Flying/holidays

Posted , 6 users are following.

going on a four hour flight in two months. Had my surgery in November. Ankle still swells especially if sit for a period of time.

any advice or tips anyone can give?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Probably ok by now, especially if you're now weight-bearing, but I would ask your doctor.  He might want to give you a prescription for self-injections of this prescription (they come in a pack).  You inject them into your stomach (it's nearly painless) to prevent a thrombosis in that leg.  I broke my ankle while skiing in Italy in February and to get back to the states for the operation had to have those, including injecting myself in the lavoratory on the plane!  I finally start weight-bearing this Saturday and am very excited about it!  
    • Posted

Thanks, had those injections when first came out of hospital and yes painless to give. 

By the time I go on holiday it will be six months post op, roughly another two months yet.

My main concern is swelling whilst on the plane but will ask my doctor if there ant prescription he can give me before I fly.

• Posted

Only a few more days now Ron! Please let us know how it goes and any advice they give you re. the PWB. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks, Patti, what is your current progression point??
    • Posted

How long is your flight? You can always bring a pillow, if TSA will let you, and lay your leg on top of your travel companion to keep it up in the air after take off smile
    • Posted

I can walk at 25% WB no problem and no pain at all for the foot with the crutches. If you added it up, I probably only walk an hour a day around the house though. I feel like I should probably walk a lot more (even though it is the end of my first week). The only problem is my hands on the crutches get sore...but it's a lot better now that I got gel covers for them. I should wear my thick bike gloves, but often don't do it as I should, because they are a bit of a hassle to take on and off all the time, and I'm not very patient with things like that. You may want to ask you PT how much you should walk each day, once you can do that. Are you still waiting for PWB until that screw gets out or can you start Sat? Because crutch walking is sort of a pain, and often I want to do something fast, I still jump too much on the knee walker, especially because it has a basket and I carry things around easily with it, which you can't do with crutches. I think I will start using a backpack with the crutches because I don't want to slow down recovery due to this. I wish I could rub my leg and massage it. I worry how frozen it is going to be when they take this darned cast off! You are so lucky you can move your leg around a little, air it out, and massage it. Good luck with PT!! I  am so excited for you to be able to start that! Please let us know what they have you do for the first appt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.