Foot drop

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone had foot drop caused by bulging disc. My calf pain has been excruciating and constant now for the last 2 days. I never used to have pain when sitting but that’s happened too. I’m trying to walk but feel like I’m having to lift my leg high to move my foot as the calf doesn’t seem to lift my foot. I have a new pain just above my ankle bone too. Will this go away or is this going to be my new reality?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear this Kirsteen. I won't be of much help. I only have one functioning kidney. As far as pain management, I can only take natural supplements like turmeric, ginger, chamomile, etc. Have you tried a TENS unit for pain management? I'm sorry to hear about your calf pain and drop foot. I get my shocks in my outer right knee.

• Posted

have you tried eating a lot of mushrooms? if not, look into it. natural anti inflammatory. I usually listen to country Music, but have found that Mozart on Pandora helps me relax and take my mind off the pain.  
    • Posted

Ross, no I haven't tried mushrooms. As additional anti-inflammatory besides my natural supplements and CBD oil, I'm eating blueberries, bananas, and Plums. Going to have to try the mushrooms. Thank you.

• Posted

I love mushrooms and eat them nearly every dinner time lol. I really need to get to grips with the pain, it’s driving me mad
  • Posted

I had a similar problem Kirsteen, numbness and foot drop the result of a bulging disc, the pain and numbness got progressively worse over a couple of years, as with you. I had to have an MRI  scan which revealed the disc was badly herniated and crushing my spinal chord. The operation removed the pain, but I continue to have numbness in my feet, although definitely an improvement and walking no longer painful. I would try to persuade your doctor to book you an MRI, as it sounds much like mine.
    • Posted

I had an MRI which showed a disc bulge at L5/S1 and another couple of smaller bulges which were glossed over. I just don’t understand why everything is getting worse. I thought my pain was a 10 before but this is madness 
  • Posted

Pain is one thing, but losing function in a body part is very scary. this could be just a flare up which could be revealed with a steroid you can used from your doctor. It helped me a lot when I had my flare up, but everything came back when I stopped taking it. from some people, it works very well though. an ESI might help as well but that might be temporary too. also, try ice. Stay away from heat as that might inflame the area more. 
  • Posted

They best way to fix this, of course, is to take care of the disc that's pinching the nerve causing the problem.  If you don't want the surgery, get an AFO (Ankle Foot Orthotic...like the one in the picture).  Put a sock or stocking over it and slide it into your shoe.  My wife has permanent foot drop from two TIA strokes when she she had brain aneurysm surgery,  The AFO helps.  She got one custom made with a special hinge because of her problem. 

A permanent fix is an ankle fusion to keep the foot from dropping...but that's waaaaay more radical than just having a decompressive laminectomy to take care of the nerve pinching from the disc.  Simple, same-day op.  Had two of them both very successful.

• Posted

I’m desperate for surgery. I was urgently referred to neurosurgeon but they downgraded it to routine, I’m also a veteran which they didn’t know so I’m hoping it might help me get seen sooner too. When I rang I was told it was nearly a 30 week wait which was last week. That’s only to see them 
    • Posted

That's a real shame on the waiting time.  I'm 70 and on Medicare (socialized medicine) here in the US.  I just call my neuro, see him in a week to 10 days, MRI the next day to confirm the diagnosis and on his surgery schedule.  The whole thing takes less than 30 days.  Of course, I ALWAYS try the less invasive modalities like chiropractic, acupuncture, PT, etc. first.  The surgery is really a last resort but when I need it, there's hardly any delay.

Really consider the AFO.  My wife's footdrop caused her to fall many times over the years and eventually led to a tear in her rotator cuff when she extended her arms to break her fall.  You don't want the footdrop causing more problems.

Also, try some Voltaren Gel (diclofenac over there).  Great topical anti-inflammatory and pain reliever.  Check with your doc or pharmacist for interactions with your current meds but they are rare.

• Posted

I would love to be able to pay private but over £5000 it just isn’t feasible. I’ve tried the gel before too unfortunately it didn’t seem to make much difference. 

• Posted

Hi Kirsteen, I also had a disc bulge at L5/S1 and was in a very bad way at one point. I couldn't sit, stand, walk, drive, sleep etc etc, this went on for about 2 years and I too at one point for at least a month, maybe more was walking with a limp, I couldn't push myself up with the front part of my foot which was very scary and caused problems with walking and going upstairs etc. I am happy to say that I am now walking properly again and the only symptoms I really have now is some numbness in parts of my leg and around the top and side of my foot. I was told that I would have to have an operation as the bulge was so bad but with some stretches I found on YouTube I am now 95% better, the bulge has gone back in, I have no pain and I no longer need an operation. I can send you the video to your messages if you like. I done these a couple of times throughout the day for about 2 weeks just as I was due to have the steroid injection and when I actually went for the injection they agreed with me that I no longer needed it. I know everybody is different but I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to get better from this just by doing some simple stretches, it worked for me 😊

• Posted

Hi Debbie thanks for your reply, you did stretches after 2 years of a disc bulge and it cured you? That gives me hope😀 I was beginning to think that after 9 months of this that I would be left with permanent nerve damage. Yes please send me the stretches. That’s fab that you are nearly better and out of pain

• Posted

Thank you so much , will try these when I was watching it I thought about the stretching The way he did it made a bit of sense trying to open up , so fingers crossed will start gently ,

Thank you hope I get same result as you even if it's slightly better ,

Mimm xxx

• Posted

Hi Debbie, sorry to butt into your conversation but, i have had sciatica for 4 months  and would appreciate it if you could message me the exercises please. i have done many off of you tube and all seem to hurt. Regards Amanda. x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda of course I will send you the video as soon as I get on my laptop, it’s on YouTube under how to heal a herniated disc and it’s a doctor with a white coat holding a model of a spine. He explains how if you do these stretches it opens up the spine and the bulge can get pushed back in which is what happened with me. I will send it to you when I get home shortly x
    • Posted

Sorry it's under how to heal a bulging disc, it should be the top one but I will send you it now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.