flare up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Sorry, but I need to have a moan. I'm having a really painful flare up and feeling really fed up. Just when i thought I was on top of it too!! The problem is I can't figure out what caused this episode. Dr. says I'm doing everything right but he also said I need to be realistic and expect this to happen. Off work again. This is getting ridiculous. Be easier not to eat. Advice is so contradictory, I am confused. I really appreciate everyone's comments in this group and to be able to come on here has been a real help. Thank you and sorry for moaning.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

First of all dont be sorry for moaning! Thats how we all feel at times and especially when in pain again. It is so frustrating Pauline when you dont know whats caused it and are doing the right things. I found with my last couple of flare ups I was the same. Cant take fruit juices cos their too acidic and cant take most veg or breads etc it was fast becoming a nightmare. Was living on water, water and more water!!! But once i got back to eating I tried smoothies and just reduced my intake of any food to kids portions and so far so good but its difficult as one food can be ok one day but then pain me another day. So its just so frustrating and does get you down big time! Yesterday I was so frustrated with being ill all the time that I ended up in tears feeling sorry for myself. Personally speaking I dont know sometimes what my triggers are as every day its different, so i am learning to accept the fact its a flare up and just do my best to get through it and start again. So I understand how your feeling, its horrible! Just hang on in there and take the rest and antibiotics if you need them and see it through and start again. Its a bit rubbish i know but hey ho, it could be alot worse for us. Know how your feeling...so big hugs and lots of sympathy coming your way! Take care and hopefully things improve soon for you. Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Jane, thank you for your reply and support, I really do appreciate it. It's a horrible condition and I suppose I'm not very good at being a patient. I'm good at looking after others and heaps of patience with them. Just hate being off work and having to rest up, so I'll just try and make the most of it and do some reading and watch a couple of movies. Once again, thank you for letting me moan. P x
    • Posted

Anytime Pauline, i am the exact same myself and its this group I turn to as well. It helps alot to know you have others in the same boat. Take Care! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, it really does get you down at times and I think only fellow sufferers can truly empathise.  I was getting flare ups almost monthly and was at the point of going down the elective surgery route but because of a combination of doctors orders, advice from other sufferers on this page and following my own instincts, I haven't had a flare up for almost 10 weeks.  I make sure I eat bran every morning for breakfast, take Lepicol (recommended by another member) and drink at least 3 pints of water without fail.  Good luck.  Suggest you try giving Lepicol a go, it's worth a shot.  
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, thank you for your reply. I think you're right only other sufferers can truly empathise. Being given a test, a leaflet on diagnosis and no real information on how this condition can impact is not at all helpful.

If it wasn't for this forum and the people on it I wouldn't have a 10th of the information I do have. The lepicol you mention, I've seen it in the pharmacy but have never used it. I use fybogel and Naproxen for pain. I do feel terrible with bread so that's gone and I've cut my portion sizes down. Do you know how long it takes between eating a food and getting a reaction? Thank you for your support and keep well. P x

• Posted

If Naproxen is a NSAID then you should NOT be taking it as these are contraindicated for diverticulitis and very likely to make the condition worse.
  • Posted

Morning, know where you are coming from,know wherer you have been. 

Iam now going to preach to you about takling PROBIOTICS  They ade

DD s armour against the bacteria that are squatting in our guts, causing

mayhem for the slightest reason. continous  (2 capsules a day) sorts the

blighters out and you wil be amazed, and very happy, about the outcome I

started taking them over a year ago. and have now reached the point of no flares..B&H sell them ,I ,and NO chemicals in them. I take the one with pectin

and 3 million warriors  .

I know you may ,not believe, but there quite a few of us now taking it. all quite

happy with them

Right,-------- Iv'e done preaching at you, but Give them a go,, but don't

expect them to work overnight, and give up 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline, thank you for preaching. I appreciate it. I did take them in the early days of diagnosis. I will go and get them today. Thank you for the prompt and reminder. ☺ P x
    • Posted

Defo agree with this too. I take a small actimel every morning and then boost it in the afternoon with Acidophilus. So far so good! Xx
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I know how you feel, I was diagnosed last September and this is my first flare up since then. I started feeling odd on Saturday and by Sunday I was in a world of pain. I thought that I could fend off the antibiotics by just eating soup for a few days to rest my colon but I had to start them last night. They make me feel pretty grim themselves - I feel very sorry for myself today as I have had to call in sick.

This condition make me feel quite helpless as I have absolutely no idea what sets me off and the consultant in the hospital last year said that food was irrelevant and to eat anything I wanted. So much confusion!

I hope you feel better soon ( and me !! ) , we have to hang in there and stay positive xx

• Posted

If you take a fluoroquinolone antibiotic like Cipro for this then you might be compromising your long term health. Not all antibiotics are the same in terms of side effects and fluoroquinolones can have nasty adverse reactions which can manifest months after taking them.
    • Posted

Hi Madge, I am taking Metronidazole and co-amoxiclav with Paracetemol but one of these ( not the painkillers ) gives me proper tummy ache - just what I need !
    • Posted

The Flagyl [Metronidazole] is nasty. I felt sick as a dog on it in the hospital and also had the sensation of having tiny hairs in my mouth. I think the co-amoxiclav is the generic og Augmentin. That gave me the runs and some tummy ache.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.