Fluoxetine for PMDD/PMS

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has been prescibed this medication for terrible pre-menstrual symptoms.

I am a happy, out-going and smiley person most of the time. The way I'm feeling now, I am fine - not depressed, irrational, weepy, angry, etc. However a week before my period I turn into an emotional wreck for approx 10 days!

It's taken me a long time to admit to myself that this has anything to do with my cycle - I thought people would think I was overreacting, being stupid, 'get over it' or 'everyone feels like that' type attitudes.

For a long time (longer than I think I let myself remember) I have blamed these awful feelings on other things that may be going on that week, such as an argument, bad day at work, moving area etc etc.

It got to a point when my friends/family/work colleagues knew when I was due on my period, because the sunny, happy, positive person disappeared and in its place was an irritable, angry, weepy, binge-eating, arguementative, crazy imposter!

It was particularly bad this month. I was behaving completely out of character, crying uncontrollably, throwing things out of pure rage. After my outbursts I would start thinking straight again and be shocked at how I could react in such a way to such small things. I was frightening myself.

I went to my doctor to ask if he could change my pill, as I thought this might help. He asked me why and I just lost it, broke down crying, couldn't speak! When I had calmed down I explained everything, feeling like I was cracking up. He was extrememly understanding and explained that I had all the symptoms of PMDD (which I had never heard of!) He has prescribed me 20mg fluoxetine to start taking 7 days before my period, for 10 days each month, and also to take vitamin B6. He said I need to try this for 3 months and then go back - if it helps I can get some more and if not he will change my pill.

I am confused at this because I thought you would have to take medication like this consistently throughout the month to get any positive effects? However when looking at websites for PMDD the same medication, and time-scale are discussed. I was just wondering if anyone else suffered from this and whether they could offer me any advice. I am yet to start taking the medication - should start in another 2 weeks.

Please reply if you have any helpful advice or wish to share your experiences - I feel quite alone in this!

Thanks N smile

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Ladiessmile

I have suffered from severe PMDD since I was 12 years old. I am now 31.

During this time I was misdiagnosed numerous times, given medication that induced discoid lupas and had all these men doctors telling me it couldn't be hormonal.

My thoughts for about 14-18 days before my period begins start to become something not part of me.

Until just before I get it the thoughts are so bad, I start to plan how to stop it. I have no children to want to fix this for. Only the need to live a normal life and feel a normal way when things happen. I have finally found a female doctor who understands this issue well. I wanted my ovaries out. She put the IUD in instead. DONT DO THIS! It made me so much worse. The thoughts very easily started to turn into suicidal ones. They always did but at least without it I knew they would be over within a few weeks. I have now had it removed and am starting to take fluoxetine.

I am also worried about taking this. I don't want to be numb, but i will not last much longer living with/like this. I feel so much for all you suffering from this. And it's sad to know you have this issue toosad But reassuring at the same time as we are all not alone. I will keep you all posted on how I go with it. If anyone has any ideas that could help outside of medication I would love to hear them I have tried almost everything. I am also going to embark on some acupuncture. If this works you will all be the first to know! Good luck..

• Posted

Hello Emylou,

I have not been on this board in a while and have been meaning to update my status because I have now been on Fluoxetine for 10 days out of the month since October 2013 and it seems to be working to manage my symptoms. In fact, each time I go on it, the drug seems to be more effective. I do not feel numb on it, just more up-beat and not as paranoid, scatter-brained, sad, etc. I noticed myself tearing up this month and looked at the calendar and sure enough it was time to go on it. I did the next day and noticed it helped immediately. I too have had terrible personality changes during PMS/PMDD that are simply not me. This is helping. I have heard Yaz and other birth control pills can work wonders as well, as well as some other antidepressants. These drugs effect everyone differently, so you have to keep trying until something works. For example, I have heard many on the board say that the Fluoxetine makes them sleepy and lethargic. It does the opposite for me - I am more awake and alert. I do have a little trouble sleeping (and PMS adds to this) so I take an over the counter sleep aid to help with sleep and make sure I am taking care of myself in that way. I commend you on finding a female doctor who knows about PMDD. This is so important! I am still looking for a great doc who can be my "go to". For now, I just hear about things that have worked for others and go ask the doctor who is available. Usually they know somewhat about this problem, but not as much as they should. It is much more common than people think, and very serious in my case. I am going to keep on this medication unless I hear of something that could work better for me. I have few side effects. My sister in law is on Paxil for the same condition, but she takes it every day. She preferred to try that because she also suffers from anxiety, but the Paxil takes care of both that and PMS. Anyway, my message to you is don't give up and keep trying new things if something doesn't work. You too are not alone! Thanks for reaching out!

• Posted

I was on fluxentine for a week but had to stop due to side effects, ive now been off them for 3 & 1/2 days and feel weird (palpitations, dizzy,tired,numb n can't get to sleep with fear of not waking up, shakes) is this normal n how long does it last? Many thanks xx
  • Posted

This site is quite informative, however, I haven't seen any posts from women in my age group.

At the age of 50, I still get regular monthly periods. I took my first Fluoxetine 20 mg. this morning. This journey to get help for my symptoms started in October 2013. The Dr. told me that I was perimenopausal. The first thing prescribed by my OBGYN was a low dose birth control pill. Upon taking the first pill, I had a period for an entire month. I continued to call my physician asking if this was normal, and was told that "it would taper off and even out". I was advised not to quit taking the pill. Eventually, I was told to come in, and was given a ultrasound to rule out other possible problems. At that point, she told me to stop taking the birth control, and prescribed a low dose anti-depressant PAROXETINE 10 mg. I did see a significant difference in my mood/anxiety levels. On 3/11/2014 my symptoms returned with a vengeance. I couldn't function for days. Depression, weepy, anger, body aches, fever blister, anxiety, overwhelming thoughts of gloom/doom, fogginess, horrible night sweats, cravings, overeating, very low motivation - - - didn't want to get out of bed. AND, I had just gotten over my period 7 days prior, so the symptoms were coming on quicker within the cycle. I made an appointment with my OBGYN yesterday, and was told that this is not PERIMENOPAUSE, but more like PMDD. He prescribed the generic Prozac and instructed me to not take them at night, but first thing in the morning. The bottle actually says, "START ONE CAPSULE IN THE MORNING AT BEGINNING OF MOODINESS THEN STOP WHEN PERIOD STARTS."

I fully expected to walk out of there yesterday with a prescription for ESTROGEN, assuming my symptoms were associated with low levels because of my age. Even the nurse who checked me in said that was problem. Here I sit with another Rx for an antidepressant.

Will continue to post my progress (or lack of) to this site with the intention of helping other women. It's so disheartening to go from a happy - go lucky person who NEVER had PMS, and hated getting her period to someone who lays in bed begging to BLEED (the symptoms immediately disappear as soon as I get my period).

• Posted

Hi all hope ur ok? Just hoping someone can help, so went to gp in dec who prescribed me cit 20mg for anx and dep, started taking them with horrible siee affects and noticed some good weeks some bad so started to track and I was having 2ish good weeks a month and 2 horrific where there were days I coukdnt leave the house, these 2 weeks were before and during my period!spoke to dr who referred me to a osychiatrist as she thinks its hormonal and changed my meds to fluoxetine 20mg which ive now been taking for 14 days at 20mg and last week was fantastic however the dreaded period is due nxt wk and low and behold mon hit eith the depressive mood swing and anxiety so called dr who prescribed me the contraceptive pill cerelke as im nit on any contraception as my partner had a vasectomy in june last yr and upped my fluoxetine to 40mg!im at my wits end and realky tryely hoping something starts to take the edge of thus soon, im a mum of 3 under 5 yr olds and as u can relate even getting off the sofa at this tine is difficult and the anxiety makes it hard to be out!anyone with any success stories or just to chat wud be great, im 25 btw xxx
  • Posted

OK I am 48 on a low low fe (low estrogen, low progesterone) pill. originally you would think I would not be having bad pmdd symptons but I am telling you i can totally tell when i feel like i am getting the crazies. Also, having a 14 year old and a 5 year old is crazy enough!! SO my sister is on 20mg prozac , she is in menopause she is on it for anxiety etc. I have had a few panic attacks. I am on day 2 of Flux...for the 14 day cycle thing. i take it at night. I sleep better than i have in a while. when i cant sleep my mind is not racing but is calm, quiet? wierd. I am kind of tired during the day. I work out alot! and am in good health. My question is about wine, beer etc my sister says no prob in moderation but if I have two glasses a wine a night does that reduce the dosage?

• Posted

Hello everyone

I am the parter of a 27 year old woman who i am pretty sure suffers from PMDD.  In the few days before her period she becomes teary (very), angry (very), shouting and swearing at our children (3 under 5 years old) and me, and sometimes violence - throwing things, breaking plates, hitting people.  Other symptoms include vertigo and abdominal pain

For the last 6 weeks or so she has been having acupuncture, which does seem to have helped with the vertigo, but the day after her weekly acupuncture session her mood swings and anger are terrible.

yesterday her doctor prescribed 20mg Prozac tablets to be taken daily.  She, and I, are concerned about starting these, giving prozac´s notoriety...

I have tried to be supported, but being yelled at in a busy shopping center and sworn to in front of our little children makes it hard to bear.

i would definitely appreciate your thoughts.  Are there any other men out there suffering vicariously?  i feel so alone and, none of our friends know the Hyde side of my normally cheerful wife...

• Posted

I was prescribed it for depression. I also had PMS and I must admit  I no longer get any of the symptoms at all! They've worked like an angel and my life feels normal again now smile
  • Posted

Hi Noreen, I have posted before I am 48. I have been taking Prozac for PMDD now for 3 now going on 4 months. I started first month at 20 mg and couldnt stand the side effects, crazy tired, feeling non social, hungry (wierd, i thought you lost weight on prozac) so 2nd month went to the 20mg during the PMS time until my period taking it every other day. that wasnt so great. so changed prescription to 10mg a day, taken at night and i have to say alot of the side effects have worn off. I still yawn alot, feel tired, still get moody during the danger PMS times (but not as bad) BUT loss of sex drive not so good I am hoping it will pass. Giving it 6 months I think. Hows it going for you. I weigh 120 pounds so I dont know if the dosage changes with more weight or not. My sister is on 20 mg but weighs about 40 pounds more. Do notice that sometimes drinking alcohol intensifies alcohol effects which means you need to drink less?
  • Posted

I am taking it 2 weeks a month for PMD reduced dose to 10 mgs, side effects lessened, has helped for intense emotions but the low dosage still brings some emotions but right now for me, i would rather have it "take the edge off" then reduce the "me" more. If that makes sense, This is my 4 month and it is better and better? so maybe hang in there. Going to give it 6 months.
  • Posted

Hi everyone 

I have been on fluoxetine for 12 days and around 2 days ago I started to see a lift in my mood, I have scoured the interner for symptoms like mine and I do think I have been suffering from PMDD for a long time. I suffer from irrationality, anger , violence, basically someone I dont like before my period. So I finally went to the docs and they prescribed me 20mg fluoxetine, only side effect is I cannot sleep well at all . Anyone got any recommendations doc told me to come off them for a few days then go back on but I fell like they are starting to have some effect and reluctant to come off them? Any help x

• Posted

At the age of 52 I realise this is something I have suffered from for years. What really help is, sorry to repeat but a healthy diet exercise when you feel you can't (go thrash it out on a tread mill not your family). I now take HRT, menopause specific vitamins and 5-HTP. The 5-HTP is a natural antidepressant. I stopped the vitamins and the 5-HTP for a few weeks and had the worst symptoms I had ever had. My husband has been amazing. Being a doctor he has always understood this is a chemical change that is difficult to deal with. Even with this  medication, life style changes and great support from my husband, I still feel it is me that has to control the lid. You just can't let it explode. My husband understands the feeling of depression and hopelessness I feel but we sit tight keep close and wait for it to pass. In my experience any medication, exercise or diet plans does  help very much but the love a support from your partner and your own determination to work through it is the most effective thing. Just remember when your in your bad time and you feel suicidal that in days this will change. Sit tight hang in and see it through. Understanding this helps me to keep it in context. Also I began to think I was bipolar or schizophrenic. Knowing that it effected by hormones which will eliminate in a day or so and disappear when I have gone through the menopause.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to let me know their age when they either first started feeling the effects of pmdd or when they got to the point they became unbearable? Recently (in my last few cycles) I've gotten to the point I feel like I'm a risk to myself and am now currently in the process of seeing a councillor to see if it is anything else, as my gp has said if it is caused by my pms, as I believe it is, using Prozac for the last 14 days of my cycle may be beneficial. However I'm only 17, almost 18 and everyone on here at least seems to be older and I'm not sure if age plays any role as I know your cycle can change with age. Thank you in advance smile

• Posted

I am 29 and have had problems right from school days I put my mom through hell and back I was a very miserable teen and my depression was bad I had thoughts of suicide all the time and I always felt like something was wrong with me.

I would say and do things like scream slam doors and cry uncontrollably

Then when I was done high school at 19 I married my childhood sweetheart not realizing he had his own mental health problems (bipolar)

when we got his health under control which took a long time he noticed I would yell cry all the time I would get so angry that he said it was like I would blank out and then forget what I said or did . I would sometimes walk out of the house and hide somewhere and cry...those are just only a couple of examples it got to the point where I couldn't control my emotions or anger and I cried all the time

I did a lot of research because I wanted to know why I was malfunctioning every month and I came across pmdd disorder

The symptoms fit me to a T I also noticed many other women were being put on fluoxetine (Prozac) so I went to the walk in clinic and spoke to a doctor who finally knew what I was talking about (my family doctored refused to put me on medication and only offered me counselling) I started fluoxetine in January and my family and friends and husband noticed a huge difference in me I no longer felt like I was Jekyll and Hyde I was able to deal with things better and the crying finally stopped (I cry now when necessary) It was after 4 months that I decided to get an increase from 20 mg to 40 mg I have had some side effects this time but I'm hopeful they will pass I only wish I had this medication sooner or from when I was in school it would have helped me tremendously

• Posted

Hey been through the same you're not alone

I take fluoxetine 14 days before each cycle and then as soon as it's over I go off

Because something only malfunctions during the time of the month lol

Keep in mind the medicine stays in your system for a week so if you're like me by the time your 12 or 14 day before your cycle comes back it's still in your system

And this pill does wonders I had very little side effects on the 20 mg it was just bumped up to 40 and I really felt side effects this time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.