Flooring contractor

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All, new here and just found out I need THR due to hip dysplasia. I'm a 48 year old flooring contractor and my doctor say's this will be a career ender. I have 2 children ages 6 and 10 and I'm terrified I won't be able to support my family. I've been doing flooring for 30 years and don't know any other form of income. I feel as though I'm doomed to live with this stabbing pain in my hip. The mobility of my hip is crucial after surgury and need it to be as good as before. Does anyone have experience with being able to bend their pelvic / femur further than 90 degrees after the operation.

Many thanks

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Randy,

You've come to the right place.  Here, you will hear the good the bad and the ugly (you already have).  You couldn't ask for a better group of buds.

I've read all the replies and only have three things to add.  One, an anterior procedure has no restrictions, certainly no 90 restrictions.  Two, why not simply be the "face" of your company (aka sales), just a thought, you still get to be in your line of work and finally, as others have pointed out, there are many other things you can do along these same lines.  My suggestion is perhaps looking into teaching your trade to others.  I know here in the U.S. many of our community colleges are returning to teaching the trades.  The only people who can and do teach trades are tradespeople.  This would be the one case where a teacher does not need a college degree to teach.

I know this is a very tough decision and I for one do not envy you.  

I suspect you already know you cannot go on like this until retirement age.  You currently have youth, energy and stamina on your side.

Best of luck Randy

• Posted

You all have been so helpful and informative. What a great bunch. Thank you.

I have made my 2nd opinion appointment whith a Harvard grad, Mayo grad and currently teaches at USC. One benefit of living in L.A. is I'm not limited going to see Dr. So-in-so. I actually have breader cup Dr.'s to choose from (makes me laugh that my first Dr.'s name was B. Hack).

My shoulder surgery healed amazingly- I healed so fast I was out of my sling by the end of the fourth week and off to PT.  Thanks for for all your words of wisdom and encouragement.

• Posted

This is scary news but don't despair. Flexibility should be easily achieveable with the anterior approach. I have had posterior and have instructions to  restrict movement to ninety degrees for three months and no twisting. You are not doomed but you can't ignore this. It will get worse and .. sometimes quite quickly.

• Posted

It's coming for sure... I've ignored it for eight years, babied it for two and have been on my anti-inflamitory for 7 months... the pills work but not as good as they did even 7 months ago. I saw Dr. Hack today and he said it could be next week or 16 years but a new hip is coming - hows that for a time frame.

• Posted

The time frame is tricky particularly in young patients, as we go down hill fast because we are using our joints so much - active life and busy. Yes it could be very quick at the end so be prepared both mentally and in other ways, so you are ready to do it.

I left mine for years and regret it actually, but you have time now - a window of opportunity to think about your business and how it can work - and get your life in order so you can be ready to get fixed once and for all.

• Posted

Yes it's funny how fear and avoidance can stop you from doing what you need to do ..and how long you can justify and minimize and bargain with upping the medications and walking around like quasiMoto but one day....it comes... The fact that you can no longer walk it all suddenly makes it very clear that the gig is up..

• Posted

I agree with Richard. You may well find you can carry on with your old job. After having my hip done I continued doing lots of manual work and I didn't feel the hip was a problem. Working on your knees all day is probably more difficult than digging or chopping up trees but don't gve up hope.

Mike

• Posted

Hi. I have had 1 hip replaced due to the same problem. Was 52. Just waiting on the other hip to be done. You will need to take plenty of time to fully recover. Go to a physio and get really good exercises. These need to be done for ever so yr leg stays strong. I know this from experience. I stopped after about 6 months and my muscles lost some strength. I work with special needs kids so I do need to get up and down from the floor. I can fully squat and crouch. Kneel and sit on the floor. Sometimes need to push up with 1 hand to get up. I would say don't ever lay carpet again if that's part of yr job but after time you should be able to get back to most of it. I would also recommend a kneeler with handles to get up and down all day. I know this will be a pain but some sideways thinking and some modifications around how you do things at work should help. Better than not working. Again. Key note. Strengthening exercises and always do them.

Super good luck!!

• Posted

Thank you. Those were some of the best words of encouragement. Everybody has been so honest and that's what someone in my (our) possition really needs. Not the "pertect my malpractice insurance" advice I feel like I'm getting from doctors.

• Posted

Randy,

Even with the problems I had (I had revision on my THR just 10 weeks after the operation), I was up on my shed roof after a few months to fix it.

As others have said, stick with this forum, you'll get loads of help and support here.

I did set up my own website to help newbies - with tips and advice, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Dear Graham

That's what I like to hear, well done! We are all different but I think it is a mistake to be limited in your expectations by others. Just as important is not to push faster than your body or you are comfortable with.

Confidence, common sense and a positive attitude are all important factors in one's recovery as is fitness, good health, not smoking and low alcohol input.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Your an exception rocket 🚀 man!! I had revision 3 weeks after first rhr and am struggling 9 months later!!

• Posted

Richard, Linda,

We have to list to our own body, not someone else's expectations of what we should be able to do.

Revision just three weeks after sounds awful, you didn't get any time to recover from the first one.  Why did yours have to be revised?

I have just retired, so have had to break the 'low alcohol' rule for a bit cheesygrin

Graham

• Posted

Hey 🚀!! 😁 Revision was because I dislocated my first hip replacement surgery and had been walking around on it dislocated for at least a week. Dr was going to pop it back in but couldn't do it he had to go in again and found the cup was loose the stem also. The ball of the hip was caught on back side of cup. I should of gone in earlier than 3 weeks.....I noticed the hip was higher and when in bed the leg was very short, my foot was touching the ankle of good leg. I have a lot of regrets.....I'm so depressed....this is NOT what i was expecting........don't mean to be so negative but right now that's where I'm at. Wishing you all the best. LD

• Posted

Dear Linda

Yes I do remember now and how terribly disappointing and of course you will be feeling pretty low. I would be gutted.

Have you any idea why the cup fitting had become loose? Did you have some sort of misadventure?

All the best Richard

• Posted

Honestly Richard I don't know how this happened!! I remember an incident where I twisted and felt a pain in buttock but after a day it went away. I also remember in hospital that I was walking with physical therapist and I remember walking on my tippy toes on the operated leg. I told therapist but nothing. So honestly I'm not sure when, where or how it happened. Hence my depression. I know it's gonna be a long while for recovery. Just not what I was expecting

• Posted

Dear Linda

Thanks for explaining, how very upsetting for you. These things happen but not nice.

All the best

Richard

• Posted

Linda,

How awful for you, we are a couple of fairly rare cases, I have not heard of your problem occuring to anyone else - not that it makes it any easier on you.   We are all told that dislocation is one of the most common risks, and I am guessing that your dislocation caused the cup and stem to come loose?  I guess that all this should be easily repairable, although it's yet another operation (and early recovery) for you to endure just as I had to.  You need to try to be positive, at least this time you 'know the ropes'.

Best wishes, do keep in touch.

Graham 🚀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.