For anyone starting sertraline....... Hang in there! It does work!!!!!!

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I have previously posted, but not for a while as like many others, when u feel better u don't use forums anymore. I just wanted to let others know that r on or just starting sertraline to hang in there. I know it's hard and u will feel worse before it gets better, but the good days will come. To get me through the rough crippling anxiety start up days I used rescue remedy alongside starting on 50mg sertraline. I highly recommend it. Also to keep busy with a hobby ( I learnt how to knit on YouTube ) and doing lots of puzzles ie word searches and suduko and reading magazines. Anything just to pass time and keep my racing thoughts at bay. I started on 50mg and took them for 8 weeks, then went to the doc for my review but I was still feeling abit anxious so she upped me to 100 mg ( which I didn't want to do as wanted to give it more time ) but I took her advice and took the upped dose of 100mg. I did have some start up side effects again but they were mild, nothing like the first time side effects. Anyway I have now been taking the upped dose of 100mg for 11 weeks now and I feel really good. Just like my old self!!! So for anyone starting or still in the early stages of taking sertraline, hang in there and take everyday as it comes. U survived yesterday and your still here!!!!! Think positive, keep yourself busy, try to challenge yourself out of your comfort zone, even if it's just washing up!!! Good luck to everyone who reads this. U will get better!!!!! X

13 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vikki, Can I just ask a personal question, how is your sex life, mine has taken a nose dive after starting on this medication xx
    • Posted

Yes I totally went off it. To be honest it’s still not great now and that’s nearly 4 years on sertraline. It is one of the side effects unfortunately x
  • Posted

Hi ...I just started Zoloft a little over a week ago at 100mg (I was on Paxil for 18 years and recently tried to go up on it w my Dr and had an anxiety attack that has left me not working and barely eating)....we weaned off the Paxil and introduced Zoloft at 25 mg then 50 mg and now 100mg....I take Ativan to help w sleep bit when I wake up in the morning, its like panic and scariness all over again....I teally do hope I can get back to myself but nervousALL the time....guess I am impatient w the process ....just need some encouragement
  • Posted

Hi Vikki,

Reading your post has helped tremendously. I’ve been on Zoloft for 2 days so not long but nervous about it not working. I overthink everything and I’m so nervous about normal day to day things like driving and getting lost. I pray this helps me - I’m exhausted. It’s depressing and taking over my life really. I never knew anxiety was real .... boy was I wrong. Anything you can offer to help me get through this would be so appreciated. God bless and thank you. 

• Posted

Hi Gigi

I too found Vikki’s post so reassuring. I have been prescribed Sertraline (Zoloft) but have yet to pick up the script. I also overthink everything, and wanted to share some of the things I do to help settle the anxiety - I have suffered for over 12 months from severe anxiety and panic symptoms with a recent medicine reaction sending my into daily anxiety and panics (fear of being left alone, unable to drive, pounding heart, full head feeling, difficulty taking a full breath, sweats, waking up in a panic, tingling in arms and numbness) the list goes on. I have been seeing a psychologist, which is helping me to understand my triggers, but it’s very hard some sessions when I have ‘white noise’ in my head. Routine is really important and to remember that you are stronger than anxiety, and you will be your normal self again - be kind to yourself is really important. Each night I physically write down my plan for the next day of what I am doing (helps to stop the cycle of uncertainty in my head). As fearful as I get, a short walk out in the fresh air also helps, if anything it’s a good distraction and it’s not a marathon, just a gentle constant walk - and I put on my headphones with some soothing anxiety music - the ‘calm’ app available on the App Store for iPhone or Android version has some great music to help your mind to rest and you don’t have to subscribe to access these tracks. There are also some great sleep stories. I subscribed to access the anxiety meditations (I’m not normally into this stuff, but it helps). Also as Vikki has said, a hobbie or doing other things that require focus really help - reading engaging books, colouring in, knitting, watching funny movies, laughter is also important. Also there are a lot of foods that help relieve anxiety that I’ve found really helpful and healthy - I eat a whole ripe banana 30 minutes before bed, it has tryptophan which helps you relax and also regulates serotonin. Magnesium rich foods or supplements have also helped me, and Almonds or Walnuts are another healthy Anxiety snack, and rescue remedy can also ease symptoms. Even chewing sugar free gum has helped me with bouts of anxiety. I am pursuing Psychology with the option to start taking Sertraline if my brain isn’t calming down, but I do have a script and use a very low dose of Clonazepam .125mg as needed if I have a panic or severe anxiety, I’m only small at 53kg, so for me that dose really helps take the edge off severe attacks, and helps my brain and my body feel normal again. At the height of my medicine reaction I couldn’t have anything that metabolised in the liver so once my liver tests were back in range, I was left an absolute anxious and panic wreck. I took my Clonazepam.125mg morning and night for one week, as I was at breaking point, and it got me back down to coping stage again. So do keep in touch with your Sertraline journey Gigi, and I hope some of the tips I’ve shared give you some more things to try alongside. Wishing you much love, laughter and a return to your strong self! Take each day as it comes and be kind to yourself, look towards the sunshine and smile at the warmth on your face, and if in doubt if your brain is feeling overwhelmed, write this trick down and then name out loud  5 things you can see, 4 things that are blue, 3 farm animals , 2 things you can smell, and one thing you can feel (mix it up each time, but it’s a great exercise to get your brain to shift focus and by the end you’ll notice anxiety symptoms have gone - or get someone to play eye spy, my partner helps me by playing this game with me when I’m feeling anxious). Take care and glad I found this amazing thread - Thanks also Vikki, if I do need to take Sertraline, I feel reassured I’ll be fine taking it, knowing what to expect takes the uncertainty away for me ??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.