For anyone starting sertraline....... Hang in there! It does work!!!!!!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I have previously posted, but not for a while as like many others, when u feel better u don't use forums anymore. I just wanted to let others know that r on or just starting sertraline to hang in there. I know it's hard and u will feel worse before it gets better, but the good days will come. To get me through the rough crippling anxiety start up days I used rescue remedy alongside starting on 50mg sertraline. I highly recommend it. Also to keep busy with a hobby ( I learnt how to knit on YouTube ) and doing lots of puzzles ie word searches and suduko and reading magazines. Anything just to pass time and keep my racing thoughts at bay. I started on 50mg and took them for 8 weeks, then went to the doc for my review but I was still feeling abit anxious so she upped me to 100 mg ( which I didn't want to do as wanted to give it more time ) but I took her advice and took the upped dose of 100mg. I did have some start up side effects again but they were mild, nothing like the first time side effects. Anyway I have now been taking the upped dose of 100mg for 11 weeks now and I feel really good. Just like my old self!!! So for anyone starting or still in the early stages of taking sertraline, hang in there and take everyday as it comes. U survived yesterday and your still here!!!!! Think positive, keep yourself busy, try to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone, even if it's just washing up!!! Good luck to everyone who reads this. U will get better!!!!! X

13 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi have just started takin Setraline 4th day and am totally overwhelmed - the anxiety and sickness is awful. I saw this site and saw all the positive words that yu wrote and i thank you for that- i hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel  x
    • Posted

Trust me, it will get better. It will be so up and down for the first few weeks but the side effects should go within 1-3 weeks. I know it's hard and u might feel like stopping taking them but if u can persevere through the first few weeks then u will be on your way to feeling u again. I used rescue remedy to get me through the anxious days and it really helped xx
  • Posted

Thanks for the encouragement.  I was on Sertraline for years and recently weened myself off, and was fine initially.  Unfortunately the feelings of anxiety have crept up again and I started back on Sertraline 50mg last week.  Not feeling any better, but I know it can take 2 -4 weeks.  As my therapist pointed out, I'm stressing myself out putting a "time" on my recovery, but just want back to "normal".  It's such a comfort to find a Forum like this and know I'm not alone in my struggles.  Also thanks for the recommendation of Rescue Remedy, I'm going to try that meantime and hopefully won't be long until I'm back on track.
  • Posted

Hi I read your old post did SERTRALINE evrntually work for you I was at 25 mg 2 weeks now 37.5 for a week dr wants me at 100 I already feel like I'm going insane my panic is 10 times worse and I feel hopeless like I'm going to feel this way or EORSE as the doses go up ... I keep fading in and out of normalcy... I'll feel looney tunes then normal ..... I feel speedy racing mind...... Is this normal to feel like this when starting ??? Was it for you? To be fair I have bad anxiety but it's off the charts especially when I wake up for a few hours like super super bad .... Is this normal ?
  • Posted

Thanks for the encouraging words I hope to god this will begin to work im now just finished week 3 and little to no chane apart from one day i felt good think it was like the 3rd day in which is weird hopefully its a taste of things to come iv been like this for a year without realising it was anxiety and depression, just want my life back
    • Posted

Hi ranger 

How r u feeling now? I know it’s been over a year but curious to see if sertraline worked for you. It’s always worked for me in the past but this time around it’s taking much longer. Ive been on 200mg for three weeks and not sure if I’m feeling better. Sometimes I feel like nothing has even changed. 

• Posted

Hi Vikki , it's so hard getting through these days when you are climbing the wall with all these awful feelings . I'm on sertraline 150mg from Tuesday this week and I'm praying these work for me . I get so frightened inside that I won't b myself again . 

• Posted

Hi Julie, how long have you been on sertraline?? And how long have you waited between upping doses. It took me a good 12-16 weeks to notice any change. I started on 50mg then upped to 100 mg and am now on 75mg. I lowered in my own time and have now been on 75mg for 6 months so will go down to 50mg soon and stay on that dose for another 6 months. I am taking as long as I have been on them to come off them x
  • Posted

Hi Vikki I did read ur post it's so reassuring for me , for those of us at the worse time of all this are so frightened I can't see past this at the moment but at wat week if possible did you start to feel like normal again? 

• Posted

If i
    • Posted

hi julie, i know it is very difficult for you at the moment.   sertraline needs some time to settle in and work effectively on you, and then you will start to feel better

it varies from person to person regarding how long sertraline takes to work.  many people find relief early on in the treatment though, so don't worry there is a good chance you wont have to wait too long to feel better again.

so keep going and try to do things to take your mind off of yourself, eg. cleaning the house etc as that is good exercise, or taking some walks.   and also of course keep regularly in touch with your doctor

• Posted

Hello Vikki, this is amazing

I am currently on my sertraline journey. How are you now?

• Posted

Hey Taylor, I am great compared to what I was like. I have ups and low, but that is normal in anyone's life. I wish you well on your journey and remember to just stay positive x

• Posted

Hi all,

I nothis post is old but just wondered if anyone is able to give advice still?

I was on 100mg of sertraline for around 3 years my doctor then lowered the dose to 50mg about 18 months as I was feeling great. 

Since Xmas my anxiety has returned leaving me unable to work and having to increase my meds back up to 100mg 3 weeks ago, under the advisory of my gp. 

I’m not feeling the full benefits and wondered if it will still work the same as it did before when I was taking 100mg? 

Any advice is greatly appritiated 😊

• Posted

Hey Claire. Yes I think you should still have the same benefits. I was on 100mg and lowered to 75 then to 50 over a period of time, which I have stayed at 50 for roughly 18 months but like you the anxiety hit back due to stress so I have upped to 75 again. Have you had any side effects of upping, as I have not x
    • Posted

Hi Vikki, yes I’ve had increased anxiety, stomach ache, racing thoughts all the usual. I just thought that already being on 50mg for a few years it would of worked by now upping to 100mg, but after reading these forums I think most people have to build up again whether they’ve bin on sertraline before or not. I’m just over 3 weeks now on this dose so I’m just going to stick at it and hope for the best. 

Hope your feeling well? X

• Posted

Hi Claire. It is probably where you have doubled your dose from 50 to 100, as it I saw quite a big increase and you were settled on 50 for so long. It will get easier soon as you know, as you have been on them th3 same amoun5 of time as me so at least we know that they work x
    • Posted

Hey Vikki, thank you for your advice it helps. I’m in a weird sort of state today feel like I should be anxious and panicky but I’m not, almost like it’s waiting to sneak up on me when I’m not thinking about it. I’ve had this before I don’t like it but I’ll keep going!

It’s still early days 3 and 1/2 weeks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.