Footwear for bad bunions

Edited , 4 users are following.

so i've started the process of getting my feet done. I went to my doctor, he said that he isn't allowed to refer me until we have shown we have don all we can to manage them for 6 months. He apologised for having to do this but said its their guidelines and referred me to a podiatrist. This morning I saw her and she was lovely. She sighed and said she was sorry they had sent me to her, that yes i have very bad bunions which need surgery and (as i knew already) she can do nothing but write to my doctor recommending surgery.

Ive had two incidents of pressure sores on one of them, about the size of a 10p piece - making it extremely painful and difficult to manage because its hard enough finding shoes wide enough but adding dressings to the equation makes it even worse. My podiatrist said its not always the width of the shoe thats the problem but the depth of it too.

my question to you all is please could you let me know which brands of shoe you have tried, can you recommend any that for me to look at trying whilst I wait half a year before my doctor is allowed to refer me?!! I'm a young 45 - I don't wear heels but would like to have some preferably that don't look like I'm drawing my pension prematurely.. I've tried a lot of wide shoes but they are sometimes too wide around the heel and like the podiatrist said, not deep enough at the toes.

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    So, I have had my foot done (only one was bad) and I found that after surgery, not only wide but also deep shoes were necessary. I found a few pairs by Propet. Also, shoes that are for diabetics. Good luck!

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi sorry to hear about your problem i feel for you as i have just had a opp for a bunion second one on the same foot as the first opp was done wrong by a differant surgeon. I Buy fitflop or sketchers, fitflop are quite exspensive but quite fashionable. You can buy them on line take a look. Hope this helps. Good luck for the future

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted


    If you are in Great Britain the best shoes are those made by DB shoes. Type it into Google. They are online with some retail stockists.

    They are specialist shoes for wide feet or people using orthotics. a bit expensive some might say but average at about £80. The wider sizes are exempt from VAT.

    The catalogue comes with fitting and measuring chart best of all returns are post paid. Shoes for all issues and occasions, including some that are made out of stretch material. Honestly the greatest discovery I've ever made.

    Also if your in Great Britain go to GO and ask to be revered to a foot and ankle surgeon not Locals or Connect Health.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up