Fluoxetine apetite and weight changes..

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all...

I lost around 4 kg or 8 lbs in 22 days of taking fluoxetine.

Is it normal?

I am sort of afraid to eat...and my appetite was completely lost...

I need your opinion on this...

You had weight loss yourself and how much?

You have any idea how much is normal to loose weight? And when the appetite will come back?

Thanks in advance..to everyone...

A

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm on my fourth week of flu and my appetite has been up and down, one minute I'm starving and the next I'm not hungry at all, and I've read a lot online that it is quite normal for people losing weight on these meds, it can be one of the reasons people are prescribed them in the first place, for over eating due to depression, so don't let it worry you

Jo x

• Posted

Thanks jo.

Are you on 20mg?

Today is day 23 so I am on week four too.

How do you feel?

A x

A

• Posted

I was on 20mg for the first two weeks but then got my dose increased to 40mg which is now where I feel at my worst, I was going to decrease the dose myself back to 20 again but after reading on here I'm going to stick it out. Do you see any improvement in yourself yet? Other than the appetite being a bit up and down x
    • Posted

I must admit I see some changes and I hope it will cure me. I tried 40mg but only 3 days. I will go with 20 till the end of week 4.

I go literally through hell...everything happened to me:

Fear,high anxiety,depression,awful thoughts,hypochondriac thoughts,loss of appetite,loss of weight,racing heart,sweat,terrible mornings and ect...

Very slowly one by one I feel they are subsiding...and I hope they will disappear..

When I finish week 4 I will consult my Dr should we move on higher dose explaining to him exactly how I feel then...

What did you suffer?

• Posted

I had excately everything you've had and am still having, it's awful and feels like it will never end, think I should of really done what you're doing and stuck with the 20mg for now. Glad to hear your side effects are gradually going though, there's been a lot of good things said about these meds so I'm just holding onto that, are you taking yours mainly for depression or anxiety too? Mines purely for very bad anxiety x
    • Posted

I am taking it for anxiety,panic attacks. 20 mg in the morning.

Panic attacks stopped but still fighting with the side effects....

Hope everything will be ok...

Let's stay in touch.we are at the same time week 4 I mean..and we can follow up our treatment...

..how old are you....I am male 38 years old...

• Posted

Looks like we're both in the same boat then, yes sounds like a good idea, hopefully by next week we should start seeing less side effects, im 24
  • Posted

Hi Alex,

I'm on 20mg also and I'm on my 5th week. I lost 5kg and still haven't gained it back, I now weigh less than 8 stone and I'm being tested for anemia now too!!

I think loss of appetite is normal on these tablets from what I've seen :-)

Leah

• Posted

Thanks Leah,

That's a truly relief when someone is suffering the same.

Are you feeling better?

Does your appetite slowly goes back?

A

• Posted

Hi,

I'm very slowly starting to see improvements in the depression, not as much as I'd like though!

The appetite is slowly coming back but it's very up and down. At the start I couldn't even manage just toast in a day, but now I can have a sandwich or maybe a microwave meal, I can't manage a full cooked meal as of yet

Last week I felt like my appetite was coming back and I'd put weight on but now its gone back down again so it's a waiting game really!

Leah

• Posted

Hi Alex

I lost 7lb when I first started and had no appetite at all. I'm week 14 now and my appetite has improved but I haven't regained the weight but haven't lost any more either! I think its quite common another side effect of fluoxetine while your body adjusts to it.

Take care

Katie x

• Posted

Thanks so much katie.

Your words are encouraging for me.

How are you feeling in week 14? I am in week 4...

• Posted

Hi,

It's a hell of a journey isn't?

I must say I see some improvements now in week 4 but they say for completely curing the symptoms we need 6 months...

I will stick on 20mg per day until the end of the week 4 and then I will ask the Dr should I go up on 40 or not....

Do you feel the side effects yet or they are subsiding?

Rgds

A

• Posted

Hi,

At week 4 I asked if I should move up but she said she wouldn't have expected too much improvement until 6-8 weeks, and then 6 months for a good amount of progression!

Some side effects I find are subsiding, for example I don't shake as much any more and I'm finding motivation is coming back a little. Although sleep is still unbalanced, I wake at least 3 times a night for about half an hour then I'm wide awake at 6ish even if I don't sleep til 1! Sleep is the only thing I'd like to fix!!

How're your side effects?

Leah

• Posted

I go literally through hell...everything happened to me:

Fear,high anxiety,depression,awful thoughts,hypochondriac thoughts,loss of appetite,loss of weight,racing heart,sweat,terrible mornings and ect...

I was and I am still unable to sleep as I slept before..

In the morning it's so difficult to get up,dress up and start the day....during the day I must admit I am more and more becoming myself but far from being myself truly...

My panic attacks stopped...and that gave me hope also...

From the other side the side effects means that the medicine is working also but we have to be patient I think....

I am 38 male...How about you?

• Posted

Ahh I feel for you! My side effects have been quite reasonable - if you can ever call them that! The only thing that worries me other than sleep is that I have dreams when I do sleep that are so realistic I have to question it when I wake up!

I understand what you mean about getting up and getting dressed, I struggle because I'm so tired. I really dread weekends because everyone goes out and if I do go out I need a day or two to recover from just one night - even if I haven't drank! I seem to have to stick to my routine at home or it all goes down sad

I'm female 18. So none of my friends understand how tired and exhausted I am when I say I don't feel like going out!!

• Posted

I feel so much better almost back to normal! But its been a long struggle on times. I had 4 weeks on 20mg then increased to 40mg. The side effects have been awful just as I got rid of one another one came along.

It took me to around 6 weeks to feel any improvement & then it was very slowly. But eventually I started to have more good days than bad days and even started to feel happy again something I hadn't felt for a long time!

It is a tough journey but worth it when you finally get there. It's still early days for you yet but stick with. I found this site really helpful just reading that other people felt the same & encouraging to read that people got well!!

I wish you all the best

Katie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.