following on!!

Posted , 10 users are following.

So fellow hippies, not been on here for a couple of weeks.

12 wks post op.

Check up by stand in consultant, not so good!!!

As still having probs with stairs, socks and cutting toenails, was put through a few checks, conclusion was, despite walking and excersices, my bum cheek muscle, for some reason , has collapsed!!

( I did ask him if he was insinuating I had a saggy arse????)

Benn referred back to origanal surgeon, with recommendation of intensive physio. That's me off work now till Jan.

Am questioning whether I should have had this op, more importantly, should I go ahead with left hip, which I've been told, will need replacing in the future! !!!!

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Joy, wow cut toe nails!!!!! I assume I will never do that again. Don't think if want to lol. I am 63 and 13 weeks, can do stairs, can put sock and shoe on good leg but not bad one yet. I lack about an inch to getting foot on knee however, putting good leg up seems to bother hip on bad leg. I still practice the golfer bend when bending to pick something up and use pillow between legs when lying in side, only because I am use to it done so long. I understand wondering about having other done, good luck with your butt lol, that really has to be bothersome.....
    • Posted

I can't even get on my hands and knees to clean my oven or empty ashcan from rayburn! !! Is driving me crazy! !!!
    • Posted

Yeah, no hands and knees right now for me. I can get pretty low doing the golfer bend and bend your knee on good leg be sure to hang onto the counter.
    • Posted

Joy,

It sounds familiar, I'm almost 13 weeks and am also still using the pillow between legs out of habit.  

• Posted

I tried without for the first time last night. I did actually have a better nights sleep. All I have to do now, is being able to lie on operated side, this is still a little too painfull.

Joy

X

• Posted

Do you still lift your leg in and out of the car, I still do that most of the time the muscle strength just isn't there.
    • Posted

Funnily enough, today was the first time in 12 wks I've driven. I have a land-rover, so, is actually just right height. I struggled in "normal" cars. X
    • Posted

No, never had to, my hip was left leg so I back up to seat, sit pull myself as far back as can put good leg in and start manipulating bad leg just remember you can bend it, I kept thinking I couldn't once you bend it easier to move it in.
  • Posted

I've got saggy bum muscles too as some of mine had detached prior to op
  • Posted

What would intensive physio involve? My physio gave me resistance exercises which aggravates my hip to be done. 2lb weight on my ankle for lifting & side lifts etc. My 2nd hip crunches every time. So I'm taking the easier option of walking to exercise as I've has 5 nights of pain on hip & knee that's still waiting on op in January.
  • Posted

Hi Joy, 

11 wks post op from 2nd THR - still not able to put on socks without funny plastic aid, no cutting toe nails, no kneeling for me yet (standing back up is the challenge) -

all in all, still feel stiff and rigid but doing the best I can - the harder I push the less I accomplish - 

hmmm, collapsed bum cheek muscle ?  seriously? 

for some reason this intensive physio doesn't feel good to me - you are already experiencing muscle aches - 

in my book there is no gain in having pain post-op THR..

try not to worry about other hip right now - You will know when the time comes - 

be patient, kind and gentle with your self -   

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee, I am 13 weeks Monday glad to hear I am not alone..no way I could cut nails and I still use the sock apparatus. My thigh muscle still hurts some, I get up to walk and limp but once started it's better. I still get twinges in groin, do you? I read to push yourself but still worry about dislocation I had posterior. I am on another site where there is a nurse that monitors, she said a hip will heal itself if given time, not to do more than your body tells you, that you should never be in pain after exercise of you are to cut back. She said to walk walk walk and strengthen later if needed, I probably don't walk enough, live in country, no sidewalks but my road has heavy traffic and now weather is problem. I think I will buy indoor bike, doctor said okay.
    • Posted

We are more united by our problems than our successes

on this site, isn't that lovely! From kneeling down

I get up by putting both hands on something for support,

If I'm not near a support I don't kneel.

Cathie

• Posted

I have not even thought about kneeling down..have pent so many months prior to op knowing I coujldn't!

Agree we are united by our problems.  MArvelous isn't it.  Never feel you need to cope on your own.

Alice

• Posted

Hi joy,

Just re-read your post.

Saggy bum cheek is interesting because I had a lot of problems with something similar after I broke my neck of femur . Lots of physio sessions for about nine months did not do much for it.

I spent ages doing an exercise called "clam" to exercise the buttock muscle.

I still go upstairs one step at a time. Habit mostly I think.

Sock putting on is ok now at ten weeks post op. Toe nails are just about trimmed.

Still a few aches and pains in the morning though. Think the other hip is playing up now as well.

The finest exercise for me is going to baths and standing on one leg and also doing single leg squats on operated side. Standing on one leg is doable in water somehow

Hope your physio is gentle with you,

Hugs,

Shirley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.