Foot drop

Posted , 11 users are following.

Has anyone had foot drop caused by bulging disc. My calf pain has been excruciating and constant now for the last 2 days. I never used to have pain when sitting but that’s happened too. I’m trying to walk but feel like I’m having to lift my leg high to move my foot as the calf doesn’t seem to lift my foot. I have a new pain just above my ankle bone too. Will this go away or is this going to be my new reality?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes honestly just by doing a few stretches, here is a picture of my MRI scan with my disc bulge before and after.  I too was so worried as I really didn't want to have an operation, the doctor said he'd not seen somebody heal so quickly after such a big herniation, and to just carry on doing what I'm doing. It has started to play up again every now and again but I just start doing the stretches again and within a couple of weeks I am back to normal again. Obviously I don't lift anything heavy and don't do any silly movements. I will send you the stretches to your messages

• Posted

Wow that’s brilliant, will definitely try them. I’m a post woman, do you think that at your level of fitness now that I could return to work, I walk around 13 miles per day, obviously carrying weight, up and down stairs etc?
    • Posted

Hm that's a hard one to answer. I can do everyday normal stuff like walk, run (which I dont really do lol) but 13 miles a day is a lot and like you say carrying heavy items up and down stairs all day probably won't help. I won't do anything now like jump down off of anything or do anything that might knock my back back out and if I am stupid enough to do too much gardening or lift anything heavy I usually pay for it the next day. But your obviously a lot fitter than me so who knows? 

• Posted

Certainly not fit now after 9 months of basically sitting down! The orthopaedic doctor who referred me for surgery said I wouldn’t be able to return but I’m waiting to see what neurosurgeon says, by what you say it’s not sounding likely now
    • Posted

Hi Debbie

I've been suffering with this for over 2 years omg it's destroying my life ,could you plz send me the stretching plan u did ,I'm willing to try anything ,I would be so grateful ,at moment I can't sit ,stand ,lay down just in constant pain ,

I'm so happy to read that you are great after 2 years omg so great news for you ,

Mimm xx

• Posted

Hi Kirsten

My right foot has dropped due to this ,I've been ill with for 2 years

Sciatica hell ,I have been putting my dressing gown cord under my foot and pulling straight as I watched on you tube and it says to retrain it to go back ,but I think it will stay like that untily back is fixed ,

I read wat a lovely lady said to you that she did stretches and it helped her ,have you tried them yet ,I've asked her to send me the plan ,willing to try anything , my feet also swell now bad since all this..

Mimmxxx

• Posted

Hi Mimm, Thankyou and I do really feel for you, I know how awful it is. I basically do the standing lumbar extension stretch and another one where I lean over to the side (opposite to the side my pain goes down) all the stretches my physio told me to do apart from the standing lumber one made me worse. I will send you the video x
  • Posted

you really need a orthopedic doctor to inject your back with their majic stuff

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.