Five weeks on from TKR and still cant straighten and lift leg

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a TKR with knee cap 5 weeks ago. Due to see my surgeon next week. At physio my PT is concerned because I cannot totally straighten leg and can not lift it off the bed. My bend is about 85 -90. I am mid 50s and was extremely fit beforehand and had strong legs from horse riding. I have been fitted with a new type knee Attune. I exercise several times a day and can't understand why I am not improving. I expected to be doing a lot more by now and my PT has said I need to reach a certain goal by 6 weeks which I know now is not going to happen!. Any advise gratefully received!

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a TKR in July of 2016. I had previously had a number of surgeries on the same knee including a partial replacement.  Following my tkr I was unable to straighten my knee.  I had never had that problem after any of my other surgeries.  I had two manipulations under anesthesia and a scope to clean out scar tissue and am finally able to straighten it.  I know that the manipulations are time-sensitive.  They'll typically only do them within the first 6-12 weeks depending on your surgeon.  This may be something to consider asking about.  Just throwing out possibilities.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

I am wondering if the manipulations set you back quite a way with more pain and swelling....?  Or was there progress quite quickly after?

Thanks, 

Amy

• Posted

I see my surgeon at 13 weeks to see if I require manipulation. I can straighten my leg just can't bend it properly. I'm just wondering if swelling is restricting me so I've bitten the bullet and purchased a knee cuff with cooler. It's cost £100 but if it works that is a small price to pay. I'm just wondering how long it will take for the swelling to stop 

• Posted

The manipulation didn't set me back any. They were actually somewhat helpful. At least I'm able to straighten my leg now. Unfortunately, I can only bend it to around 80. Doctor said there is nothing left to do until the replacement wears out.

• Posted

Oh no! There must be something they can do.....are they certain it fits or isn’t misaligned? I’m so sorry to hear that about your bend and being told nothing can be done! That must have been very disheartening. Do they give you a reason why this has happened?

Take care.

• Posted

They say that everything looks good in the xrays regarding the fit. Said that unfortunately, due the the number of previous surgeries, (7) that I get scar tissue too quickly for the therapy to be able to get it working properly. It's rather upsetting that I had asked them for a tkr about 5 surgeries ago but no one would do it because they said I was too young. As a result, I'm now a 44 year old who's had 7 knee surgeries and 2 manipulations. I'm in pain everyday and it's now considered chronic so I'm on pain meds indefinitely. I recently moved and the surgeon I saw said that I may find someone willing to do another surgery, but I run a greater risk of getting an infection. He said the chance of amputation could become a real possibility at that point. I'm planning on getting a second opinion, but sounds like it's just the hand I'm dealt.

• Posted

Hello Teela, I replied to your post this morning at around 9.30 am. saw it in print, since which it has disappeared off the screen and vanished = Patient have no record of it - Peculiar!   Anyway, I will repeat it as it may be of help to you.   I had my TKR 14 weeks ago, and the first day on the ward  3 of us couldn't lift our operated knee at all. I was luckly to have a good Physio chap who told me to fully tense the muscle above the knee for 10 seconds and repeat regularly.  The next day I raised the leg with no trouble at all and it has remained good ever since.  You may have already tried this, but give it another go.   Good luck

• Posted

I agree with this, you really have to lock the knee using your quad muscles to be able to move it pain free. I had problems due to bad pain just above the knee. I used a scarf to support my foot to start with but kept practising with tightening the quad and moving it that way 
  • Posted

Hi, I also am mid 50's and fit from walking miles with my springer spaniel and am 14 weeks post op. I really struggled until about 8 weeks, was very depressed and still using crutches. Could lift my leg and had reasonable bend but felt I was not progressing as quickly as I thought would being fairly young. Your physio is pushing you too hard at 5 weeks, there are no specific goals as we are all different so don't be disheartened. I to had an Attune which is supposed to be a good prosthesis, I also work where I had my operation so it is in their interest to look after me , my physio never pressured me, they are there for support and encouragement, not to bully. Good luck, it does get easier, it took me while to believe that but I am now back walking up hill and down dale again (slower down !) So feel more normal. Sue

• Posted

Love hearing success stories. I'm at week 8 now and I don't guard the knee anymore so there is an improvement there. I think a lot of the bending issues are due to tight muscles. My physio did a deep tissue massage yesterday on my quad it made my eyes water but it felt so much looser afterwards.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone who has replied to me. I went for physio on Thursday and I came away with a rehab machine ( similar to a tens machine) that I Put on my knee twice a day to stimulate my quad muscles. I still could not fully straighten and lift but did manage a 100 degree bend so not all bad! I have since been away for the weekend and did lots of walking with my crutches and also went into a pool twice and had a swim about.....breast stroke with arms and legs in crawl....also did lots of walking on the bottom and general exercises. It was so much less painful in the water smile I have physio tomorrow and my consultant on Thursday but the weekend away has given me a well earned boost, both physically and mentally and hopefully I can now start to look forward rather than wishing that I had never gone ahead with the Op! I will give an update after Thursday!
    • Posted

Great news. I also found the water a great help, doing the same breast stroke with crawl, sounds like you have turned a corner. Good luck. Sue
    • Posted

Hi Teela how are you doing now? I was excited for you that you got to 100 degree bend - do you feel it’s the rehab machine that is doing it - relaxing muscles so it would bend? Is that machine one that stimulates muscle to spasm kind of...?  Before that did your knee feel stuck, like at a certain part of the bend it just wouldn’t give past it? Just looking for ideas as so far physio not coming up with anything extra to try......and if that will help I’d like to suggest it today when I go....

Thanks and continued healing wishes to you 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.