FLUOXETINE UPDATE .....HOPE

Posted , 118 users are following.

Hi

I thought i would just write and share my experiences to give a little hope to those who have just started fluoxetine and are suffering from the awful side effects... Hang in there! i am 6 months in now and i cannot believe how my life has changed, im laughing every day, i love my job im enjoying my wonderful children and my beautiful granddaughter, im moving house and i just feel my old self again, my friends are so happy for me they said i got lost for a while but they have been so supportive, and say that its great to have me back ! something i didnt think would happen 5 months ago believe me i had no motivation and suffered every side effect felt totally disconnected from the world, i have been where you are now! this site has been my life line and people who came through the other side gave me hope so by sharing this post with you i hope it will give you the encouragement and strength to carry on with the tablets, good luck to everyone and thank you all who have replied to me when i needed advice and reassurance. good luck love sharon xxx

32 likes, 334 replies

334 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words - it does feel like I will never be normal again but I will bear in mind yours and mrmeanerz comments and try to stay positive through the worst bits - thank you
    • Posted

Yes, I have good and bad days. Even now in my 11th week, I feel much better, I don't have anxiety/panic attacks. What you should do is keep a diary of your symptoms and your dose. I did that and I have been writing it every single day. You can see the changes for yourself. I often go back to my daily journal when I doubt myself.
  • Posted

Hi sharon think it was Sally's post thought it was yours that's fantastic your feeling well and happy again and I also keep a diary and note any changes it does help looking back I was so tired I don't get that anymore xx love this site as get so much encouragement and. Understanding even my friend who is a mental health nurse can't understand why I'm so depressed my gp says it's chemical imbalance x 
    • Posted

Hi dI

Yes ive always been happy go lucky with a great job to be honest i never thought in a million years i would need anti depressants but i lost my mum at the very young age of 58 (although that was 10 years ago) and then i had a car accident before i knew it i was crying every day i have great friends and wonderful kids so i used to get angry with myself for feeling so low, but i guess thats depression love theres sometimes no explanation as  to why it happens like you this site has been my life line so grateful for peoples kind words and advice keep in touch Di xxxx

• Posted

Hi Sharon I was prescribed fluxotine 8 weeks ago I've suffered deppresion from I was 14 I lost my mum then had my first child at 16 I'm now 35 and was always scared of anti deppresent As my sister killed herself 6 year ago and was onantideppresnts she was in out of hospital with deppresion but I finnaly started 8 weeks ago I've felt great the last 4 but today I felt quite deppresed again all I've done is laugh n smile my partner said its like the old me but today I didn't take my little one to nursery and they phoned me and I felt that hopeless feeling again I'm no good crying I came out it quite quick but it's threw me a bit because I was feeling good but just going to keep going with them and because reading your thing I went in and took my first tablet ?? And thanks for that because I ca can finnaly see light at the end of tunnel xxx

• Posted

I am having alot of side effects from this medicine , I have been on it for only 6days and its awful. I wanted to stop so bad but the Dr insisted that i stay on it ,, wants me to take it every other day for a week or so . I dont know if I am coming or going. Will all this pass ??

Carla

• Posted

Hi Carla

I had every side effect going Carla to the point i considered coming off them as i felt worse than i did before i started them but even though it took around 6 weeks for them to completely dissapear things did start to improve atfer 3 weeks, i did have the odd day where i was spaced out but now six months down the road i am back to my old self and loving life  so try to hang in there things will get better i have been where you are now and was thankful for all the messages of encouragement on this fab site, good luck and keep in touch sharon xx

• Posted

Hi everyone 

I'm now on week 10 and today something very positive happened I took my dogs out for a walk and came across the park and I thought I really want to go on the swing lol no one was about and it just made me feel happy for the first time in ages so hang in there it does get better and it takes a long time x 

• Posted

Hi,

That is a great step forward you must feel that is real progress.

i am on week nine of 20 mgs and hoping to turn a corner soon. Although the gp is keen for me to try 40 mgs

x

• Posted

HiDi 

So glad to hear you have turned a corner, it does take time doesnt it but worth hanging in there, keep in touch and good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi,

I have read your posts and they are very uplifting as I am still struggling at week nine on 20 mgs

Still have anxiety and some side effects really tempted to up dose but also felt it would be worth waiting twelve weeks to see if 20 mgs

kicks in

Thanks your story has given me hope x

x

• Posted

Hi Sharon so glad I've stuck with it been through hell the worst of it is other people family friends don't know what it's like unless you've been through depression only you can understand thanks and all the best for the future xxx 
    • Posted

Hi mockingbird 

your doing really well being patient for so long only you can decide whether to up the dosage I have been depressed for 30 years so think I need the higher dose but I didn't notice ant improvement from upping the dose until 3 weeks later so it depends how you feel xxx 

• Posted

You Too Di, i know people used to say to me just snap out of it?????? if only it was that easy eh?? thats why this site is so good i dont think i would have stuck with it if it hadnt been for all the support and advice from everyone on here ...... good luck and kepp in touch sharon xx
    • Posted

I am in week 7 feel slightly more positive still get anxious at times worry it will never feel normal again please give me some hope x

• Posted

Hi Susan 

week 7 is still early days although it feels like forever I'm in week 12 and I still have anxious days but am feeling better in other ways like I have more energy actually laugh at some things now keep going don't give up xxx 

• Posted

I am also still struggling at week 9 on 20mgs and are hanging in like sharon did and hoping that the side effects gradually cease as time goes on.

hope you feel better soon x

• Posted

Am gradually feeling better but am still pannicky about my dry eyes and dry mouth with fluoxotine hoping it will disappear as time goes on as anybody else had this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.