Fluoxetine week 1

Posted , 23 users are following.

I'm on day 6 of 20mg fluoxetine for anxiety and depression.. feeling really rough. I can't eat, feel sick and exhausted and generally just spaced out. Not sure I can do this for another 5 weeks, any advice or has anyone been through similar? Feel so crap!

1 like, 74 replies

74 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Stick with it. It does get better I am 6mts in and still have the odd bad day but that's life. First 6 to 8 weeks were awful but don't stop, don't change dose or give up you are putting chemicals into your brain and it has to adjust to the new dose so no wonder your body fights it in many ways. Stick with it it's worth it. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks Paul, I'm sticking with it. I've got to. Glad you are feeling better, I've had 4 months of feeling crap so I'm sure I can manage another 2! 😥

• Posted

We are all different so stick with it. No time a calls are the same
    • Posted

No time scales are the same.
    • Posted

Hey Paul and Woo. I'm at week 7 tomorrow on 40 mg. Fluox. I'm still feeling rough anxious in the mornings feeling down depressed midday and afternoon stomach nausea and not eating much. I felt good for almost 2 weeks at almost 4 weeks in but then back down now where I'm presently at. Does or where I'm at sound spot on? I'm just hoping this does start to work. Was on citalopram before and switched over. Should I stick with it?

• Posted

Nausea is subsiding a little now, fuzzy head and restlessness has replaced it.. keeping busy, feeling a bit better in the evenings.
  • Posted

I am new here and was reading your post Sarah. I was just prescribed Fluoxetine 10mg. I filled the script but am afraid to take it. I know it's the Anixety keeping me from it. When did you start feeling the side affects from it? And are they like a panic attack of like you know something is wrong but can't get rid of it? I guess I don't know if I can handle any more stress. (If that makes sense )

• Posted

Hello Laura, I just felt quite sick, no appetite for the first week.. seems to have eased up a bit now. Don't let that put you off, you might be fine. I think in the long run a few side effects are worth the overall benefit. I was reluctant to start this med too but I needed to.. let me know how you get on. I'm only in week 2 so its new to me as well.. youre not on your own! You might be absolutely fine, don't worry Xx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, going to try it today. I'll keep you posted, glad I found this site.

• Posted

Hi Laura, hope all OK. I'm glad I found this site too. It's been a big help to me this last few weeks. Let me know how you're getting on, and try not to worry I think you'll be fine X

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, took my first dose this am.

Hope all is well with you too.

• Posted

Yesterday not so good. My NP told me that I could still take my Xanax so today much better. Still not sure if I want to take the flouxetine though. Might up my dose of the Xanax to see how that goes. Since I'm only on day 2, I can safely go off the flouxetine. Thanks for checking up on me.

• Posted

Had a good day yesterday but up on and off all night. Woke up dizzy and nausea and very anixous this morning. Hopefully it will pass. Took my hbp med and a Xanax. Waiting to take the flouxetine though. Don't like this feeling. It felt like I could hear like a humming noise on and off in my head last night. Did you ever have that?

• Posted

Hi Laura, My nausea passed after about a week but I am more anxious this week than I was last week.. Obviously it is affecting us all differently at different stages. It seems you get rid of one thing and another appears, I suppose it is the med settling in?! I've read a lot of comments on this site and I think it's a case of just getting through and letting things settle in these early days. Not had the humming yet, I'll probably get that next!! As crap as it feels right now, (and the lack of sleep doesn't help I know) We are hopefully on the right track.. keep going Xx

• Posted

You too. Hope all gets better so we can enjoy this wonderful life.
    • Posted

I just wanted to let you know I had the exact same reservations about taking it! (Flu 20mg) I actually had the RX for almost 3 weeks before my hubby told me to give it a shot and if i didn't like it to just quit.  Well I finally did.  I am on day 6 and have had absolutely no negative side affects whatsoever.  This is my first experience with an ssri (anxiety related prescription).  I have unfortunately allowed everyone's negative experiences with the drug interfere with me taking it.  My GF has been on SSRI on and off for several years and has never had this type of negative affect with any of them either.  She is the one that told me to quit reading the internet because it was just freaking me out (she had to also)....I understand if some people do experience very negative side affects but it occured to me that those are usually the only people that would feel a need to reach out to understand what is going on with them.  I would be the same way if that was the case.  Just letting you know it doesn't happen that way for everyone.  Cheers!

• Posted

Im on day 7

Stomach pain, indigestion. Rib pain. Diarraha.

Want to give up now and just try counciling, too much pain to sleep.

Advise 😕

• Posted

Its not nice the side effects I know I went through it too. everyone on here says it and I agree it does get better, day 7 is early days. Would I go through it again (I m weaning off after taking for 22 months) yes because in time (average 6-12 weeks) you probably wonder how you got by without. Stick with it if you can take everyday as it comes don't try and 2nd guess how you will feel in days too come. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.