Flushing after drinking alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 22 years old, male. Recently, whenever I drink alcohol, my face starts to turn red and hot and my eyes turn red too. My heartbeat goes slightly high and I can feel a strong and strange alcohol smell when I exhale. Everything goes down to normal within an hour or two. This does not happen everytime I drink. Sometimes I'm perfectly fine. I have been drinking since I was 18 and mostly drink on weekends and in moderation. This used to happen when I started drinking alcohol, but one day suddenly it stopped on its own and everything was perfect for 4 years until now. Can anyone help me out with this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well my first thought is stop drinking alcohol. But I don't think that's likely especially at your age unless its something serious and I hope then you would consider quitting. It might be that you're having a mild allergic reaction to the alcohol. You could try taking Benadryl before you go out but the combination is dangerous because it will make you very sleepy so let somebody else do the driving. Also you might pay attention to the specific types of alcohol. Vodka is one of the safer alternatives. You might want to try staying away from the caramel colored alcohols like rum or brandy. As I said before your better off if you just quit drinking but if you do drink please do it safely.

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I know I'll have to quit and I'm trying too. It's just that I still have hopes that this problem will go away like it did last time. Also, I tried out vodka, beer, whiskey, gin, rum and all gave me the same reaction. In the past I've never had any problems with any of these. I remember this happened to me last year when I used to workout a lot and I started eating raw egg yolks. At that time this problem happened again and I stayed away from alcohol for 2weeks and everything was fine again. I hope everything gets fine on its own or I'll have to quit. sad

• Posted

Do you have high blood pressure? Your body might not be breaking down all the chemicals (acetaldehyde) in the alcohol. You could  be developing some type health condition. You might want to tell your doctor about this on your next visit.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying. I visited a Doctor last week and he checked my blood pressure and it was fine. He gave me some pills and I had them for 3 days and I tried drinking the next day. There was no redness but the alcohol breath stayed and I was not feeling the buzz of alcohol at all. This was only for a day and the next time it was the same problem again. I asked the doctor about the problem and I don't know why he didn't have an answer to any of my questions. He also didn't tell me about the pills which he gave me.

• Posted

Alcohol is a atrange one, why some people become addicted and others do not. My mothers family came from north London all drinkers, but not alcaholics, they drank in pubs at weekends. They would be there from lunch till late on a Saturday. My ex husband’s pulse would always go up on the first drink, and his face would reden, he was a functioning alcaholic never missed a days work. Not a lot of research on alcohol as a real money maker. There is a drug now that will inhibet the part of the brain that reacts to alcohol and opiates. This could have been the meds your doctor gave you, but should have told you.  
    • Posted

Hi ooops64. I hope you don't mind,but I'd like to know what your ex-husband did with that face redenning problem? Did he find a solution to it?

• Posted

Hi Miyer,

That's good that your blood pressure is ok. I am wondering what type medication the doctor gave you. Do you know the name or the number on the pill?

• Posted

Hi brown45840,

There was no number or any type of imprint on it. There were two round tablets. The small one was light blue in colour. And the bigger one was Yellow and had blue and pink specks on it.

• Posted

Hi Miyer,

You should call your doctor to find out what you are taking. You could also ask the pharmacists. Also, how are you taking these pills? 

• Posted

I took both pills once a day after breakfast for three days.
    • Posted

Nope he didn't care he loved his beer too much. It may be as another said I think on here, may be the type of alcohol you drink. There is the grape, or I think Vodka is derived from potato could be wrong though. Try different types.

Maureen

• Posted

My last post is in the hands of the moderators. Naltrexone may have been the pills that doctor gave to you. I posted a website but may not be allowed.

Maureen

• Posted

Why would he give me this? I suppose this medicine is used to reduce one's desire to drink alcohol. Am I right?

• Posted

You should find another doctor. Your face should not turn red when you drink. A good doctor should be able to get to the bottom of this. I am thinking you probably have some other health issue.
    • Posted

A Medicine That Blunts The Buzz Of Alcohol. I just think it is strange that those pills, I think you said worked for the day. That doctor should have explained what he was giving you, and what they were for. I would go back ask him what they were. Perhaps you could ask his receptionist for a repeat of the prescription, purley to find out what they were.Naltrexone is to help people cut down on alcohol.

Maureen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.