Fluoxetine for 12 weeks. Feeling very low. Can anyone help...has anyone had the same experience?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i'm new here. I am 48, have PCOS, depression and anxiety and lost my Mum a year ago (have now lost both my Mum and Dad...I have a very supportive husband and daughter.....but its not helping me right now for some reason. I've been on Fluoxetine for 12 weeks now (started on 20mg, upped to 40mg by dr 3 weeks ago now) and I feel like i'm feeling worse than ever, periods constantly and all over the place with cycles and heavy bleeding...dr thinks prob perimenopause-had abdominal scan last week and all seems fine. I initially was on Zoplicone alongside the Fluoxetine for a few weeks...and there were a few days where I felt cocooned and positive and happy and very calm...but since stopping the Zoplicone (as I didn't want to stay on anything that could become addictive and dr said it could), i've gone hugely downhill. I am barely going out, in my pyjamas all day and just feeling awful...haven't cried for a few weeks...but its ALL I feel like doing at the moment. Something tells me to keep with it...mainly because i'm frightened of going on another AD and the fact that I am managing to sleep better than before...but the cons are currently outweighing the pro's right now. I have pain in my stomach from anxiety every day, feel very very low and am just not interested in anything at all. The med has also affected my sex drive, orgasm, my appetite....and I feel lost and so low.   I'm not seeing my dr until a few weeks from now as she's off on holiday. Has anyone had similar feeling or experience? I don't know what to do...whether to stick with the Fluoxetine and hope that things get better...or whether I need to be trying something else. I am so confused, I feel like I change my mind every second of the day. Mornings seems to feel slightly better...but by early afternoon I start to feel worse and worse and by night time, i'm really low and just want to sleep so another day is over.  I would really appreciate help, many thanks.x

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi LJK, how are things going? Hope you're doing better c

• Posted

Hi there,

How are you doing?

Its been non stop- we've had an offer accepted on a property we  really love and now just hoping we can get an offer on ours, i'vea few viewings next week. I honestly can't believe i've been setting the wheels in motion a dealing with all of this...but in a way I think the meds and the activity ishelping me stay super focussed! so am just hoping and praying everything goes to plan X

• Posted

Hey LJK, how're doing?

I hope you're doing well and the move is going well xx

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm so sorry I haven't been in touch, I have just been reading about how you've been feeling..

I hope that things begin to feel better for you. 

I fear now I began to run before I can walk...

I'm now is a postion of limbo which is not going well with me.

We had an offer accepted on our new place...but so far no interest in ours...which means we could lose out.. and there aren't a lot of other places that would be good for us other than this one.

Its left me in a feeling of limbo and frustration and have been feeling down again because of that.

I think because it was such a big thing to do after 11 years of living here and that the final move will be our forever home..I just want it to work out so we can have a brighter future...and so far I feel that's slipping through my fingers..

not a lot I can do about it but wait and see how things go.

I am thinking of you and hope you begin to feel better. I know how hard it can be.

Take care. God bless. X

• Posted

Hi there,

Just wondered how you were doing?

I made a huge mistake puttin gour house up for sale and that has been sorted out today...we took the house off the market!

So angry that just as I was beginning to feel better...I put myself under unnecessary stress and sleepless nights and anxiety...for nothing.

Searching for a fresh start that doesn't exist. I just pushed myself cause I was feeling better and its taken me down so badly so now i've got to start all over again...hard slog but onwards and upwards...hubby and daughter have been brilliant.

At least now I can put my mind at rest and settle in my home now instead of my head being all over the place-its been super stressful.

Its where we've been for the last 11 years and where we will stay and we are ALL relieved..

never again going down that thought process...

• Posted

Aww Hun I'm sorry that you're going through that. Sometimes we really want to make changes and it's not always the right choice. At least you stopped before the house was sold and you also realised that it's not what you wanted. Don't dwell on it, it's happened and it's now the past. Concentrate on the future with your lovely family. That's the advice I was given and I'm trying to follow. It's easier said than done I know but we can do this.

Life is truly like a rollercoaster, but as least we have loved ones to help us through it.

I've had an up and down couple of weeks tonne honest. I feel like my anxiety is a yoyo. I am learning slowly each day that I'm managing it and still going out and doing things with family and friends. Hormones are a pain in the butt however I'm going to win this ( again that's what I keep telling myself lol).

The other day I had a really good cry and actually felt better for it. Anxiety always makes our problems seem so much worst than what it is. I get that but when going through the motions is hard to think that way.

Keep your head up and smile Hun. Things will get better.

God bless x

• Posted

Thank you so so much for that.

I really will follow your advice and hope that you continue to be strong and such a great example to people who are struggling, even when you're struggling yourself..

God bless you X

• Posted

Thanks Hun. Your advice means a lot to me as well. I don't feel like I'm alone with this illness anymore. Let me know how you get on.

Take care x

• Posted

That's exactly how I feel and i'm sorry for not being around much recently ..but i'm here now if you need me anytime.

Thanks for everything, it really does help X

• Posted

No worries smile. I know life can be so hectic at times. Some days I struggle to get past 2 hours and at other times it goes so quickly. X

• Posted

Hey LJK68, how're you doing? I hope things have settled down x

• Posted

Hi there,

Unfortunately not..my estate agent talked me into leaving my house on the market a little longer.. because despite how much I love my home..it is going to take quite a bit of money over the years to replace windows etc and all of that adds to the stress really...that's why its very tempting to move to a new place with nothing falling apart and for a fresh start...

haven't been sleeping or eating properly and have felt at my lowest for a while...but trying my very best to get through it all.

How are you feeling?

Have you been doing ok?

• Posted

Hi LJK, I'm sorry to hear that Hun. In the long run perhaps it's the right thing. Easier said than done, but try not to stress out. Are you still going for walks?

I've been having ups and downs but I'm battling through it. Sleep has been up and down and that's causing more anxiety attacks. Not sure if the time of year is affecting us, also the full moon. Who knows?

Big hugs for you and remember we are here if you need to vent.

I find being on here really helps me so much.

God bless x

• Posted

Hiya,

no...i've unfortunately let everything slide...just as I was beginning to feel better...this has all just engulfed me. Its just brought me down...I would be more than happy to stay put if there weren't so many things needing to be done in the near future...but will just have to see how things turn out over the next few weeks. If we haven't sold by then...then we will definitely take it off the market and just do the best that we can when we can.

I think you're right, I think as much as we try to push the time of tear out of our minds...it sneaks in and your mind starts working overtime...then comes the lack of sleep and feeling rotten during the day. I just ahven't been going out walks at all...and that certainly does not help one little bit-there's just been so much going on, Its been overwhelming with viewings and phone calls and clearing out etc...

thanks so much for reaching out and I hope that you feel better,

You are all a blessing.

You really are X

• Posted

Aww Hun it all sounds overwhelming. Keep reminding yourself of how far you've come. You will get over this and things will calm down again.

Try going for your walks again even for 10 minutes to see if it helps. Write down how you feel each day especially if your head feels like it's going to explode.

I'm here if you need to talk. Xx

• Posted

Hey LJK,

How's it going? Hopefully things have started calming down for you.

I've had some rough days. Was rushed into hospital with gallstones. Still sore but getting there. Thought my anxiety would play up but it was only really bad when I went through the pain and then today it hit me out the blue.

Really didn't expect it like that. You know they say things catch us up. Perhaps it was catching up on me. I'm trying just to get on with it and move on.

Easier said than done but need to try. Also still doing my walks.

I hope all is well. X

• Posted

Hi there,

OMG poor you!...that must have neen awful!

I hope you are managing alright through the pain. I'm thinking of you.

What a shame-especially just before Xmas..

I was taken into hospital last year with appendicitis and they didn't know what was going on till they nearly burst and stuck to my bowel-worst pain i've ever experienced!...and I had to be taken into emergency surgery for 4 hours...they also discovered through scans I had gallstones...but so far (touch wood) nothing has happened relating to that.

I still have the house up for sale and have 2 viewers coming tomorrow...so am hoping beyond hope we get an offer. It would be the most amazing Christmas gift!

I am so sorry that you're going through this right now...and am so impressed that you are still going your walks. I promise to follow your lead. Very very well done to you!

Rest up as much as you can and take it easy, you need to rest right now so don't put any pressure on yourself to do otherwise!

Please take care and be good to yourself, you very much deserve it! XXX

• Posted

Thanks Hun. I'm trying my best. Good look with the viewings, I hope a good offer comes in. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.