Footwear Post TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

Out of interest, what are you ladies wearing shoe-wise after the op?

Whilst I am 63 and a grandmother, I really don't want to wear anything too frumpy, but accept footwear needs to be sensible and supportive.

Suggestions, please.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hahaha...never mind the ladies, I'm 4 months down the road, and can't wear anything but sandals (the ones you can adjust with velcro), as my foot is still swollen. sad

It's definitely not the sexiest look, and it's a complete fashion disaster.  Socks with sandals...But I'm getting old enough to not care...Comfort reighns.

• Posted

Hi Pete,

I just wanted to say that socks and sandals are a perfectly acceptable look. I see a lot of men wearing socks and sandals and they look just fine. You are too hard on yourself smile

• Posted

Noooooo...it's a definite fashion disaster!!!..hahahaaha....Ask one of your kids or gandkids....And especially if you wear shorts with socks and sandals...

But then again...Do I much care about fashion?  Probably not.  But when I'm at home, or I go out shopping or whatever, I definitely lose the socks...But when I'm off to work, that's a different matter...hahaha

• Posted

nooooooooooo, never pete.  socks & sandals are a definate no no. it looks really naff. mind you, it does depend how old you are?. losing the socks is much better xx
    • Posted

Hahhaha...I knew I was right...haha....However, I work at a steel foundry, which isn't ideal for wearing sandals...So I wear the socks too...Lucky I only work in the offices...But I don't wear shorts to work so the socks with sandals doesn't SCREAM 'fashion disaster' so much....hahaha
    • Posted

good for you, lol. good job you are in the office, if you need a sit down, it is allowed, so do not push it. julie xx
  • Posted

That's a big problem lol. My favourite footwear are skechers shape ups ..because I had real heel problems plantar fasciitis , or something like that. These really help as they distribute your weight ..I use clarkes unstructured when I have to look smarter .i was thinking th either day , would I ever be able to wear fashion heels ? 
    • Posted

Thanks.  I'll check Skechers out.

Don't think I'll ever wear heels again, for safety as much as anything, which is pretty dire for me at only 4ft 11ins!

• Posted

Walking sandals all the way, you dont have to push your feet in. One task you dont have to worry about.!!  just hope the weather stays nice.

• Posted

Hi Lynn, shoes are a nightmare aren't they? I haven't been able to wear anything with a heel for nearly 2 years now. I was looking forward to wearing some after having the knee done but think it'll be a while yet! I find sandals with Velcro fastening are great and what I've worn really since the op. I also have a lot of pairs with a bar across as I find I can't wear loafer or pump style. I've got my grandson's Christening on Sunday and a wedding in 3 weeks. I've got to begin planning outfits with the shoes!! Think it'll have to be pretty sandals and a maxi dress for the wedding. It's so frustrating as you need a bit of a heel for anything to look really smart don't you? My son is getting married December 2015 - I'm hoping to wear a nice pair of smart shoes with a little heel for that 😊. As for everyday wear, I'll continue to wear my comfy flats with good support round the ankle. I find Clarks have the best choice usually or Pavers. 

Jen x

• Posted

I've been planning outfits round shoes for the past five years or so!  Comfy shoes become such a problem as you get older.  Plus my feet have certainly spread in the past few years.

I remember clearly my Mum getting to this stage and thinking that'll never happen to me.  Fool!

• Posted

Know the feeling well! Never mind, being able to walk comfortably is the main thing isn't? As with everything else, on this site you realise you're not the only one 😊  If I find any flat,comfy, PRETTY shoes, I'll let you know 😊
  • Posted

Hi Lynn, hope you are doing ok? I have been living in my little flat black shoes that I wear for my job as a nurse !! I just don't feel safe in anything with a heel yet?

Having said that it was my grandsons christening yesterday and I did warn her that I might have to wear my old faithfuls on the day if the swelling hadn't gone down. Luckily I was able to get my best cream sandals on which have a wedge heel, but as I am still relying on my crutches to walk outside I felt fine!!

I did take them off in the car as it was a. 30 mile journey!! Plus I had them off under the table at the party afterwards, lol!!

• Posted

Well done.  Feet are such a problem as you get older!

Remember the days when, if I liked the shoes, I wore them come what may!  Maybe that's the problem now!

• Posted

Hello Lynn. I've been wearing trainer-type shoes for years, ever since my first hip op. I've now had 2 knees done as well and I find trainers very good for support and, if you get the right ones, they're not frumpy either. I was very sad to give up on my stilettos etc, but at 74 it's probably a good idea anyway!! Good luck. Ann

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.