Fluid round my knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so i woke up 4 weeks ago with a very sore swollen knee, ive never had pain before nor bannged it (that i know of) ive had a mri scan that was quite normal but shows some fluid under my knee cap, my doctor has sent word for phsyo (still waiting) ... should i be in this much pain an should my knee feel this weak from fluid ?? Im limping about witch is causeing pain in other areas i cant even bend down 😣 im only 36 i can do my job properly i cant do anything to do with my legs at the gym its gettin me down !!!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fluid on the knee can be very painful & debilitating.

Has your GP referred you to an Orthopaedic consultant, or just for physio? Personally I would push for referral to the orthopods.

Fluid on the knee can be caused by several things & the cause needs to be identified so a proper treatment plan can be implemented.

Physiotherapy should help, but unless you know the reason why it happened you may just have recurrences. So best sorted now esp as you are so young & it's impacting your life now.

Please let us know how you get on.

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hii sorry for late reply, no he hasnt reffered me to a doctor hes sayin try phsyo first ... on that note im goin bk today as im in so much pain my bones round my knee feel like there brused i had to take pain killers before i got out of bed thismorning... n yess i agree its caused by somethig but there telling me the mri was ok 😣 it really is draining me of my every day life xx

• Posted

Ive been refered to a orthopidic doctor now just waitin on an app

Im still in agony an my knee flares up every couple of days today an yesterday have been draining 😣 xx

• Posted

Back in my 50's, I had four knee "incidents"...X-Rays and MRIs showed nothing...which I find out later is a very frequent occurrence.  In each case, the doc had to "scope" the knees.  Found two torn menisci and two ripped off femoral condyle cartilages...that's two each side over about six years.  MRI's are frequently inconclusive...get it scoped...

• Posted

My friend who has looke all this up has said the same as you mris arnt best known for knee things ... an im worried to b in this much pain still yet there telling me the mri was ok 😣 im goin back to the doctors today an im going to keep going back xx

• Posted

My doctor has refered me today 😣 does a scope hurt? Im such a wimp xx

• Posted

A scope is a much different story.  A fluid extraction is one needle...over in less than 10 seconds total.  You walk out of the office.  If the doc is going to perform an arthroscopy on your knee, then that's general anesthesia followed by three small band-aids to cover the tiny incisions (I've had four of these).  You'll be off your feet for two days; ice (usually with an AirCast or Cryocuff) and elevate; take your pain meds.  Takes about a week total to recover.

Again, I had four...each one done on a Friday.  Every time, I was back to work on Monday with my portable CryoCuff for another few days.  Done.  No brace, no rehab.  BUT...

These were done for two torn menisci and two ripped off femoral condyle cartilages.  Simple fixes.  Ops for ACLs and MCLs are way more extensive and painful plus have much longer recoveries.  All depends on what the doc finds inside the knee.  You never know until you wake up. 

• Posted

🤔 still no app yet.. my knee was swollen massive yesterday an today again so its flared up ...

I cant wait to find out what is wrong i want my propa life back its draininf me .... im such a wimp at anything so the thought of scopes n needles to drain it is scareing the life out me

Is draining a last resort? I just feel like they left me an dont absloulity nothing for me 😣 xx

• Posted

How were your torn menisci?

Im confused as i just woke up like this im unawere how or if ive even done anything xx

• Posted

I've had one knee drained a couple of times.  Sometimes they will take a sample to determine the cause of infection.

• Posted

Is it a last resort draining? I feel like theyv just left me an dpin absloulity nothing 😣

• Posted

I have two bad knees.  One was replaced last year.  The other one that was drained (almost two years ago) is ok so far. It is delicate from overuse and arthritis.   I did have it drained a couple of times and a cortisone shot for the pain done a couple of times after draining.   It is really isn't painful compared to how it was before drainage.  It will be a relief for you I would imagine. 

• Posted

Im assuming it comes on on an off for a while if its arthritis? How long did it take to diagnose you?? Xx
    • Posted

I was already seeing the ortho for a shoulder ailment so it was not difficult to see him timewise.  I was always athletic but had previous falls, twists of the knee, so I knew that the knee should be iced and elevated with lots of rest.  I would not see a chiropractor. 
    • Posted

Ahhh so urs was defo caused by doing them things .. i really have no clue how or why ive got mine 😣

Wpuld you not? How come? Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.