Foot still turning red and purple after ORIF

Posted , 26 users are following.

It has been 4 1/2 months since my ORIF surgery. The bone is healed. I'm 80 percent weight bearing. What is really upsetting me is the color my foot turns when it is down. A violent red, sometimes purple. Occasionally even my calf will turn red and mottled.

I saw my surgeon and he diagnosed me with RSD. Except I do not have pain! And my skin is not turning colors from the temperature. It's either up and looks perfect, or down and bright red. Minimal swelling.

I had a leg scan to check for clots and my veins are great. No clots. Just a crazy weird pain on the inside and side of my knee that has been there since surgery. Doctor says it was a torn nerve. 

So so my question here, even tho I know I have asked before (sorry!) is can you guys tell me, in a very specific way, about your recovery from the foot turning colors when down after surgery? I just don't know if this will get better or if I now have venous reflux or something worse for the rest of my life. Am I being really paranoid or do I have something to worry about? Is there anyone else out there whose foot, and sometimes calf, still turned colors four or five months post surgery but got better??

you are all the best and I really appreciate every answer! I have been battling an ear issue which causes severe pain and vertigo, and that is really slowing my recovery (hard to start walking when your dizzy) but I am just so worried about the foot/leg. Thanks again!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

It took a long time for discoloration to get better; at least five months or so.  Eight months later, there are still days when the toes discolor. The more I strengthened the calf and foot, the better it got. I was told it was because my muscles were so weak they were not pumping the blood back up the leg. Once they got stronger, things got much better.    
    • Posted

Thank you Mel! I really needed to hear that. The discoloration when my foot is down is definitely worse since I have been starting to weight bear. I am hoping that it's just my arteries and veins getting back in order. So glad things are better for you!

• Posted

.  I feel for you. Make sure to ask the doc about it next time you go to make certain, but I'm glad I could ease your mind a little bit. Once my calf muscles and foot muscles started working again (mind you, working AT ALL. They're still not working 100%), the coloring improved. Healing and signs of improvement are incremental - I didn't understand HOW incremental till I went through it myself. It took months, and it's still not done. Wishing you continued healing!  

• Posted

Thank you Mel! And all the same right back to you?? Continued healing and better days! Yes, this is something that can't even be explained. There is no understanding it until you experience it. 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I'm in a similar situation as you. Did you purple foot when down improve and what did you do? Any help would be much appreciated!

• Posted

I know I'm weeks late to this question. I had ORIF March 13th so I'm 8 weeks out, still in the boot but I walk unassisted and can walk without the boot for simple things like going to the bathroom at night. In the shower or if my foot is down in a sitting position it turns this horrible red/purple and my injured leg has a different hue than the uninjured leg. My orthopedic surgeon told me they don't not why this happens to some people but to expect it for about a year. I have a inner knee pain and it's from the block they put in and I have numbness that's not going awaway. Did anyone else get the numb spot on the lower leg? I try not to worry but sometimes the numbing burns.

• Posted

I slipped on a wet floor and suffered a displaced fracture with all three bones fractured. ORIF surgery on 13th February 2 plates a load of pins and 1 large screw.

When my stitches were removed after two weeks I was put into a surgical boot for six weeks - I was expecting plaster for six weeks, followed by a boot. Six week check up and told boot no longer needed and just wear normal shows - hmm difficult with swelling.

Due to the current lockdown I'm getting physio phone calls fortnightly. She said on my first call (two weeks after the 6 week check up) that she would have had me weight bearing gradually as it is very brutal to go from non weight bearing to 100% weight bearing immediately.

So, I am improving and can drive my car fir short distances 11 weeks on from surgery. My foot hurts and goes red or purple a lot. My calf muscle has built up a bit but is very tight so I can only get down stairs or steps with my bad foot leading and with one crutch when tired. When my foot swells at night the dry skin near the scars itches like crazy and looks like fine tears in the skin as well as a few numb places.

To be honest I was expecting numbness as I had a C-section many years ago and the feeling came back after a few years when the red scar suddenly flattened and turned silver.

I can't wait until my own physiotherapist can start work on breaking down the scar tissue and working with me to assess how far I can push my recovery. There is light at the end of the tunnel as I have been making notes of small victories achieved during recovery and I can look back at photos and a video where I can barely move my toes.

With a few minor adjustments I am doing online classes for Pilates, all over body conditioning, Legs Bums and Tums - I started with seated chair based exercises to start with a couple of weeks ago and my goal is to eventually get back to two spinning classes, PIYO and Sh'bam dance class each week.

• Posted

hi Kimh, i am having a lot of the symptoms you are describing. csn you share wether your back knee pain and the numbness improved?

Thanks.

• Posted

I am 6 weeks after ORIF and have been worried sick about foot and leg turning purple every time i put it to the ground i have been in a boot for last 4 weeks and just told by surgeon to start full weight bearing. I had fractured tibia and fibula. I seem to be able to weight bear without crutches fine but after a while end up with numbness and tingling in toes. I also have pain in my heel. Did anyone else have these problems i feel like I am never going to be normal again

• Posted

hi did your problem ever resolve ? im facing a similar issue

• Posted

Hi it is 7 months since my ankle surgery and I still have red mottled skin and pain.So I hope it's normal. If anyone knows could they please comment. Thanks 😊

• Posted

My doc said I'll have mottled red purple skin up to 12 months post op. Nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi Jenn,

I have the same issue! I'm about 4 and a half months in after surgery. I broke my tibia, fibula, and several bones in my foot. I was getting compartment syndrome so I had to get a fasciotomy on my foot. I have to keep my leg elevated otherwise my leg and foot swell and turn bright red. Did your issue ever resolve? If so any recomemdations?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.