Flu and Pneumonia Shots

Posted , 17 users are following.

Have any PMR sufferers been recommended by their doctors to get flu shot? Since I am over 65, doctor also insists I get the 5-year pneumonia shot (which I got 4 years ago) and apparently, there'is another lifetime Pneumonia shot being recommended. I hate taking all these shots! However, my doctor says PMR will be greatly affected should I get the flu or, God forbid, pneumonia. Look forward to your resonses.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had both shots last year (and I turned 65) and no effects. Get it!
  • Posted

Hey tpaggs, yes you definitely should get both the flu and pneumococcal vaccines!!!!

Tinaj ❤️

• Posted

Hi, I had both my shots about 5 months ago, and all was ok. I am 68 and also Recommend you get both : But of course that is your decision : Cheers
    • Posted

Did you get both shots at the same time?
    • Posted

You can have flu and a pneumococcal shot at the same time although they must be separated by at least 2.5cm/1 inch or, preferably, given in totally different sites.

There are two forms of the pneumococcal shot - PCV13 and PPV23. The first is normally used for small children, the second for adults. It is now recommended that adults over 65 and younger with immune system problems get both done. They must be given on separate occasions. See my post above.

• Posted

I had one pneumococcal shot several years ago which my, then, doctor said was good for 5 years.  However, my current doctor tells me that there is another one-time pneumococcal shot.  Is that the PPV23?  If so, what was the 5-year shot called?
    • Posted

The older shot for pneumonia was called Pneumovax. It was given to persons under age 60 with pulmonary and other medical problems and or over age 60 to everyone. If given over age 60 then no booster was needed. If under age 60 then another shot in 10 years.

The Prevnar is a newer vaccine for additional strains of pneumococcal pneumonia not prevented by Pneumovax.

• Posted

Thanks!  My doctor, though, told me it was only good for 5 years.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry so late to answer: No I had them a few weeks apart smile  all went well, I'm 68 and thought it best to have them : 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.