Follow up appointment with Consultant

Posted , 11 users are following.

[kim20134]  kim20134 I saw the Consultant yesterday and I was 7 weeks post op. I have great bend and full extension. I told him that I had had an infection that had not been detected until week 4. He queried the GPs diagnosis (they don’t want any responsibility for infection). He stated that I should not be feeling fatigued, much pain and experiencing sleepless nights. And I should be much further down the line recovery wise. He said patients are ‘skipping’ into his room and wowing the op. I go out for a few hours at a time then become tired. The pain keeps me awake at night. I do chores and cook but tire easily. My husband and I thought I’d been doing well, walking without support and driving. Considering the infection had set me back a few weeks I thought his remarks were a bit harsh. 

He asked for more bloods and X-rays and wants me to return in 6 weeks. 

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Your doing great...... your post made me smile....the comments were harsh, I hope they didnt discourage you.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement. Unless you’ve been in this situation you can never contemplate how hard it is. As I said in a previous post you hear a lot about pre-op, the operation but sweet fa about post op! X
    • Posted

Your doing great and like you say NOBODY tells you about post op. 

This is my 2nd knee replacement had the left done 3 years ago and I can honestly say I’ve never felt pain like this. The restless leg for 6mths the sleepless nights. I aged in looks about 25yrs LOL! 

Don’t listen to your Dr they must be on another planet???? Good luck and take care. Xxx

• Posted

Do you think the pain ever goes?, I am so fed up. Another night i have not slept. Another argument with my husband because i am so low and terrible to be with. I am really struggling.
    • Posted

Trust me the pain does go and I know exactly how you feel. Depressed frustrated etc and not forgetting very emotional. Try and rest in the afternoon with an ice pack and keep on top of your pain relief. 

The worst for me 1st time round took about 3 months. I’m 4weeks in with the other knee and although pain isn’t quite as bad the bend is very tight and I’m hardly sleeping. So I go for a lie down in the afternoon and sometimes sleep for approx 20mins. 

It will pass. Be good to yourself and hubby should be giving you lots of TLC? 

Take care  Xx

• Posted

The pain does go away, Can't say how long it will be as everyone is different. Speak to your doctor regarding pain relief, he may change your medication. I Found it easier to sleep almost sitting up in bed, had to sleep alone in spare room but I didn't disturb my wife, and could watch tv ,read or listen to music if I couldn't sleep. It really does get better with time. It's almost 20 and 18½ years since my ops and still ok, you have a long time of pain free knee to look forward to. 

• Posted

Thank you. I have to have the other knee done and wondering whether I can possibly put myself and my husband through this again 
    • Posted

I’m 80. Had my first knee op two years + ago. Wondered if I could put up with the op again just yet: mid December. I reasoned that if I just put up with the pain in the second leg for six  to 12 months then I’d manage. Then I thought again. If I waited 6/12 months I would be that much older and probably less fit and able to cope. I’m still getting over the second op. It hasn’t been as easy as the first but I’m staying positive. Hope my contribution helps.
  • Posted

Hi I exactly the same thing and same reaction from my consultant. He said that my doctor had got it wrong and there was no infection.

Also that I should at 6 weeks be in less pain and sleeping. I felt to blame and pretended that I was feeling better. Which I now regret. Hope you are feeling more positive.

• Posted

Aw try not to get too down. It’s not easy and if you haven’t been through this you cannot understand how the pain, lack of sleep, fatigue and no appetite affects you. Your husband won’t want to see you like this and mine didn’t know how he could help me. I have sat sobbing in the night in the lounge by myself as I didn’t want to worry him. I have never ever felt so low in my life. I’m a half full glass person and so unlike me. The infection would have made you feel worse like me. 

It’s two weeks since that has gone and I’m improving daily. I ice and elevate my leg a lot. Sleep is getting better but two nights with no sleep at all this week. Such hard going. Keep persevering and don’t let this nasty process get between you both x

• Posted

Who are these consultants I keep reading about, dictating rather than suggesting how you might feel. Listen to your body and do what you can but DO DO WHAT YOU CAN and don’t keep just thinking about doing it.
  • Posted

You have to remember that your surgeon is perfect, almost god like in his own mind, he would soon change his attitude if he had a TKR. Everyone recovers differently and you seem to be doing great. I'm almost 20 years post op and still ok.

• Posted

Thank you David. My husband worked in operating theatres after he retired from the police. and You’re right they do think they are Gods. The GP was the same reprimanded me for taking 2 extra cocodamol a day! I was

awake all night and in agony. However he caught me on a bad day and now wishes he hadn’t said anything! 

• Posted

Hi. I think I know exactly how you feel. Very depressed & tearful. My hubby is a hard working lovely man but is hardly ever I'll himself so has no empathy or understanding. He's a hopeless nurse/carer....seems to think that it is better if I try to do things for myself....no pain no gain!!! It does put strain on our relationship as he is still in work full time & I seem (to him) to be lingering in bed!!! I keep telling myself that my body is obviously telling me to rest & am trying to ignore the impulse to try to do more & more. I am almost 3 wks post surgery & spoke to my doctor about the pain. I am still on 4-6 hourly paracetamol (2) and codeine (2) plus oramorph for night pain or occasional bouts of referred shin pain which can be excruciating. I couldn't manage with less atm. I also have a compression ice kit from Amazon which really helps every few hours. Are you on the right level of painkillers for your pain? I am trying to cope with living on a day to day basis....not focussing on where I 'should' be in terms of recovery. I am trying to maintain my self esteem. I really hope that you can do the same.Take care & keep in touch, Kim

• Posted

My Surgeon is not God but he’s damm good and I’d recommend him.
    • Posted

My surgeon was great, as were the physios. My surgeon has now retired. I was in hospital 5 days with the first knee and 7 with the other. I think spending that long in helped give me a good start to my recoveries, it appears that people are only in hospital 2 or 3 days now which seems to be a very short time for such serious surgery.
    • Posted

Fortunately my husband is great at looking after me. He’s been amazing the last 7 weeks and his cooking improved?!?! 

I ice all the time and take pain medication regularly.  

Each day shows slight improvement in level of fatigue and appetite. Pain varies day to day on my activity. 

I have resigned myself to the fact that I’m in for the long haul 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.