Flu symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all

I joined this group a few weeks ago but this is my first time posting a question in here.

Iv been diagnosed with copd I’m 51, it’s been explaine there’s 3 levels and I’m level 2. Yesterday I started sneezing non stop Iv had a headache for a few days. 

I have a cpap machine I’m trialing at the min  thought that’s what had given me a headache?.

My question is I’m prescribed antibiotics & steroids to have in ready incase I get an infection how do I know when the time is needed to take them I have flu symptoms but my chest atm seems fine any advise please. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Referring to your question Lesley;

quote:  My question is I’m prescribed antibiotics & steroids to have in ready incase I get an infection how do I know when the time is needed to take them I have flu symptoms but my chest atm seems fine any advise please.  unquote

Getting a cold or the flu may not result in a chest infection.  Its unwise to take the meds when you do not have an infection.

You should have been given and information page at the time your were issued with the emergency pack.  If you were go check what it says.  If you were not make a telephone appointment with your doctor and discuss this and your current symptoms.

In addition you may want to ask for referral for a pulmonary rehabilitation course, a lung exercise and education programme which will result in better awareness of how to manage your illness and the symptoms to your best advantage.

You may also want to read this page:

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet/acute-exacerbations-of-copd-copd-flare-ups

If coughing up discoloured sputum that is a sure sign of infection and so is a worsening of symptoms, regardless you should discuss when you should take your emergency medicines with your doctor or respiratory nurse and you should have a copy of when and how to keep at home along with your emergency pack of ABs and prednisolone steroids.

Hope you are feeling better soon and your symptoms do not development into a chest infections.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.