For anyone starting sertraline....... Hang in there! It does work!!!!!!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I have previously posted, but not for a while as like many others, when u feel better u don't use forums anymore. I just wanted to let others know that r on or just starting sertraline to hang in there. I know it's hard and u will feel worse before it gets better, but the good days will come. To get me through the rough crippling anxiety start up days I used rescue remedy alongside starting on 50mg sertraline. I highly recommend it. Also to keep busy with a hobby ( I learnt how to knit on YouTube ) and doing lots of puzzles ie word searches and suduko and reading magazines. Anything just to pass time and keep my racing thoughts at bay. I started on 50mg and took them for 8 weeks, then went to the doc for my review but I was still feeling abit anxious so she upped me to 100 mg ( which I didn't want to do as wanted to give it more time ) but I took her advice and took the upped dose of 100mg. I did have some start up side effects again but they were mild, nothing like the first time side effects. Anyway I have now been taking the upped dose of 100mg for 11 weeks now and I feel really good. Just like my old self!!! So for anyone starting or still in the early stages of taking sertraline, hang in there and take everyday as it comes. U survived yesterday and your still here!!!!! Think positive, keep yourself busy, try to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone, even if it's just washing up!!! Good luck to everyone who reads this. U will get better!!!!! X

13 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you so much for posting this it's really given me some positivity😊 I was ok sertraline last year which worked wonders and I eventually wheened off. Unfortunately the anxiety returned with the vegence and as well as starting back on the sertraline I have also starting therapy so fingers crossed! I started on the 50mg for 4 weeks. The doctor then upped my dose to 100mg and I'm now on the fourth week of that dose. But I'm still not feeling any better and I'm starting to worry that it will never work😞 I feel like it worked a lot sooner the last time? Do you think I'm just being impatient?
    • Posted

Hi, I have heard that if u take it for a 2nd time, it's just like starting all over again. Yes I think 4 weeks on the upped dose is still very early days x
  • Posted

Thank you for your post it does offer some reassurance. I've been on sertraline for depression and anxiety for just over four weeks. In the third week (last week) I had to go back to my GP as have been feeling suicidal and more desperate. The doc upped my dose from 50mg to 100mg. I've just started to feel slightly brighter but it doesn't last long before I feel low again. Will be starting CBT in the next week or so and hoping that along with the tablets really start helping. Thank you again for your words of encouragement!
    • Posted

How u going. I see little rays of hope but they last about ten mins when I'm with someone who pulls me up. I'm still getting patches each day where I'm a total wreck and feel I'm loosing my mind and control when I'm alone or in public places. It started in pregnancy (2nd time with this) iv been on 50mg for 7weeks. Week 2-4 where OK but then I dropped and got worse n worse so been on 75mg 2weeks tomorrow and still little hope I feel so desperate and scared. Makes u realise how much u love been yourself when its suddenly taken from you x
    • Posted

Hang in there rachel I know it's horrible and know what you mean about ups and downs. People keep tellin me it will get better and although I don't believe it most of the time I have flashes or glimmers of hope for the future so I'm clinging onto that ... I hope you can find the same glimmers of hope and build on them. Remember you're not alone even if you feel you are smile x
    • Posted

How u finding 100mg. I started this today. My chest is really tight and I'm dizzy but my anxiety makes me dizzy. I'm so scared this will make me worse or never work and I'm stuck this way. Hate this so much I want me back I want to enjoy my beautiful family at the moment I feel like I'm insane
    • Posted

I'm sorry it's having that effect on you sad it's different for everyone but I definitely experience heightened anxiety with the 100mg ...it comes over in waves and can be paralysing ...the day before yesterday I was so anxious I couldn't stand up or eat or talk. My girlfriend doesn't understand but is very supportive. All I can say to you is hang in there and ride it out ...that's what people keep telling me. You're not insane or mad but you are unwell and things aren't right but with time you will be ok! Things may even get worse before they get better but we have to believe things will get better. Stick with it and stay the course. A couple of weeks ago I thought I might actually kill myself but the tablets have definitely subdued the worst of those thoughts!
    • Posted

The thought of suicide scared me I get why people do it because iv been there were its like hell but I'd never do that I have a perfect live apart from this illness ! I recover after my last pregnancy so I can do it again surely. I get like a wave of it that grows up and up inside and I need to get back in the moment before I go into depersonalisation which is a awful feeling. Hope u get well soon
    • Posted

Thank you Rachel and you! It's a rough ride but you will be ok smile you said it yourself if you can through it once you can do it again! Take care
    • Posted

Hi I read your old post did SERTRALINE evrntually work for you I was at 25 mg 2 weeks now 37.5 for a week dr wants me at 100 I already feel like I'm going insane my panic is 10 times worse and I feel hopeless like I'm going to feel this way or EORSE as the doses go up ... I keep fading in and out of normalcy... I'll feel looney tunes then normal ..... I feel speedy racing mind...... Is this normal to feel like this when starting ??? Was it for you?
  • Posted

How's everyone doing and how far in on your dose? Hope ur well doing well x
    • Posted

Hey Hun. I was on 50mg for 8 weeks and 100mg now for 12 weeks. I was told 50mg was a starting dose and 100mg-150mg is a normal dose. It has been a struggle of ups and down the whole way through but I still have anxious days but I think everyone does anyone. I used rescue remedy through the tough anxious days, and I eat bananas, crackers and biscuits through the nausea days. I def recommend rescue remedy to anyone and u can take it with sertraline.mthey do a night time one aswell if u have more trouble at night with anxiety. I know it's hard but it's best to keep busy. I learnt how to knit and read magazines, done puzzle books and read self help books by Claire weeks. Always think positive and use daily affirmations to boost your mood. I wish u all the best on journeys and the only way is up!!!!!! Xx
    • Posted

I started 100mg today after 2weeks of 75mg and I'm scared (increased fluoxetine one and I went totally crazy) I have serve postnatal anxiety its really like a state of panic all day long. I get moments I feel normal but there short lived. 0n 50 week 2-4i was nice but then dropped again, waited till 6week but never picked up sad so increased. I'm loosing hope that this med will work seen as 50mg failed. One day in anxiety hell, next crying depressed then OK ish. I'm all over the place. My chest hurts too but I'm trying to just blame the anxiety
    • Posted

I think it might be because you havnt been a dose long enough to settle in your system. 100mg or 150mg is usually a very beneficial dose, so give this dose at least 6-12 weeks before upping or changing I would say. Have u tried rescue remedy?? It's very good for anxiety. Look online at the reveiws and it only costs a few pounds. I carry it in my bag all the time just incase x
    • Posted

I was getting no where on the 50mg it worked for a bit but then it all came back. Strange! Doctor said the 75mg was just to ease the side effects so after two weeks of it to go to 100mg. I'm sick of feeling this way other nothing at all just a crippling anxious state which goes into awful panic. I can't do much andvifvibdo its no fun. I want me back I want my husband and children to have me and to care for them (heartbreaking) x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.