Fluoxetine apetite and weight changes..

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all...

I lost around 4 kg or 8 lbs in 22 days of taking fluoxetine.

Is it normal?

I am sort of afraid to eat...and my appetite was completely lost...

I need your opinion on this...

You had weight loss yourself and how much?

You have any idea how much is normal to loose weight? And when the appetite will come back?

Thanks in advance..to everyone...

A

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi... it's my first day on these my doctor gave me them today as my anxiety is very bad and causeing me to hurt myself to stop me from thinking the things I am (it's a way of me copeing but I way I need to stop) I hope they work for me.. and I dnt get worse...

• Posted

I realize this thread started over 2 years ago but thought I'd chime in here with my own experience. I have been dieting for years - in fact for most of my life and never could lose much weight.

I was put on Fluoxetine 1 month ago for anxiety, and take 10 mgs each day. And I have suddenly lost 12 lbs this first month, without even trying! Not only is my anxiety way down, but I am losing weight and couldn't be happier. I still have 20 lbs to go but figure it'll eventually come off, little by little.

I should have taken this medicine years ago when my anxiety (panic attacks) started. Oh well, better late than never!

• Posted

So happy to hear that Vicky! My old med made me put on so much weight. I was lethargic! Since my breakdown (late May)  and being put on  fluox (mid June) I've lost 48 lbs! Doing absolutely nothing lol

• Posted

I'm so glad I found this feed! 

Since I started my first medication (sertralin) i feel like Iv have gained so much weight! Which I feel effects my anxiety and depression  😞  is so annoying because everything else has gone really well! 

Next week I will start flu so hopefully this works better for me! 

Although I am worried about the side effects in the beginning with flu?! As with my other medication there were some whilst my body adjusted but it wasn't anything un bearable 

B x 

• Posted

Hi B! 

Exactly the same! I was on seroxat for years, it's been almost 11 weeks now on the fluox and I've been steady at 53 lbs lost. Haven't gained anything back which is nice!  The side effects can be a little brutal, but I hear this is one of the best SSRI's out there and people seem to have good success with it. It's just a pain to get on! Good luck smile you may be one of the lucky ones and not have any side effects at all ????

xx Laura 

• Posted

I know this is an old thread but I've just started taking this and felt I'd suddenly lost weight and I've lost 5 pounds in 4 days!!!

I've struggled with weight loss due to having crohns so I'm not complaining 

I have however had really bad broken sleep and hot flushes so far as other side effects.

Do these side effects ever go away? 

• Posted

Hey Alex

I am back on them after a year off.

Appetite comes and goes really after about 3 weeks but in general I find that I just don't fancy anything, when normally I would eat a million biscuits, on flu I just don't want to. Last year i lost about 10lb in 6 weeks or so. I tapered and when i stopped taking it i did gain a few pounds back but thats because i am just greedy. Im not allowing that again. I think there is an elemant of metabolism boosting with fluoxetine. That nervous energy burns loads of calories. That's the part I like. I don't enjoy the lack of sex drive ( not that I have one anyway!) I also have no emotions or feelings when on it. Very strange . Also constipation, but that could e due to lack of nutrition, and I don't sleep too well, but to be fair I don't sleep that great anyway.

So to answer your question, I would predict a good few pound weight loss during the first 2 to 3 months, then it slows down as your body adjusts. Everyone is different though. Good luck ! I hope you have a successful journey and you find happiness 😍

• Posted

🙈I've just noticed that you posted this 4 months ago.

How are you getting on ? I hope you have adjusted well.

Take care

Amanda ?

• Posted

Hi guys I’ve come off fluoxetine for many years straight swap next day to citalapram I was on them for 5 weeks then got changed next day to venlafaxine... I’ve got absolutely no appetite I’ve lost around 10kgs in 8 weeks and when I lay down at night I’m getting pins and needles in my hands...

My insomnia is so bad im having to take quatiapine has any one else suffered from this it’s been even a pretty scary ride 

• Posted

How much Prozac did you take ? This may be a late reply sorry it’s been 3 years lol
    • Posted

I was only on 20mg of fluoxetine am now on venlafaxine 75mg 
  • Posted

I found that taking 20mg everyday for the last 12 days have started to make me binge again.  The first few days I felt normal now it’s like a high on a binge and the high lasts for a hour when I wake up 
  • Posted

Oh my, wish I had found this thread when I first started taking Flu (thought you were all getting ill before I realsed that you meant Fluoxetine- lol). 

I'm on my 2nd month now- the first was pure hell, but I'm so glad I stuck with it as I feel so much more normal and can start to live.

My side effects were very much like getting the flu or a virus. I was so fatigued and my chest hurt. It was as if my depression had manifested itself into a physical form that I just couldn't get away from, or hide. I'd been hiding it for years. I was unable to get out of bed for a couple of weeks and everything was so much worse than the doctor had explained. She said I would feel worse and I presumed it was mentally rather than physical. I was tired, had headaches, dizziness, would pass out from exhaustion if I did anything for more than an hour or two, increased anxiety and fear. 

I had started taking Flu in the mornings but ended up switching the times to the evenings as I slept as soon as I took them. 

I'd recommend anyone taking them to test the time of day that best works for them. If they give you more energy and keep you awake, take them in the am, if they make you fall asleep, take them in the pm. 

Emotionally I feel stronger, I cant recall when the last time I felt this good. 

I did stumble on this thread though as now that I have motivation, I've started dieting and exercise. I was getting concerned that eating 1200 calories now seems like a chore. Most people complain that 1200 isn't enough and I'm having the opposite problem....

If it's a side effect of the drug I feel better, I shall trust MFP again smile

Thank you for starting this thread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.