Foot still turning red and purple after ORIF

Posted , 26 users are following.

It has been 4 1/2 months since my ORIF surgery. The bone is healed. I'm 80 percent weight bearing. What is really upsetting me is the color my foot turns when it is down. A violent red, sometimes purple. Occasionally even my calf will turn red and mottled.

I saw my surgeon and he diagnosed me with RSD. Except I do not have pain! And my skin is not turning colors from the temperature. It's either up and looks perfect, or down and bright red. Minimal swelling.

I had a leg scan to check for clots and my veins are great. No clots. Just a crazy weird pain on the inside and side of my knee that has been there since surgery. Doctor says it was a torn nerve. 

So so my question here, even tho I know I have asked before (sorry!) is can you guys tell me, in a very specific way, about your recovery from the foot turning colors when down after surgery? I just don't know if this will get better or if I now have venous reflux or something worse for the rest of my life. Am I being really paranoid or do I have something to worry about? Is there anyone else out there whose foot, and sometimes calf, still turned colors four or five months post surgery but got better??

you are all the best and I really appreciate every answer! I have been battling an ear issue which causes severe pain and vertigo, and that is really slowing my recovery (hard to start walking when your dizzy) but I am just so worried about the foot/leg. Thanks again!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 11 weeks post op 5th metatarsal ORIF. My foot is normal color and no pain when elevated. However when I stand, my foot and leg/calf turn a deep purple/red/blotchy color. My foot and ankle swell and it hurts very bad like blood rushing to my foot pain/aching. My PT and surgeon tell me this is all normal and will get better once i strengthen the muscles in my ankle/calf but i am terrified i may have CRPS. I can't barely walk (been weight bearing as tolerated for 8 days, and it hurts so much I cant stand. Praying its "normal" for me.

• Posted

sky has this gotten better for you?! i'm in the same position and scared

• Posted

Today marks exactly 5 months since I slipped (the road was wet from rain) and fell down while out for a walk with my dog which ended up causing a trimalleolar fracture in my right ankle. Orif was six days later with one plate and nine screws. After surgery, my leg was in a cast for 6 weeks and then I was in the CAM boot for another six weeks until I transitioned from PWB to FWB with the help of my physical therapist and ankle rehabilitation exercises.

Since I removed the cast and started PT, my right foot has gone through all shades of purple and red but now after 5 months it has improved quite significantly and can retain a normal color for longer periods of time. I don't know if the fact that I still keep my leg elevated whenever I can has helped or not.

So far, I have completed 60 sessions of PT, and I can confidently say that my ankle recovery is almost at 85%. Today, for the first time, my therapist tried to make me run for 2 minutes at the speed of 8.2 on the threadmill and it was ok-ish. I also had no issues doing some light jumping exercises.

Three weeks back, my two main struggles were doing single leg calf-raises on the injured leg and walking on my tip-toes, so I started to practice those exercises in the swimming pool which helped tremendously to strengthen the ligaments/tendons that support those moves...I still need some improvement on that front but I am hoping that with time it will get better.

With all the progress, I still have some mild pain that gets better with rest and worse with physical strain around my ankle. Also the two screws on my medial malleolus bothers me whenever I try to improve my ankle's dorsiflexion, so I intend to remove the hardware whenever my doctor gives me the ok to do so.

After 5 months, I just cannot wait to leave this nasty injury behind me and to move on with normal life. I just wonder when will I get the ok to ditch my tennis shoes for normal shoes especially that winter is just around the corner.

• Posted

My friend had orif surgery 2 years ago and for 6 months her her entire leg turned magenta purple. She is fine now. No worries!

• Edited

I'm so glad to have found this discussion. 2 1/2 months since my ORIF Surgery. My fall took place outside of a restaurant where there was a step I didn't see.. broke several bones and have a very long plate with loads of screws.. No cast but a boot,, no weight bearing for 12 weeks. Thought there was something wrong when I noticed the same thing happening with my foot and ankle. I will still confirm with my doctor but this has made me feel so much better knowing that there's so many others dealing with the same thing. Best to everyone and that we all heal quickly and can get back to being active.

• Posted

Hi, around 5 months ago I fell and broke and dislocated my wrist and broke my foot. I had surgery on both and plated and pins in both. My foot was a LisFranc fracture ans I had ORIF surgery. I am now 4 months post op yet my foot and leg is still turning red/purple and blotchy and immense pressure as all the blood pools to my foot ans doesn't circulate, it goes worse when I'm standing still and fully weight bare... it is absolutely fine when elevated and normal colour however as soon as i put it down changes. i am also getting tingles in the affected leg. my orthopaedic consultant is telling me this is normal, however i am becoming increasingly concerned as i see no improvement atall, i am unable to live my normal life if i can not stand in the shower for instance for longer than 5 minutes before my foot turns purple ans the pressure is unbearable. I am thinking of booking a private consultation for some answers but just wondered has anyone else experienced this so long post op? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.