Fluoxetine and Acid Reflux?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Has anyone had stomach or Acid reflux problems with this, like a feeling there is food stuck down the throat? I'm not sure if something (either this, or my Asthma inhalers) have inflamed my Oesophagus.. And it makes it feel like there's a lump in my throat.. And swallowing is hard. I know it's a side effect, but has anyone else had this? It's been with me since Sunday now.. I had Diarrhoea for the first three weeks I was on this.. Only since Sunday, when I had a big meal, has this lump in throat thing and my "stools" have become more normal and I'm going to the toilet less.. I've been taking my Asthma inhalers more too.. And they're anti-inflammatory but it has felt like my sinuses etc were inflamed too. I'm proper fed up.. I'm going to the Dr on Tuesday, if it's not bad enough I was feeling depressed now I've got to deal with bloating, a lump in the throat, difficulty swallowing and an excessive amount of YAWNING! 

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I will definitely try taking it with soda.  I was trying to stop drinking it, but not now.  I thought sure I was having a heart attack.  Will this lump in the throat and reflux go away soon. Other then this side affect has the med. worked for you?
  • Posted

I have been taking Fluoxetine for 18 months, and I am currently trying to wean myself off the meds, at first I was on 40mg day - constant yawning was the only side effect I really had. Now, I'm taking 20mg every other day and I am suffering a horrible lump in throat type feeling. I take my meds in the morning and it happens immediately after I have swallowed the capsule. it drives me mad as it can last all day. I don't understand why its just started happening now and not 18 months ago?! lol 

• Posted

hi ive been taking fluextine for about 3-4 weeks and also everyday i get throat tightness and i have bad acid reflux im absolutely miserable im thinking if stopping the meds becuz the tightness is affecting my life and it seems like its a reaction to the meds i am only in 10 mgs but it hasnt helped the tightness one bit? anyone else feel the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.