Fluoxetine (prozac) 6 weeks in

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just updating my experience with my last attempt at finding a state that I am okay to live in, I was prescribed fluoxetine 6 weeks ago. Side effects have pretty much subsided but I still feel pretty horrendous at least once a day for a while. Is it worth carrying on and waiting or is it just not going to work?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi i would wait personally at least another 2 weeks xx prozacs been a lifesaver for me for many yrs at diff doses. But i did suffer many side effects for the first 8-10 weeks. If its manageable hold out c if u can manage as trying a new one altogether brings maybe another set of side effects possibly but maybe in a couple of weeks u may feel much better. Hope the same for u as it was for me xxx good luck ;0)
    • Posted

yeah I think the side effects are manageable, I just need to be more patient I guess.. patient .. get it.. patient.info biggrin))) 

• Posted

Lol got it. Xxx its a rollercoaster alright but hang in there ;0)) xxx
  • Posted

Hi It took me 3 months to make Fluoxetine to work for me.But I was left to suffer for 6 years. I have tried other medication some space me out so much I could not leave my home. Some meds did nothing  for me. It is worth going back to your GP.

Fluoxetine does take a long time to work.

Lynne

• Posted

Hi lynne. Yr right there! Fluoxetine took about 10 weeks for me but years later its still the only one that works for me ive found xx
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

I do agree with you I have been taking since 2015 and no side effects. I have spoken to a lot of people and it does seem to suit Women more than Men. But as I said before I was left to suffer for 6 years. I did ask for help but nobody wanted to listen they thought it was all in my head.

• Posted

Oh blimey. Xxx yes it definately is different for everyone so id suggest wow go to the gp if worried b4waiting tha general up to 12 weeks xx glad u finally got one to suit u lynne xx
  • Posted

Hi, just wondered if you have had a look at the Prozac forum?

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/fluoxetine-2787

It can take a while for ADs to work, and what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. If you are at all concerned, you should speak to your GP; he/she should also be able to advise on work. Its difficult when it comes to work, as your personal circumstances combined with medical advice will help in your decision making.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.