fluoxetine make me feel worse

Posted , 10 users are following.

My psych upped me to 20mg of flu. Only two days on 20mg was on 10 mg for 10 days but now feel worse and I feel like I am going to fall apart.  I am so exhausted and sad I can't believe it.  I can't function.  I feel paranoid and sad.  I can't sleep (yet I can't keep my eyes open) and my insides feel like Jello.  Is this really Normal to feel this weeks using this drug?

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kate, its normal to feel like this. Your brain chemistry is not balanced and fluoxentine is trying to balance it by inhibiting serotonin reupdate thus enhancing your neuroplasticity recovery in hippocampus area. It took me 8 months to get back to normal. Give it some time. Keep praying. I am trying to tap down fluoxentine these days due to its side effects (sleep quality disturbance and weight gain) , my emotions are going up and down like rollercoaster now.

Peter

• Posted

Hi Peter, I am a month into taking fluoxetine and I am feeling worst than ever. I take my tablets in the morning and I am finding that I cannot sleep at night. Please is there a light at the end of the tunnel? 
    • Posted

Hi Katie. I gave  it 8 weeks and had to stop. It was torture for every week I took it. The pharmacist told me it could take 5 weeks so I stuck with it and then I gave it 3 more weeks after reading posts saying it took longer for some.  If you still feel awful after week five, I would stop. Turns out I had seratonin syndrome, which is the extreme end, but if it doesn’t make you feel better after week 5, try something else. 
  • Posted

Hello Kate I am so sorry that you are having a hard time adjusting to your new dosage of your meds. Yes it's a case sometimes of feeling worse to get to feeling better. The side effects can be bad and you just went to 20 mg 2 days ago. But if the symptoms continue you can always call your GP for reassurance.  

Please know that we are always here and we care very much. Will you keep us posted. Diane

• Posted

Thank you responding.  It really means a lot.  I need alll the encouragement I can get to keep moving on.  This is so difficult. To make matters worse my husband is undergoing ECT was doing  excellent until i became sick.  Now all he does is lay around and sleep because he is depressed.  I can't keep him uplifted when and try to get myself better.  I feel so guilty, but know i must take care of me first or i won't be able to take care of anyone.  Words of encouragement are so needed at this difficult time in my life.

• Posted

I know Kate. My husband had been great but just been diagnosed with a severe lung infection today as well. We have 2 young kids and it’s just awful trying care for them when we both feel like death.  Everything is a chore. Just do small bits at a time. Nibble a bit here and there on some toast and banana. Be honest with people about how you’re feeling. I am not setting any expectations for myself with people. Please take care. 
  • Posted

You are welcome we all go through times when we feel like we have hit the wall but with encouragement we pull through. We will support you through whatever you are going through. Diane
    • Posted

Thanks like i said I need all the encouragement I can get.  One more question, does this medicine make you dizzy?

• Posted

Your post confirms in my head that no one needs anti depressants! Go for an alternative therapy get off them and soon! Good luck. X
    • Posted

Unfortunately if i didn't have meds I would go off the deep end.  I'm glad it worked out well for you so you didn't have to take the.  Not all of us have the same blessing.

• Posted

Hi kate, I'm not really my physical health suffered because of the stress. Have ct scan on Friday, very scared but won't take anti depressants refuse to! I put my foot down with the doctors who tell me the only thing they can do is dump me on antidepressants no they're not! Treat my ibs. That's all.

• Posted

Kate you are not giving the medication time to work and help you.

Give the medication time to work, about five weeks

BOB

• Posted

Just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction cause I've never been on a medicine that made me feel worse before it made but feel better.  But of of the input you guys give me gives me strength to keep going on.  Thank you

• Posted

Couple more questions on this subject.  I have been sooooooo exhausted on this medication i can keep my eyes open, but when I lay down I can't sleep.  I am also very dizzy.  When if ever does this exhaustion go away?  It's so debilitating i can hardly leave the house.  I was very depresssed on my 4th day of Prozac.  I know got to let it work, but this tiredness is more than I can bear!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.