Fluoxetine and Acid Reflux?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone had stomach or Acid reflux problems with this, like a feeling there is food stuck down the throat? I'm not sure if something (either this, or my Asthma inhalers) have inflamed my Oesophagus.. And it makes it feel like there's a lump in my throat.. And swallowing is hard. I know it's a side effect, but has anyone else had this? It's been with me since Sunday now.. I had Diarrhoea for the first three weeks I was on this.. Only since Sunday, when I had a big meal, has this lump in throat thing and my "stools" have become more normal and I'm going to the toilet less.. I've been taking my Asthma inhalers more too.. And they're anti-inflammatory but it has felt like my sinuses etc were inflamed too. I'm proper fed up.. I'm going to the Dr on Tuesday, if it's not bad enough I was feeling depressed now I've got to deal with bloating, a lump in the throat, difficulty swallowing and an excessive amount of YAWNING! 

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I.m a victim of the acid reflux thing too, or at least I was, I've got medication for it, but the single best thing to prevent it happening whilst asleep at night was to raise the head of my bed by approx 6 inches, sounds daft perhaps but believe me it works! The madication I take is Lansoprazole tablet, one morning, one night, and Peptac Liquid after meals, it's a Gaviscon type anti acid stuff, Hope this helps and good luck with doctors app.
    • Posted

the indigestion with prozac can be avoided by drinking a a glass of water with it which is why seltzer also works. its caused by the gel coating i have been told . since doing that i have not gotten indigestion again from taking prozac

• Edited

Yes I suffered from the swallowing problem, I had attacks of not being able to swallow so I was always trying to swallow to see if I could!!! Crazy I know plus I had a feeling like I had something stuck in my throat & a tight chest so I took myself back to the docs & she explained it was side effects of the flux damping down the anxiety causing this & within 2 weeks it had gone. When it used to happen she told me to take a drink but use a straw & this really helped. If you are worried go back to your docs for reassurance I used to go every week with a list of how I was feeling & she would explain what were side effects & what was real & at the end of 8 weeks my list had only 2 symptoms on it - tiredness & no motivation both of which have now almost dissapeared - it took 3 months to get here but so worth it. Good luck & let us know how you get on xx
    • Posted

That kind of makes sense I suppose. Because when you feel that anxiety (I was feeling suicidal), it sort of starts in your stomach really doesn't it.. Thinking about it..

I've been on 20mg for a month and a half though.. And it only started last Sunday, I will tell the Dr though, indeed! And I will report back!

• Posted

Oh my God I'm on 5th week n get shakes inside n feel I can't swallow thank God read this thought was dying

• Posted

Same with me thought was dying yes my throat keep swallowing to make sure I can n I got shakes in belly feel like I'm on edge all time can't wait to feel normal God help us all

• Edited

I also have the swallowing problem and stomach irritation and bloating. Be sure and take flu with food.
  • Edited

I too have this lump. I'm constantly swallowing to try and clear my throat, reading your thread has given some relief to know im not alone. I have no appetite either and loosing weight, think I might invest in some nourishment so I'm getting my vitamins and minerals.

Take care all.

• Edited

I use to have the same problem with my antidepressant! I started using seltzer water to take my fluoxetine and have had no heartburn since!!

The seltzer is super carbonated and helps you swallow the pills without having them coat your esophagus

• Posted

Are you taking the capsules or regular tablets? I am wondering if this problem just occurs with the capsules.
    • Edited

You are a lifesaver! Sitting at work with the lump and couldn't take it any longer. No seltzer here but I got a Diet Coke - so much better! I think the capsules gets stuck! Best suggestion yet!

Laura

• Posted

I have had the same problem! It gives me reflux and it feels like I have a pill stuck in my throat. It's terrible. I have found that taking Fluoxetine with food OR a carbonated beverage definitely helps digest it better. Hope this helps!

• Posted

OMG !! I Thought Zi Was Alone. Horrible Heartburn. Hoping Someone May Zgive Me Advice ?? Started Fluoxetine HCL and Bupropion HCL. XL 3 Days Ago. VERY FATIGUEED With Heartburn. I Went To Doctor To Remedy Fatigue and Disinterest. Has Anyone Gone Down This Road ? Does Energy Eventually Come ? Does Heartburn Fade ?? Sorry, I'm New To All. God Bless You ALL 😘

• Posted

Hey william21337. I still get the heart burn and sometimes it feels like it's Stuck in my throat. I usually take mine with food OR a carbonated beverage (soda, carbonated juices, etc.) and it helps IMMENSELY. It's totally normal though and a lot of people experience it. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.