Food Ideas

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm still waiting to have my gallbladder taken out and I'm really

struggling  to eat.   I'm  living  on sweet potato  and  crisps and  even 

that is causing me to feel badly bloated,  nauseous  and  have stomach 

pain.   I'm  so hungry  but there are so many foods I can't eat. 

What foods  are you managing to tolerate  while waiting for your operation or what  did you eat before your  operation  ?   Please tell 

me it gets better  after the op !!

Thanks 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I am in the same boat as you but I cannot tolerate hardly any fat.i seem to be living on sweets ham and chicken and some veg .I am hoping to be able to eat all the yummy food again after my op which should be in the next few weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Sara

I  can't  tolerate  much fat either.  I  can't  eat ham or chicken 

and I'm struggling to eat veg , only managing a spoonful of carrots  occasionally. 

Hope we both have our op's soon  and feel better. 

• Posted

Maybe try soups? Also lentils and pulses like barley and split peas are fat free but contain a lot of protein. Hopefully not much longer to wait. X
  • Posted

Hi Linda!

Before my surgery all I could eat was rice, chicken Brest and potato or sweet potato , it will get better after surgery! It's almost 3 months since my surgery and I can eat almost everything( I avoid super fat food/junk food)

I know it's not easy but there is light at the end of the tunnel ! Good luck and I wish that  you feel better soon

• Posted

Glad to hear from you are feeling better. Hope I do soon  !
  • Posted

Hi Linda.. I'm having my opp next week.. 😣I have had no appitite at all.. I've been living of rice and fruit which is pretty boring but at least it doesn't make me feel sick.. I've been told to stay clear of any fatty or dairy products.. I think it's the strong pain killers what make you have no appitite xx

• Posted

Hi Louise 

Good luck with your op , let me know how you get on. 

Hopefully you will be able to eat normally again. 

• Posted

Could i ask how you got diagnosed?

How long it took?

How long they said you woukd have to wait for removal and how long you have been waiting?

I'm living on chicken, tuna in spring water, rice, fruit and veg.

And how does everybody keep their calorie intake enough as low fat foods are low in calories.

Many Thanks

• Posted

Hi Matt.. I had a ultrasound scan.. but I've got to have a mri scan Wed. Before opp.. it all started last sun night.. it's been a terrible week.. the pain has been terrible.. They think I've got a stone stuck in the bile duck 😐

• Posted

Hi Louise, Thanks for the reply. Good luck for Wednesday. In a way you have been fairly lucky (not with the pain though) that it's not been to long and the ultrasound picked the stones up.

Take care

• Posted

My story is a bit of a saga Louise. Luckily at 44 i found myself in a position to take a long break from working. In Oct 16 i started to feel unwell then felt ok until Jan had right flank pain which i've had until this day. In March i started with shoulder blade pain and nausea 24/7 which i've had ever since and they are all classic gallbladder symptoms. I first went to my gp in March and it took until the end of April for an ultrasound whuch was normal. It then took until the end of June to get a gastro appt and he ordered a ct scan whuch i waited 3 weeks for then a further 3 weeks fir the results which were normal and as far as the gastro thought that was the end of things. I wasnt happy so i phoned the hospital and told them i wanted a call back from the consultant. When he phoned he stated that as my bloods that i had taken in April and June were normal and my CT and ultrasound i wouldnt get a HIDA scan and he would see me in November. Ultrasounds are not 100% accurate nor are CT scans plus neither can tell if your gallbladder isnt functioning properly but the HIDA would. I've never felt so ill and my local hospital is crap and i've lost 8 stone since Christmas. If its not gallbladder then they need to find some sort of diagnosis.

Bet you wished you didnt ask! But plenty of people round here with similar stories.

• Posted

So sorry to hear your health problems, Matt. I presume you’re UK based and NHS? I feel I’ve had an uphill struggle to get treatment too, so you’re not alone. Some people seem to get whisked in at the first sign of problems and get their surgery while some wait months or even years. I was even admitted with jaundice and told I’d have surgery then but didn’t have surgery until four months later. Seems like it’s the luck of the draw and a postcode lottery to boot!

How are you managing to cope?

• Posted

Hi Sickofwaiting yes uk and NHS. We have posted to each other many times. It's a total nightmare and nobody seems to care. It's just draging on and on.

• Posted

Sorry - wasn’t sure you were that Matt. I try to answer as many posts as I can. Sometimes I don’t feel I can help, then I see a post from someone who urgently needs advice. Didn’t see your posts for a while??  I’d assumed you’d had a diagnosis that ruled gallbladder out.

Losing 8 stones so fast must, on its own, be impacting on your health?? It has certainly been dragging on for you for some time now. Are your symptoms still the same? 

• Posted

Hi Matt.. so sorry to here that.. you must be going crazy!!! It's bad enough having an idea whats wrong with you, but when you can't get an answer it must be so frustrating 😲I've never been ill before so this is all new to me, and after reading some story's it's dredfull to read what people are going though think I've been pretty lucky up to now.. ( touch wood) that the hospital are on it.. hope you get it sorted soon x

• Posted

Yes the same Matt. Yes still feel the same with all the classic gallbladder symptoms.

You may remember i was carted off to a&e nearly 9 weeks ago and an urgent vascular appt was requested well guess what, i've had to chase and push for that it's a joke! I finally had that appt come through last week for next wed which will be a total of 10 weeks! It's a joke!

Thanks for replying to me on many occassions x

• Posted

I feel that’s what this forum is good at- giving support to each other through difficult times. 

I lost four and a half stones and have had to buy new clothes, underwear and even shoes!! Gone down a whole shoe size! Don’t know about you losing 8 stones- presumably nothing fits!!

• Posted

Nope nothing fits. Luckily i still had clothes from many moons ago that i started to wear but even they are getting to big. 

It's a great place for support and when i get sorted i will stick around to help others.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Matt

I was diagnosed by ultrasound  when looking for something else. 

I  should have had my op 10 days ago  but  I  was taken  ill  the day before 

so I'm having to wait for another appointment. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.