For Those Who Have Thawed...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello FS Forum Friends:

Whether you thawed naturally or with surgery, how close have you come to having fully normal shoulder(s) again? 

I'm at about 85% ROM. It feels amazing, and I hardly think about my FS anymore except when reaching for something in deep cupboard. My latest exercise from PT is to 'arm wrestle', and I know there are still things I can do to aim for 100%. I see PT on an as-needed basis now. 

I guess I'm just curious and excited to be seeing the finish line smile Would love to hear your experiences at the end of FS!!

Liane 

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Xiaflex  injection and physio helped me. 
    • Posted

Hi Hope! I looked into xiaflex last fall, excited to ask my doctor about it, but it isn't indicated in Canada (yet) for FS. It seems to have potential, and glad to hear it helped. Are you back to 100% ROM? 

Liane

• Posted

Hi Liane,  , Xiaflex is a simple protien that can release FS. IT has helped many and I hope it is approved in your area soon.

call the manufacturer and ask when it will be approved in Canada and if there is a clinical study you can be accepted for clinical study for approval.

it has been approved in many other European countries and Japan for FS.

IM sure it's just a matter of time. In the mean time wear a shoulder sleeve stretch type while you sleep and ask about other shots approved for pain.

i will keep my fingers crossed that Xiaplex will be available in Canada soon.

• Posted

Thank you, Hope4cure. I don't have pain anymore; so thankful to be almost at the end of FS. 

I did write to Health Canada (drug regulation) about Xiaflex, and in their roundabout way they said it's only approved here for Dupuytren's contractures. Sounds promising!

• Posted

Thawing took 3 years for me, but did not have full ROM until I got acupuncture. The FS had many negative consequences to be neck & back. Acuouncture helped ALL of it.

It also helped prevented the other shoulder from freezing. Maybe it would have been milder on it's own; don't know, but I took no chances.

• Posted

Thanks, Beverly...though three years to thaw sounds like a long road you were on. What's interesting is that in the last couple months, my PT has been working more on stretching, massaging, & exercising my upper back & neck, and that's helped me make the most progress lately. It's all thrown out of whack with a FS. I'm totally with you on not taking chances with a full blown FS on the second side. Was glad my doc agreed to guided cortisone in it at the first sign of FS pain - that, along with the upper back/neck attention seems to have worked.

• Posted

FS, the whole experience took on the feeling of forever. I actually began to believe that I would be somewhat impaired for life. There were no injections or massages & stretching offered by any PT people. But to be honest I stopped going as moving was so painful initially that I gave up. They did try tens and possibly heat. After thawing I had residual problems and one PT t used ice packs after sessions. Typically I hate cold like that, but it did seem to lessen the inflammation.

Most people don't mention what country they are in. I'm in the US. Possibly they don't have much of a proactive approach to it here? Other than operating by the orthopdic surgeon, nothing else was suggested other than waiting for it to thaw. 

• Posted

My PT said it's really important to keep talking nicely to my shoulder. (Okay, that sounds a little out there rolleyes but her point is that the tapes we play in our heads can somehow affect the outcome.) So as I thawed - from not even being able to get my thumb to reach my tailbone - inch by inch being able to touch further up my back - I kept cheering my shoulder on.

I totally get that notion of forever impairment & I hang on to the hope of a complete thaw...almost there!

I'm in Canada, and I think I would have been in the dark about FS if it hadn't been for this Godsend of a forum from the UK & journal articles. It was the best way to learn how to speak to the health care workers & get the care plan I felt was best for me.

• Posted

FS as I think back I did go to massage therapists on my own. Acupressure massage was particularly effective but the relieft wouldn't last. That's why I decided to go with the actual acupuncture and it was the right choice for me. But this was already years after the thawing and it was for the residual problems. In the practioner's words, my "chi was stuck". Something sure was! I'm just very happy I can move normally. There seem to be so many more options for treatment now while people have it which is great. I'm sure that will mean fewer residual problems.

• Posted

Hello,

I just wanted to write too, that slowly but surely the end is in sight for me.  I am 43 and went to see the doctor at the end of March because I had shoulder pain when I slept and I was losing range of motion.  This has been a very painful experience.  It's only been the last month that I have been sleeping better and regaining function.  I got one cortisone shot at the beginning, didn't help too much.  I went to one physical therapist but they did not do what the doctor prescribed so they were not helpful.  This last physical therapist started with ultrasound and heat and exercises.  Once the inflammation went down the improvement has been good.

Some of the pain I experienced was breathtaking.  I also had nerve pain down my arm and on top of my hand.

It is so good to start feeling better.  It's been about six months.  I just wanted to write because I think so often on the internet only the people that are injured have time to write and the cured people go off and live their lives.  It does get better...but holy moly it takes a long time.  Very unfortunately patience is required.  Good luck to everyone.

• Posted

Hi Angela: Thanks for writing, and I'm glad you're on the getting-better side of FS!  I found it was all I could do just to read the forum posts while I had so much pain; I didn't start chiming in until I was starting to feel better. Some of the most encouraging posts I read in those months were the ones that talked about FS being self-limiting, thawing, their progressive return of ROM, the "light at the end of the tunnel", and others like yours that gave me hope.

Wishing you continued improvement!

Liane

• Posted

Yes, I agree, I would lurk and read some of the other people's posts when it really hurt.  Not being able to sleep well really puts a damper on things, too.

My physical therapist did passive range of motion exercises.  It does not feel good when she is doing it but it is stretching it out.

For months, the first thing I would want in the morning is a heat pack, but I can wake up now and it is not the first thing on my mind.  I still have a little pain but I am getting more function back- that makes me happy!

• Posted

Have you tried dry needling or acupuncture? Is Xiaflex available?
    • Posted

I have not tried dry needling or acupuncture.  I have a friend who did have some acupuncture and she saw improvement.  (I have had dry needling done on a piriformis injury a few years ago).

Heat, ice, physical therapy and patience.  My shoulder was so inflamed for so long.  At first my doctor prescribed a bunch of tylenol or aleve but my stomach couldn't handle it.  Oh, and at home I did try some TENS and I did get a few massages and I tried the Active Release Technique - but I stopped that until the inflammation went down.

• Posted

My right shoulder started sometime late spring/early summer last year and was at it's worst by about September.  I had hydrodilatation in December which was very successful in stopping the pain.  Regaining my ROM has been more gradual but I'm now 95% there and the remaining little bit isn't stopping me from doing anything.  I had some physio before my hydrodilatation which didn't help and seemed to make things worse.  After the procedure I had one session and the therapist then suggested I do gentle excercises at home - which I did when I remembered -I have to admit I've not been entirely regular with these!  

I was more inclined to take things naturally but twinges in my good shoulder made me consider the hydrodilatation - to me, the least invasive of the possible treatments - as I didn't fancy 2 frozen shoulders.  Thankfully, my other shoulder hasn't developed, despite the occasional twinge and I hope it never freezes.  I started my frozen shoulder whilst trying to wean myself off Estrogen only HRT and swear that after I restarted it, that also speeded up recovery and I suspect may have staved off problems with the other shoulder. It may have been co-incidental but I'm personally convinced!  Glad to hear that many others are also recovered - this must give hope to those still in the depth of this awful condition.  Thanks to all on this forum who gave me much more helpful advice than most of the medical profession!

• Posted

Hi Maria:  I've appreciated your posts over the months smile You're on pretty much the same timeline as me with a right FS and taking things more naturally. With hope & that 'one-armed forum hug' for all still suffering, Liane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.