For Those Who Have Thawed...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello FS Forum Friends:

Whether you thawed naturally or with surgery, how close have you come to having fully normal shoulder(s) again? 

I'm at about 85% ROM. It feels amazing, and I hardly think about my FS anymore except when reaching for something in deep cupboard. My latest exercise from PT is to 'arm wrestle', and I know there are still things I can do to aim for 100%. I see PT on an as-needed basis now. 

I guess I'm just curious and excited to be seeing the finish line smile Would love to hear your experiences at the end of FS!!

Liane 

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had it in my left shoulder from 2011 through 2014. Do this day scar tissue continues to break up, but I have to push it extremely hard to start feeling occasional minor pain. My range is about 99% and still continues to improve. Unfortunately for me I'm about a year into my second bout with this condition. This time it's in my right shoulder. Both cases were not treated with anything but time. I wish you a speedy recovery, Mike.

• Posted

"To this day".

• Posted

Thank you, Mike. I like the 99% part! smile I also lean toward time and natural healing, after many wee night hours reading other people's experiences on this forum when I couldn't sleep.

I felt my other shoulder having symptoms earlier this spring and had guided cortisone & some gentle PT for it right away. So far so good; that seems to have halted the second process. 

Speedy recovery to you too.

Liane

• Posted

Mine started with arthritis of the A-C joint (the small joint of the shoulder), labral tears (a rubber like ring of tissue around the socket of the joint), causing frozen shoulder. Also the scar tissue fromed a thickening of the joint lining) and biceps tendon tears.

Xiaflex injections is used to break up the collagen in scar tissue and the collagen built up in the joint lining. Xiaflex is a protien only breaks down collagen.

a few days later back in the dr office for arm manipulation, RX for Physio and 8 months later have full rage of Motion Except when I Reach behind my lower back TO FAR. Still taking it slow not over using my arm as another tear or injury can accelerate the FS. 

• Posted

Full range (pretty much)! Even with all you've been through, it's so good to hear. smile

Thank you,

Liane

• Posted

65-70%. Will be at one year anniversary next month. First Cort shot did nothing, 2nd was X-ray guided and improved ROM by about 20% to where I am now.
    • Posted

Hi Tara: You sound about where I was four months ago. My first cortisone was discounted because it was ineffective; the second was guided & helpful; the third,  three months later, was really the most effective on the thawing side. And I got one at the same time to prevent what seemed to be a developing FS on the left. 

All the best as you finish thawing smile

Liane

• Posted

Hi Liane; I think we have spoken before. I am a year into frozen shoulder snd I am thrilled to report that I have thawed and I would say I have around 98% ROM; I still can't quite get my arm behind my back to do my bra up but that is a minor issue for the immense relief from pain I now feel.

I do not go to a physio as lost all faith in them right at the beginning. I have ; however started yoga which I feel has helped. I had one cortisone injection which did nothing to ease the discomfort. Apart from that I tried to stick to more self help methods like heat; TENS and massage.

Glad to hear you are also pain free and you are managing to keep this dreadful thing out of your other arm; I have had the odd twinge in my non affected arm but so far so good.

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Cindy - yes, I think we've been on this FS forum around the same amount of time because we talked about the shrug. I still have a wee bit of shrug, but it's such a blessing that the end is in sight. I gave up on physio last fall in the thick of freezing. My first cortisone didn't work, but my nice gentle PT explained that cortisone given into thick/inflamed tissue & without guidance likely isn't going to be effective. She also didn't believe in aggressive PT, but has been effective with retraining my shoulder, posterior glide stretches, etc. And she was supportive of guided cortisone in moderation. 

I don't use TENS anymore, but heat & massage are still comforting. Immense relief for sure smile 

Thanks for the update! Liane

• Posted

It's a year for me now and three months since I did mua. I have about 75% rom back. I am no where near being able to reach back far enough to do my bra but have almost 100% in all other directions. My pain doing daily activities is almost down to nothing. Best of all I can sleep in my stomach again.

• Posted

Hi Jull:  It's great to hear from others nearing the finish line! It seems that we all have to run the race to get our sleep & ROM back & painfree days, with or without MUA. I certainly contemplated it. Thank you for the update & I hope you do well getting that final bit of ROM again in the months ahead smile Liane

• Posted

Natural healing for two frozen shoulders. 100% ROM. Tried PT for first one but was too painful and did appear to speed up process. They both took around 18 months for all pain twinges to be gone and 24 months for full range. Now have a frozen hip which is worse than the shoulders because of mobility.
    • Posted

A sorry meant to write "did NOT appear to speed up process".

• Posted

How did you know you had frozen or how does it start I don't know if mine is bursitis or starting frozen shoulder I have aches in both but my left one I get this warm sensation sometimes but goes away the right one gives me the blues just curious doc says bursitis but at times I feel like it's worse thank you for responding

• Posted

Arghh. I'm so sorry you're going through a frozen hip. cry I remember someone asking about that on the forum, and thought how awful that would be - maybe it was you.

Super encouraged to hear you got 100% ROM in your shoulders the natural route, since that is my choice too (along with gentle PT & I had some cortisone). This forum has been a Godsend - I first found it last fall after having several horrible weeks of PT, and you're right, that kind of PT did not help the process. This forum sure has helped though!

Wishing you the best as you heal, Liane.

• Posted

Hi Monique. My shoulder got continuously worse rather than better, and it lost almost the full ROM in just a matter of weeks. I had had gentle physio on it at first, which kept the pain at bay, but I could still feel it thickening in the joint. As the pain progressed, I tried to rescue my shoulder using aggressive PT; wrong decision for me - it just got much worse. That's when I first heard the term Frozen Shoulder & found this forum and lots more help & suggestions.

All the best as you sort things through,

Liane 

• Posted

For the first one I didn't until everything else was ruled out. For the second one I knew right away. It also runs in my family; both my brothers , my sister and an aunt have had at least one each. I had bursitis when I was quite young, the pain was different for me; it was a gnawing pain as opposed to the acute pain from movement with frozen joint. For bursitis, a cortisone shot worked very well.

• Posted

thank you for the encouragement. The hip is different than the shoulders, maybe because it is harder to rest.
    • Posted

Finally I heard someone with frozen hip.

After 4 years with mine I just had capsular release almost 4 months ago. Id being in terrible awful pain for 4 years. Im joping this surgery will help me. Any doctor wanted to believe me that I had caspulits of the hip, they kept telling me didnt exist or almost not existent.

Finally one listen and now Im recovering after capsular release surgery.

Im still in a lot of pain and not.much of range of motion, feels a little loser then before do.

Im doing physio once a week and daiky here at home besides walking around swimming pool and hut tub in a daily basis.

Nothing big so far but Im hopeful that slowly I will get better.

Please let me know if you had any surgeries and how your hip os developing. Is terrible in the shoulder but I think is worst in the hip since you have to walk on your hip anywhere.

Im not able to walk without a cane and a walker. Im just hopefull that this sirgery will work.

Thanks and manny blessings to you.!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.