Fluoxetine for PMDD/PMS

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has been prescibed this medication for terrible pre-menstrual symptoms.

I am a happy, out-going and smiley person most of the time. The way I'm feeling now, I am fine - not depressed, irrational, weepy, angry, etc. However a week before my period I turn into an emotional wreck for approx 10 days!

It's taken me a long time to admit to myself that this has anything to do with my cycle - I thought people would think I was overreacting, being stupid, 'get over it' or 'everyone feels like that' type attitudes.

For a long time (longer than I think I let myself remember) I have blamed these awful feelings on other things that may be going on that week, such as an argument, bad day at work, moving area etc etc.

It got to a point when my friends/family/work colleagues knew when I was due on my period, because the sunny, happy, positive person disappeared and in its place was an irritable, angry, weepy, binge-eating, arguementative, crazy imposter!

It was particularly bad this month. I was behaving completely out of character, crying uncontrollably, throwing things out of pure rage. After my outbursts I would start thinking straight again and be shocked at how I could react in such a way to such small things. I was frightening myself.

I went to my doctor to ask if he could change my pill, as I thought this might help. He asked me why and I just lost it, broke down crying, couldn't speak! When I had calmed down I explained everything, feeling like I was cracking up. He was extrememly understanding and explained that I had all the symptoms of PMDD (which I had never heard of!) He has prescribed me 20mg fluoxetine to start taking 7 days before my period, for 10 days each month, and also to take vitamin B6. He said I need to try this for 3 months and then go back - if it helps I can get some more and if not he will change my pill.

I am confused at this because I thought you would have to take medication like this consistently throughout the month to get any positive effects? However when looking at websites for PMDD the same medication, and time-scale are discussed. I was just wondering if anyone else suffered from this and whether they could offer me any advice. I am yet to start taking the medication - should start in another 2 weeks.

Please reply if you have any helpful advice or wish to share your experiences - I feel quite alone in this!

Thanks N smile

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have the exact same problem

I start taking fluoxetine 2 weeks before my cycle even starts because my pmdd is so severe

this medication has really helped my problem my family and friends say I'm a completely different person

The doctor I spoke to told me to take it before and when my cycle is over

So I have been doing that and i don't feel any effects as it lasts in your system for about a week even if you stop taking it

• Posted

My GYN had told me that fluoxetine isn't effective with PMDD unless it is prescribed in low doses. She had also told me that some women only need it a few weeks a month. From what I have read, vitamins play a big role in balancing the hormones.

• Posted

Hello

I have a message for all ladies suffering from PMDD. I have been against taking meds all my life as I tend to reacte strongly to things and for instance, get completely drunk after just two glasses of wine. I have consistently suffered from severe PMDD and am now 44.

Therefore I was nervous about taking prozac which is a powerful drug and like all prescription drugs, potentially quite toxic. However, I researched evidence that suggested that micro-doses (2mg) of prozac can correct PMDD. I went to the doctor and explained that I wanted to try this. She said she could only prescribe me 20mg pills which is the minimum dosage but that I could cut up the pill into smaller doses. I decided to split it into 8 so have now started to take 2.5mg per day during the luteal phase. It has already worked miraculously and removed my very debilitating symptoms.

So my simple message is Prozac can work brilliantly for PMDD but it might be worth trying lower dosages first to avoid side effects and over-dosing. I am petite and sensitive to medication so I recognise some women may need higher doses, but I wanted to share my experience in case it helps others. Also, the pharmacist said it might be easier for me to take the liquid form if I prefer small doses so I will try this in future.

• Posted

These little forums are so handy, I'm currently going through my bad 2 weeks before my period... and looking through people sharing their stories is what is easing the effects. Its so rubbish, how unfair that 2 weeks out of the month (half the year!!!) we spend miserable and making everyone else miserable too?

It makes me paranoid and unhappy with my partner (of 7 years). The strangest thing is that I feel like he wants to leave me and find somebody better. Even at times when he's telling me we'll always be together and talking about the future, in the back of my head I just feel suspicious.

Once old Mother Nature rolls around everything is calm and I can resume my normal life.

It's frustrating because when I'm back to my normal self I don't see it as a big enough issue to go to my doctors about. I also wouldn't want to be put onto the pill as in the next few years we plan on starting a family and wouldn't want my (very clockwork) cycle to be put out of whack when I come off it.

• Posted

I suffered literally psychotic episodes after I would start.  I would SCREAM at my kids,  lock myself in my bedroom (without my husband), behave erratically. The doctor suggested fluoxetine 7 days (10mg) before the start of my period.  I no longer scream and freak out.  It's wonderful. 

• Posted

Oh my gosh everything you described was me ...until I went on fluoxetine and it changed my whole world

I would get so angry I would almost black out or lose control as to what I would say or do I would cry uncontrollably about everything

And my husband and I would fight all the time

It got to the point I couldn't stand myself anymore

I was told too this pill can be taken only around your cycle however I take mine everyday as I found it easier to be consistent that way

At least your doctor knew about pmdd was mine looked at me and said "oh I have never heard about it"

She refused to put me on anything and wanted to put me through counselling instead..i refused and no longer went to see her.

after doing my own investigating on pmdd and matched all my symptoms

I took myself to the walk in clinic explained everything to the doctor and asked to be on fluoxetine and he prescribed it to me...seriously I wished I found it sooner it would have got me through a lot from even in my high school days when I had some dark times

I am so happy I found it and even friends, family and my husband have commented how different I am now being on it

I started at 20mg

and I am now up to 40mg and been on it for a couple of years now

• Posted

This is exactly me ! I take 20mg but just recently have started getting pmt symptoms again - the irrational anger and sadness. Does anyone have experience of their dosage having to be increased ? 
  • Posted

I’m so glad I came across this forum. Thank you for sharing your stories, it is such a relief to find out that I am not alone in this! Though I wish none of us suffered from it.

My whole life I have suffered from PMDD, but only found out it is exactly what I have last month. I have always known something was wrong, and I have known it was related to my cycle for almost 2 years now.

I am 39 and have noticed it is getting worse as I get older. It has ruined my life. I have tried approaching it through diet, exercise and 5htp. This definitely helped, but it didn’t eliminate it. In January I had a miscarriage and it has been out of control since then, I haven’t been able to force myself to stick to the exercise and I’m not eating as a result of the anxiety.

I struggle to keep down a job, have isolated myself from my family (no contact at all), and the very few friends I do have left, are the ones that can tolerate my unreliability. I am learning not to make plans in the bad time. I miss 1-2 days of work a cycle and can’t keep on top of it, my brain fog and mind/body disconnect is severe, it’s like I can’t open my eyes or make my body obey me, and I have trouble speaking, like slurred speech and I can’t think of my words (I’m normally very articulate). Most cycles I am suicidal.

The 2 good weeks I get, I’m on fire. I’m happy, always laughing, witty and highly charismatic/charming. I like myself when I am like that, and I know other people like me and are very drawn to me when I am like that, too! Imagine what I could achieve if I was always like that (:

But then I get that poison inside of me that repels people (so I think!), and feel that no one could possibly genuinely like me, intense paranoia that in fact everyone hates me, self loathing, etcetera. I withdraw, don’t speak, I get sensory overload from loud noise, bright lights, crowds, which visibly distresses me to the point strangers have asked me if I am ok.

Over the weekend I was in such a bad space I lashed out at someone who was trying to show they cared, it was disgusting behaviour on my part and I am so ashamed of myself. I wish I could take those words back, because he isn’t going to talk to me again. How to explain PMDD?

So I realised – this cannot go on. I have resisted any kind of synthetic medication but this morning I filled a script for fluoxetine my doctor gave me, and I am going to try cyclic dosing. I am on day 24 so probably a bit late this month, but I have to try something because this month is BAD. I couldn’t work again today.

I am going to try a very low dose first and see how it goes, as I have read (including in some comments in this thread) that some women only need 2-2.5mg for 14 days. I am only 50 kilograms and very sensitive to medication in general, so I will see how it goes. If I need to go up I will increase next cycle.

If anyone is interested, I will post updates on how it goes. I actually took 5mg about 5 hours ago and haven’t noticed any side effects so far.

This is probably a bit long but actually I have never posted anything on a forum before, but I was so pleased to have found this I wanted to share my story with other women who might be going through the same thing, because I am grateful to everyone here who has.  It’s also probably written poorly, I am in the grips of what I call “The Fear” as I type so I am feeling rather erratic!

• Posted

Hi georgie75698

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

I think the person who tried to help you will understand if you explain & apologise. I’m embarrassed to think about the number of times I was mean to people but they still wanted to be friends with me ! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.