Fluoxetine for PMDD/PMS

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has been prescibed this medication for terrible pre-menstrual symptoms.

I am a happy, out-going and smiley person most of the time. The way I'm feeling now, I am fine - not depressed, irrational, weepy, angry, etc. However a week before my period I turn into an emotional wreck for approx 10 days!

It's taken me a long time to admit to myself that this has anything to do with my cycle - I thought people would think I was overreacting, being stupid, 'get over it' or 'everyone feels like that' type attitudes.

For a long time (longer than I think I let myself remember) I have blamed these awful feelings on other things that may be going on that week, such as an argument, bad day at work, moving area etc etc.

It got to a point when my friends/family/work colleagues knew when I was due on my period, because the sunny, happy, positive person disappeared and in its place was an irritable, angry, weepy, binge-eating, arguementative, crazy imposter!

It was particularly bad this month. I was behaving completely out of character, crying uncontrollably, throwing things out of pure rage. After my outbursts I would start thinking straight again and be shocked at how I could react in such a way to such small things. I was frightening myself.

I went to my doctor to ask if he could change my pill, as I thought this might help. He asked me why and I just lost it, broke down crying, couldn't speak! When I had calmed down I explained everything, feeling like I was cracking up. He was extrememly understanding and explained that I had all the symptoms of PMDD (which I had never heard of!) He has prescribed me 20mg fluoxetine to start taking 7 days before my period, for 10 days each month, and also to take vitamin B6. He said I need to try this for 3 months and then go back - if it helps I can get some more and if not he will change my pill.

I am confused at this because I thought you would have to take medication like this consistently throughout the month to get any positive effects? However when looking at websites for PMDD the same medication, and time-scale are discussed. I was just wondering if anyone else suffered from this and whether they could offer me any advice. I am yet to start taking the medication - should start in another 2 weeks.

Please reply if you have any helpful advice or wish to share your experiences - I feel quite alone in this!

Thanks N smile

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello also to madcow1964,

I just noticed you had posted some comments -- hope you are doing better!

• Posted

Hi Ana, thanks for getting back to me.

I did mention my fears to the Doctor but was told it's benefits pretty much outweigh the bad. I have got myself into a state reading all the negative things and side effects on the internet. I am also worried that if I do take it I will be able to come off it again easily. I really wish I could control my mood swings and rages without resorting to a pill I am scared to take in the first place! The Doctor explained this would be the first treatment we would look at and if it didn't agree with me we could look at other options. I will take it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks

• Posted

I totally understand! I do not want to take a pill either. I actually really like myself when I don't have PMS.I also know that sleep and taking B vitamins are very good to do along with the pills. i find if I get enough sleep, I suffer fewer symptoms, but that is not always possible. Good luck! Let me know how it goes if you get a chance.
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. I was just prescribed floxetine 20mg to take every day for two weeks before my period starts, then stop for two weeks. I too am very fearful of taking this pill. I'm supposed to start taking it October 30th. I hope it helps calm me down from my severe anger and low self esteem that I experience. It's interfering with my ability to hold a job and keep friends. I would like to hear how it's working for other people and I will post back when I start taking it.

• Posted

Hi Ladies,

It seems we all have the same fears and very similar symptoms!

I was actually called in to see my doctor within days of my last post. He wanted to know how I was getting on with the Fluoxetene. I hadn't actually taken any this month until that morning, when I woke up feeling very tense and wound up like an overwound clockwork spring. Within half an hour of taking it I started to feel like a zombie and just wanted to fall asleep all afternoon! When I told the doctor I had been feeling fine and positive, he told me I should still be taking the pills for about 10 days or so, from the start of PMS to the end of my period. He also recommended soya milk.

I'm afraid I felt so "ok" that I only took the pills for 3 days again...but should I really take them when I feel fine? Isn't that unnecessary?

• Posted

Ok. Here's an update with my experience. I started taking the Fluoxetine Wednesday October 30. So today will be my fourth day. The first day I was real spacey, had a slight headache but not too bad. The worst part of the first day was insomnia. I had a hard time sleeping. The second day was pretty much the same. I was spacey, couldn't make a decision. Felt like I was on speed. But I also felt that I was a lot more easy going and social. I interacted and laughed and talked with people more then usual. And, I slept great that night, no more insomnia! The third day I settled right in. I felt like my normal happy self. Very calm and pleasant. Also slept great last night too. So, just the first two days I had some minor side effects. It really wasn't that bad. I like how I'm much more pleasant to be around. It does seem to be making me less angry. I'll post another update in a week or so. I hope this helps you!
  • Posted

Hi Bebopking

I realised I was getting ratty and emotional so started my Fluoxetene on Tuesday. Like you, I began to feel light headed shortly after taking it and slightly headachy later in the day. Can't remember how I slept but the following 2 days weren't too bad...apart from nodding off when trying to watch telly! I definitely felt calmer, though, but I forgot to take one yesterday (Friday) and had a slight blip in the afternoon. However, today I am as right as rain and able to get jobs done again, yet I only took the Fluoxetene for 3 days again. Has anyone else taken such a short dose but still felt the benefits?

• Posted

Hi Bebopking

Your experience sounds pretty much the same as mine. I am now on day 10. Days 1, 2 & 3 the insomnia was awful, I was lucky if I was getting two hours sleep a night, but after that sleeping was fine and I actually seemed to sleep well. I have had a constant dry throat which gets really itchy at night? Not sure if that is a side effect! Day 1 and 2 I felt slightly spaced out but nothing too unmanageable. I also felt more sociable and a bit more comfortable when in company by day 3. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I feel like I can see glimpses of my old personality now and again. Hoping that is the case and that I will feel like 'me' again after a few weeks.

On the whole though, although I was terrified to start taking it, my experience has been very positive. Hope your continues the same way!! Let me know how how you go.

• Posted

Hi there -- I am on day 4 of the 10 I am taking the medication. Like you have all mentioned, getting started was a bit rough for me as well. I felt very wound up. I take the medication in the morning so that is is wearing off at night and I also took half of a Unisom tablet (over-the-counter sleep aid) for sleep.

Now that I am on day 4 I actually feel "normal". It did help control my moods even when I first started taking it, but I didn't quite feel I was myself as I was adjusting to it. I felt odd and could tell I was on something. Now after a good night's sleep, I feel like myself, but hopefully without the PMS. Last time i took it, I also felt slightly odd going off of it, but it only lasted 1/2 of a day. I am thinking the pros will outweigh the cons of taking this, so I am sticking with it. Good Luck!

• Posted

Hi

Glad I'm not on my own with the bad pms Monday my gp suggested I try fluoxetine as I'd already tried 5

Different contraceptive pills I was very worried about this as I felt I've failed not being able to cope with the things that have been happening on my own. today I went back I thought if I'm going to try it nows the time and I've just got to deal with the fact that this May be my only option I was prescribed 20mg I took my first tablet an hour ago feeling a little spaced out maybe more relaxed than usual as normally I would be speeding round the house trying to find things to do, I'm currently off work until I feel there has been an improvement fingers crossed all goes well and i don't have many side effects, oh I read up about this before going to my gp and he told me to take this continuously and stated it was aload of rubbish about taking it before your period then having a break.

• Posted

Hi Pickles,

I take the Fluoxetine for the two weeks before my period, then stop for two weeks. I've taken it that way for two cycles now. The first two weeks I took it I had minor side effects. They were manageable. The second two weeks were totally normal, no side effects. It works to take it like this because the half life of the medicine is very long. It takes about 15 days for it to leave your system. My attitude since I started Fluoxetine is so much better. I don't get so upset and angry and I'm more friendly and tolerant. Also, I like taking it for two weeks then having two weeks off. That way I'm learning how to deal with my emotions without being on the drug all the time. Good luck! Hope it works for you!

• Posted

Thank you although I don't think I'll be taking it in the afternoon again it wiped me out lol maybe try an evening dose instead smile
  • Posted

Felt really grumpy in the night and this morning sad
  • Posted

Pickles, how are you doing? Is the fluoxetine working for you?
  • Posted

Hi bebopking I'm starting to feel abit "normal" smile last week felt really low tired paranoid struggled to do stuff I'm due back in work tomorrow so I'm hoping I'll be ok and won't over panic. The 1 thing I have struggled with from day 1 is an itchy scalp morning and night it's really frustrating I will ask my doctor about it today thanks for asking but yes I think it's working smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.