flying with anxiety

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys just after some tips and advice. I'm flying from london to Spain on Monday and I go through phases of being so excited and then to fear. I'm worried about being at the airport and on the plane. How can I cope with this? Thanks x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Weeasy, it sounds like anxiety to me.

Tell me are you taking any medication, and if so what? 

• Posted

Just one small point and that is, maybe you should take a copy of your prescription with you just in case customs stop you and ask about the medications you have with you.

The other matter relates to the type of travel you are going to be taking.

Statistically flying in an aircraft has been proved to be the safest form of transport and the most comfortable, so what is it about it all that is really troubling you? 

• Posted

I don't have a fear of flying, I have general anxiety disorder and I'm scared I'm going to experience an anxiety attack in the airport or on the plane
    • Posted

Are you going on this trip alone, or will someone be accompanying you?
    • Posted

Fabulous. Then you will have someone with you who you know and trust.

Just put your trust in your dad to make sure you are ok.

If you feel uneasy then please speak to your dad and tell him how you feel.

He is not going to let anything bad happen to you.

Just try to relax now and have a great trip - enjoy.

Rod x

• Posted

I would say whilst on the plane do some breathing excercises and take some of your meds to calm your nerves
  • Posted

You go into a protective state of mind for your self, it's just life, everyone else is in the same boat as you are. Talk to your self, say nice things to your self, like good job girl, be kind to others with joyfulness , talk to Jesus and God, because they love you, watch all your things as not to loose anything, make a list when you get nervous, have a book, a pen and sprial,
  • Posted

The worrying about it, and fear of a panic attack, might just make you have one. I had one on a plane once, and all the people around me were very understanding and helpful. Don't be afraid of what others may think. My therapist had me make a small bag of things from home to take with me on trips. Familiar things help to keep you calm. Also if you have a way to listen to some calming music helps. Good luck on your trip, and ENJOY!!!
    • Posted

Make sure you take some Bach's Rescue Remedy with you. Put a few drops or spray a few drops on your tongue before travelling and it will definitely help you relax.  Available from Boots etc
  • Posted

Hello Weeasy

Take heart......nearly everyone feels nervous ABOUT being nervous.  Even regular fliers.  I try to think about the air crew who are flying as a job.  I used to be terribly nervous about the whole procedure, but over the years have travelled the world on some very long flights.  Still feel edgy if we hit turbulence, but I  look around and see that others are still doing their crosswords, reading, listening to music etc.  Not easy, but time and experience all helps.  Good Luck!

• Posted

You could mention this trip to your GP.  He or she may be able to give you something to calm you down in addition to the sertraline.  Also you could try doing a crative visualization, where you imagine getting to the airport, feeling calm, going through sercurity, even more calm and relaxed, going through to departure lounge, calmer still, getting on the plane, the calmest you have ever been, taking off and enjoying the experiece, then falling asleep because you and so chilled, calm an relaxed. cool
  • Posted

I've just remember an other thing I've d one in the past when I've been particularly anxious, or scared I might become anxious!redface I used to have relaxing meditation music CD's I'd listen to on my walkman.  Nowadays there must be something similar on i-tunes, or whatever device you have.  It would be calming instrumental music, usually with a slow beat.  Pan pipes, or whatever.  Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells usually works for me, but you could find your own one that works for you.  Plus hold your Dad's hand!
  • Posted

Hi, unfortunatelly like you I am very scared and anxious about flying, I had actually asked for some advice on here to help me whilst on the flight.

I think the main thing is keeping yourself very distracted and don't think about it.

As someone suggested on my post I have tried some meditation music and it did helped a bit.

Hope it goes well for your. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.