Foamy Urine, 16 years old.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay so here are the basics:

I am 5’11, 180lbs, 20% bodyfat. My blood pressure is 115/70 and my resting heartrate is 68. I had a urinalysis for my foamy urine about 8 months ago but the tests came back fine and I was told not to worry. To this day I still have foamy urine almost constantly (except some mornings). If I drink more water or pee on the side my urine remains foamy. I have no symptoms of swelling or any pain, shortness of breath, etc. and my symtpoms havent worsened over the past 8 months. Any ideas? Im going back in 2 weeks for another urinalysis and a blood check (I had a physical schedueled and thought why not get my blood checked). Any ideas?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Alex,

I'm assuming that you're going landing to get another urinalysis when you go back in two weeks. In addition, if you want to be thorough, you might request a renal panel. That just involves them drawing some blood. It would provide detailed information regarding how well your kidneys are actually working. You should also talk with your doctor about anything you do regularly related to exercising and nutritional supplements you may be taking. You may be doing something with vitamins or other supplements that is causing the foam. Or, you may just have urine to hat is naturally going to foam some. I know several who post in this forum have foam without elevated protein in their urine.

then once you get your labs back, I'd trust the data. Keep an eye on everything with regular checkups. Otherwise I wouldn't worry.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Alex

Presuming you are male... just a random thought here... try peeing sitting down.

It maybe sheer gravity, height and the force the urine comes out that causes it to be foamy.

Hope all is ok, doesnt sound serious and not uncommon! 😉

• Posted

Alex.  I am just a couple years older than you, I'm 68, lol.  Seriously even though the age difference I have the exact same situation.  The foam is constant.  The tests show nothing.  You said in the mornings some times it is not foamy.  Generally this is the time when it is not uncommon to have foam.  Mine is constant too.  I can drink little or lots and there still is foam.  Do you notice a lot of foam or just partial coverage of the water in the bowl.  Mine changes from a lot to partial.  When you use the side of the bowl is it less??  Mine still creates foam but a lot less but when I use the side I notice there appears a few spots of something sort of floating on top of water.

?Try one more thing Alex.  Take a bowl, or measuring cup or bottle and urinate in it.  Do you get foam or is it normal?  When I do this it seems normal.  So doctor suspects it is not the urine but some other factor.  Do you get it at school too?

• Posted

I will try what you said and get back to yet when I have to go next. Also, I get foam at orher toilets and my dad also has foamy urine but no protein. Also, my urinate fluctuates from somewhat foamy to a little bit of foam only, and when i pee on the side I get a lot less foam but still some. Like I said though, Ill pee in a cup and tell what happens.
    • Posted

Okay so I peed in a cup and it foamed up then the foam disappeared in 3-4 seconds. It got somewhat foamy then cleared up pretty fast. I looked at my urine and it was clear and didnt smell (just thought I’d add some info).
  • Posted

You sound quite normal to me, but of course I am no doctor.  Especially when you mentioned your dad is of the same condition.  As am I.  I get foam exactly like you do.  Sometimes lots, sometimes not, but always, in all situations (cup, side of bowl, etc.).  And the fact that it disappears in 3 to 4 seconds when not in a bowl is quite normal.  It is admirable that you are caring about your self and paying attention to your body even at your age.  And you will feel much better about it all after your next tests show normality.  I go to a cardiologist, a primary care doctor, a kidney doctor, and a urologist.  That is a lot of experts.  None of them have an explanation as to my foam.  No abnormalities show in my urine or blood tests that should cause foam.  They all say, it is just my nature.  Just like your Dad's.  And apparently just like yours.  Let us know how your next test results are, but Alex you sound fine.  I bet we would be surprised how many of us have the same situation but it isn't exactly a subject you and your friends talk about, so it is hard to know.  I bet one or more of your friends has the same thing.  You are doing the correct thing, just listen to your doctors.  You sound fine.

• Posted

thanks for ur reply

1 more question, how long do you have this foamy urine ? 

• Posted

To be honest I never paid much attention in life about foam.  So I could have had forever or recently, etc.  Then when my kidney was removed last July I started investigating CKD related conditions.  I read protein leakage was a sign of CKD and caused foam.  Also after the operation there is no doubt that the amount of urine foam increased.  It was constant, quite a lot.  But at the same time I also increased my water consumption.  So obviously some portion of it is contributed to the fact that I have just one kidney trying to do the work of two.  But since all my doctors, all of them, find nothing in the urine wrong and that this is just now my nature.  But here is a surprising and positive fact.  My urine was the most foamy in the morning.  There is always enough foam to cover the water in the bowl but in the morning it a large large amount.  Now that the weather is nice here I have again started walking, 3 miles a day.  For about 3 weeks now.  And just yesterday I notice the amount of foam had drastically decreased.  It is still present.  Still more in the mornings.  But down a lot.
    • Posted

Congrats on getting started walking again! Three miles a day is excellent!!!'

Marj

• Posted

I'm glad to know your foam is not indicative of nephritis. Sorry you have s****y kidneys how did you end up with your condition and one kidney? How do you feel aging at 68 and deal with health conditions like you have. Im 29 and approaching critical mass smile At some point ill be where you are and probably worrying about my p**s and s**t till I die. Haha. No no I think ill be fine, however I do ponder life and am realizing things aren't forever and come faster then I notice. And yet I still take for granted my time and don't do adventurious now, thinking tomorrow is a reasonable time to do it. 

• Posted

Hello Alex, i just wanna know ur update, i am almost 20 years old and having the exact same problem, but i havent tried peeing in a cup or a bowl tho, can you descrice the foam, is it like a beer or just a transparent bubble ? and how're you now, does the test came back and nothing amiss ? 

• Posted

The foam is kinda like beer but less condensed and doesn’t pile up. It usually goes down in one flush, too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.