Foamy Urine, 16 years old.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay so here are the basics:

I am 5’11, 180lbs, 20% bodyfat. My blood pressure is 115/70 and my resting heartrate is 68. I had a urinalysis for my foamy urine about 8 months ago but the tests came back fine and I was told not to worry. To this day I still have foamy urine almost constantly (except some mornings). If I drink more water or pee on the side my urine remains foamy. I have no symptoms of swelling or any pain, shortness of breath, etc. and my symtpoms havent worsened over the past 8 months. Any ideas? Im going back in 2 weeks for another urinalysis and a blood check (I had a physical schedueled and thought why not get my blood checked). Any ideas?

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

and 1 more, can people describe peeing in a bowl or a cup ? i mean do you put the bowl or cup below and still peeing standing like u pee in the toilet or u hold the cup and hold it near ur penis ( im male ) < you dont say 

• Posted

I had my urine test today and Ill get a call tomorrow. However, my urine is actually always foamy. If I pee into a cup directly, not on the side of a cup, my urine foams up. If I pee standing or sitting, it foams up. If I pee on the side of the bowl, not directly in the water, it foams up. Quick question to you, do you have high blood pressure or diabetes?
    • Posted

dont have HBP for sure but i dont know witht the diabetes, planning on checking it soon 
    • Posted

Hi Alex,

Can you let me know the results? I'm having crazy foam! like for a month noticing it! Will get a urinalysis done Im buying the strips today.

I'm scared of the results, I have a lot of foam always. Well unless I drink a lot of water. Take care and ill wait for your results crossing fingers.

• Posted

If the foam goes away when you drink water it’s probably dehydration. I think you’ll be fine and apparenty foamy urine being benign is a lot more common than I thought it was! Anyways thanks for your kind words and I hope you are okay too!
    • Posted

Okay. High Blood Pressure can cause acute inflammation in kidneys leading to the leakage of proteins which isn’t very dangerous but should be looked into. Try lowering your blood pressure and see how things go! Best wishes!
    • Posted

Your doctor told you it is benign? So am I just dehydrated all the time? I pee so much after I drink water but I drink alot of coffee maybe this is it. Did your results turn out ok? tc
    • Posted

Ok so I don’t have my results yet, but I found that my urine is MUCH more foamy after masturbation. Though even when I don’t masturbate, it’s still there and doesnt go away but it’s less noticeable. Try it out if you feel like doing so, because it is likely to be semen getting stuck behind your urethra. Semen has protein and leads to frothy urine, and semen can stay in your urethra for around 48 hours, always causing some foam. PS: Do you have high blood pressure or lower back pain? Also, what’s your age?
    • Posted

Alex.  Have you tried to not produce semen for two days and then check your urine foam?  If you do not hear from the doctor, give them a call and just ask for your results.  I am sure nothing is wrong but it will give you peace of mind.
  • Posted

I think my urine test is negative for protein. It’s been way over 24 hours and I haven’t gotten a call/email and they said they would if they found anything! Feeling much more peace of mind! Also, to everyone that has foamy urine, apparently it’s quite common to have without a protein trace and about 5% of men have foamy urine without protein.
  • Posted

HI again, So I went out and bought some urine strips. Tested 10 times. With very bubbly urine, very dark urine, normal urine, light urine etc. I have no protein leaking. And I still bubble like crazy. I did have trace protein below 10mg/dl, when my specific gravity was beyond 1.030 ( which means very dehydrated) happend after 4 cups coffee, peed out everything than waited like 4hours. Had very concentrated urine. Anyway I read from many places in this case it contains more glucose and protein. Anyway every test was normal. So I am fine. Unless we have blood pressure or. I am sure we are fine.  We are good. I feel very relieved. It is amazing how sick I was from fear. I feel bad for everyone who worry about health too much, because, it indicated to me if something serious were to happen, I do not think I or they would cope. I don't know terrify s me smile But I know all of us are bound to sickness at some point. 

• Posted

Great to hear! Congradulations on your results and thanks for the kind words!
  • Posted

My results are back, and I will display them below. I am apparently completely fine and am part of this strange phenomenon! Anyways the results:

Color: Yellow

Appearance: Clear

Specific Gravity: 1.030

PH: 6

Glucose: Neg

Bilirubin: Neg

Ketones: Neg

Occult Blood: Neg

Protein: Neg

Nitrite: Neg

WBC: 0-5

RBc: 0-2

Squamos Epithelial Cells: 0-5

• Posted

Your doctor should have tested you every month for proteinuria or foamy urine.

Eight months is too long a period to not seeing a doctor.

Please see your doctor or a kidney doctor. a endocrinology doctor to check on you foamy urine, immediately.

Don't delay thar visit

Since I am on dialysis, the main causes of excess protein or foamy urine, is high blood pressure, cirrhosis of the liver caused by drinking too much alcohol, or a genetic disorder of the kidneys.

When I found out foamy urine I went to my doctor and she had urine test done every week.

My protein level's increased in one week, from .5, .7,.9, then 1.5. Over the years they changed from 1.7 to.2, but then changed to 1.5.. If you protein levels are over .2, it is time for dialysis. When my level went up to 5.3, I was immediately pit on a dialysis machine to clean my blood. Plus before that happened, I was leaking water out of my legs. This does not happen to everyone with a kidney disorder, but I have 2 genetic disorders--Minimal Change Disease and Focal segmental. Glomerulosclerosis. Or FSGS. These were discovered after I got a kidney biopsy.

You are young enough, but wise enough that you still have foamy urine.

My suggestion is to go to a kidney doctor, immediately to find out the cause if your foamy urine

Good luck. There are drugs that may help in slowing your problem.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear of your condition. I had a doctor visit and I got my results back as all negative, no traces of protein, and my blood panel resulted negative for kidney disease with a high gfr. Doctors stoll don’t know why I have foamy urine but it isn’t protein caused by kidney or liver problems. They don’t know what it is but they said I am doing good. Anyways, I hope you get better. With modern technologies long lives can be lead on dialysis! PS: Are you looking to get a transplant?
    • Posted

Hi again I'm so glad everything is cool! I'm still foaming everyday so I guess that's that! Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks dude! You too! By the way I’m still foamy too. Guess I just have to get used to it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.