Flooring contractor

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All, new here and just found out I need THR due to hip dysplasia. I'm a 48 year old flooring contractor and my doctor say's this will be a career ender. I have 2 children ages 6 and 10 and I'm terrified I won't be able to support my family. I've been doing flooring for 30 years and don't know any other form of income. I feel as though I'm doomed to live with this stabbing pain in my hip. The mobility of my hip is crucial after surgury and need it to be as good as before. Does anyone have experience with being able to bend their pelvic / femur further than 90 degrees after the operation.

Many thanks

2 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

WOW... Okay mental note: DO NOT DISLOCATE NEW HIP!
    • Posted

Randy I do believe the first 6 weeks are pretty crucial as to adhering to the rules of no bending no twisting no going past 90. For most people after that they are able to do just about anything. I think though never crossing your leg is a lifetime thing with artificial hips. Im still at no hip flexion past 90. But my dr has been very cautious with me and my situation. So are you contemplating hip replacement surgery soon? LD
    • Posted

No leg crossing posterior approach for 6 weeks in my case. Here I happily sit with legs crossed.
    • Posted

You guys are awesome... I was pulling my hair out, stomping my feet screaming NO, NO, NO! but between all your posts and the pro-baseball players story (I just installed a rubber gym material for him) I'm feeling pretty optomistic. June 2nd I see one of the best (Harvard, Mayo, USC) and we'll see what he says. Compaired to a lot of what I've read I'm in early stages and now might be the right time.

Thank you all for your response!

• Posted

Dear Linda

I've been crossing my legs for as long as I can remember though I may have avoided it in the first few weeks. Much of my building work involved getting into really odd positions so I think you are being a bit too pessimistic!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Randy

One other option you might want to look at is hip resurfacing. This was pioneered by Derek McMinn here in the UK and he has a website. He mostly treats sportspeople who get back to competitive sport after surgery. Google McMinn and you will find his site.

But I also looked at an interesting video showing a hip replacement operation by Pasquale Petrera (google him and you will find it) He seems not to give patients any restrictions, even in the first 6 weeks. He is in Maryland

Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.