For the Ladies on antidepressants to manage peri question...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Now I know hormones are the root cause and ADs will nit fix that.  That being said have any of you ladies been able to just take your antidepressant alone to manage your symptoms?  How long did they work for you.  How long have you been on them?  

Please respond too if you take an AD in conjunction with hormones, hrt, bcp, etc.  

I take an AD, it took a few weeks, but it is working ok.  Seeing if I can just ride out peri hell on AD alone.  

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for asking this. I’m eager to see replies too. My doctor prescribed Lexapro and I still haven’t started it. I’m trying to manage with diet, sleep & exercise...and reducing stress load. It’s been a hard week though and I’m giving it more thought. My most troubling symptom is anxiety

• Posted

Hi Teri, I’m on Lexapro too.  Took me almost a year to take it.  I had terrible health anxiety due to my crazy hormones after stopping bcp use.  It has made things more tolerable.  I Was so bad with anxiety symptoms, I hadn’t left the house or driven because I would get so dizzy.  

...I can feel the hormone dips still...but overall having better days. 😊

• Posted

Thank you! That’s very helpful. I took BCP for years. Stopped early on in peri because I thought they were the cause of my worsening anxiety and PMS. It did improve when I went off the pill. Anxiety came back with a vengeance at my 12 month mark without a period. Almost to the day! 
    • Posted

That’s exactly what it feels like btw - a hormone dip. I can tell even by the way I look on those days. Everything is just a bit dull. Brain fog and major health anxiety. 
  • Posted

I'm taking the antidepressant Trazodone. It's a SNRI not a SSRI. Sometimes the occasional Valium for the really rough patches. I do exercise, drink plenty of water, and take a good multivitamin.

• Posted

I began taking AD about 11 years ago for depression and anxiety. That helped for a couple of years, then I began a downward spiral during which I tried herbal remedies and major lifestyle changes such as weight lifting, exercising, off sugar for over 4 years, etc.I was in excellent physical condition, but mentally I was a mess! I was afraid of bhrt, but about 2 years ago I decided I couldn't live like this any more.  Now, in addition to my AD, I'm also on bhrt. (Estrone 2mg. and Prometrium 200 mg) I am much, much better but still have my dark days. I hope that one day I won't need any meds, but for now I have to in order to care for my family and maintain any quality of life. Good luck, I hope you are able to manage well enough on just the AD!

• Posted

I'm just on lexapro 5mg. Once my anxiety and panic attacks were under control i can now deal with other symptoms. It's is a lot more bearable and I'm able to cope . I have a lot more good days. I'm 50 and still having periods. Bleh so far though just being on ad is helping a lot. I've been on them for 7 months now.

• Posted

Hi Cyndi, that’s encouraging!  I have to see my dr for a follow up.  I was going to talk about trying to get on some hormones, but now I’m having second thoughts.  Just found out somebody i know in her 30s has stage 4 breast cancer...i do not know the circumstances behind it.  But, now that’s on my mind.  Also, my dad died of heart attack at 42, so there’s that family history.  I am 41 and hoping i can just ride this out on the AD.  I Know I’ll still have some tough days.   Risks with everything!  
    • Posted

Hi Cindi- did you have anxiety and panic attacks before peri started?

this has been the worst symptom for me.......

• Posted

Hi Lou im on Sertraline A/D but i have been on these for 14 yrs .

I think if i hadnt been on them my perimenopause would have been worse . I am not allowed to go on HRT as my mum passed away having breast cancer . I still get all the sweats and aches and pains .

• Posted

Thanks kim,  did you ever experience fatigue?  That’s my worst peri symptom.  Did your AD help.  Some days, I’m not sure if the lexapro is making it worse.  Just finished the 6 week mark...maybe it will get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.