Flomax

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking Tamsulosin (Flomax) for over 5 years and am dreading having to submit to any kind of surgical procedure. I will keep taking the medication until there is no other alternative but I live in the UK and Flomax seems to be unobtainable. Is there any alternative?

Many thanks for any suggestions

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i had my Turp procedure 6 weeks ago still not in control i was on tamsulosin for about 3 weeks then my Gp took me off i will be asking him to lease with my Urologist to see if i can go back on i had a catheter on for 20 months prior to surgery unable to work due to nature of my job

• Posted

Chris,

You may want to try Alfuzosin (10mg). My uro told me he is on it and that it has the best side effect profile. I had a reaction to it so now I'm on Rapaflo - which helps. Alfuzosin is probably the best one to try first.

Good luck!

• Posted

ALFUZOSIN .. Urologist Recommend it should be taken AFTER meals ; I am taking 10 mg everyday ; ( wonder in case You Checked Availability of URIMAX ---- Tamsulosin is available under brand name of Urimax in some Countries ) Best Wishes

• Posted

l had Rezum and got off Flomax. I hated that drug! I'm much better off now.

• Posted

Chris,

Many here suggesting Alfuzosin. This drug has a greater effect at lowering blood pressure and is known as an antihypertensive. So, be careful that you don't lower your blood pressure too much or you could get dizzy - just monitor your BP at home and if you switch meds make sure your BP is in a normal range.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Chris. i put up with difficulty peeing for 4 years and went for the urolift procedure which was quick and easy, nothing to worry about and very little pain. I'm 72. The result was that my urethra was totally ckeared using 3 implants on a 60cc prostate. However the improvement in peeing wasn't very much due to the bladder having lost elasticity over 4 years of it forcing urine through constricted urethra. There are a number of prostate procedures but the outcome seems to be dependent on the state of the bladder. The urologist who does the cystoscopy should tell you if your bladder is trabeculated (lost elasticity) Good news is tamsulosin is now off the menu.

I chose to have it seen to as i was fearful of it becoming an emergency and needing a catheter.

Geoff

• Posted

Geoffrey,

Did your bladder issue improve and if so, how long did this take? Or, does the issue continue. How long ago did you have the Urolift?

Tom

• Posted

Hi Chris

I had a bad reaction to Flomax - apart from retrograde ejaculation , it made my lower legs ache .

Doctor put me on Silodyx (look up the name of the chemical on the internet)

This worked ok, stil with RE , but no aches.

I had a poor sex life tho and opted for a PAE - so its back to normal in general.

I live in Durban SA, and there is a very good radiologist that diod the 2 hour painless procedure.

My PG went from 120 ml to 86 ml

From time to time I use Silodyx as well as Bet Mega 0 which apprently stops bladde irritation.

I only get up 2 x per nigh to urinate

• Posted

Hi Mr President

I lived in Durban in the 80's (Durban North) and remember my wife receiving excellent medical treatment in SA. Can you explain what the treatment was that you received from your radiologist?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hi Chris

I underwent a Prostate Artery Embolization - carried out by Dr Gareth Bydawell in Durban.

It entails the purposeful blocking of the arteries that supply the prostate gland...this results in a lack of nutrients to the PG which then shrinks - mine went from 120 ml to 86 ml in a period of about 12 months.... result was very good.

He first did a magnetic resonance scan of the PG to see where the blood vessels were.

Then he inserted a catheter up my LEFT radial artery and pushed it as far as the PG...taking x rays while dong this to make sure he was in the correct artery.

Then he injected fine particles of resin (0.2mm diameter ) into the artery - this resulted in a blockage or embolis in each of two arteries

You can call for more details if required on Whatsap on +27834480386

Regards

Mr President

• Posted

Many thanks for your detailed explanation Mr President. I will be looking to see if this procedure is available here in the UK under the NHS . If not and I can afford to pay for the operation in SA well, I've always wanted to revisit my old haunts in Durbs!

Best regards

Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.