Forced off HRT at 60?

Posted , 117 users are following.

I've been on HRT, very happily, since my menopause at 45 (I'm now 67).  My doctor is really pressing me now to come off it.  Personally, I believe in 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?'.   I am (as far as I know!) in very good health:  I walk for over an hour a day, work out, eat extremely well, don't smoke, am not overweight, I'm still working part-time, I don't have any cancer history in my family and feel full of energy and bonhomie!   The risks relating to HRT and breast cancer are now proved to be unfounded and anyway there is no breast cancer in my family.  The risk, apparently, that rises after 60 on HRT is stroke.  However, doctors also say that you are 43% less likely to have a stroke if you exercise an hour every day, which I do.  So, is it not reasonable to say that as long as I am low risk, and as long as I feel great on HRT, why come off it?  My age group are all one big experiment anyway and in America I know women can be on it till they drop.  The question is: can my doctor force me to give HRT up?

26 likes, 445 replies

445 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I don't know if your doctor can force you to come off . Mine just advises me to try and come off very slowly.I am 62 and have been happily and healthy on HRT Evorel Conti patches for 12 years.

When I first when on it I had a fibroid removed and at that time reduced my dose by half and have stayed on that since with no problems.I have tried to come off twice before as it isn't recommended you stay on too long but I think sleep is very important to good health and well being and when ever I try to come off I wake up hot in the early hours and then feel tired all the next day.

I am still trying to work out whether the benefits out weigh the risks ?Also how long it will take my body to balance my hormones without the HRT.

• Posted

I suppose the ball is in the GP's court. He can force you to come off HRT by refusing to prescribe any more.
    • Posted

That's right--no more prescriptions--and you are S.O.L. You can beg, give reasons-etc etc-and she don't care if you go cold turkey! That happened to me! You are lucky if you're over 60 and your doc still lets you take estrogen. I see stuff on the internet-and don't know what to buy-as its named differently-or what dose to take...I was use to taking premarin 0.625 mg-I wouldn't mind now taking 1/2 of that amount. Any advice- suggestions?

• Posted

no the problem is my doc won't give me hrt. i was on it after a hysterectomy till i was 55 then it was stopped, now i am 62 and if anything the symptoms are getting worse, i went on here to see if any other ladies were having the same problems with their gp who won't prescribe it and have had lots of help getting advice from others, makes me a little better knowing there are others in their 60s as i kept thinking it was just me

• Posted

The same thing happened to me. After 18 yers of being on HRT (Activella) my Gyn told me at my annual exam I had to come off because I was too Old. I'm 67. Nocancer in my family and I exercise and feel great on the HRT. I have been off for two mothe now and having hot flashes and waking up several time at night. Not sure what to do. I have tried several "natural" remedies and they just dont work for me. If anyone knows of a solution please respond.

• Posted

Hallo Laura.  I can only say that I got some help by insisting on seeing a doctor and telling them exactly how bad things were, especially not sleeping.  Don't hold back.  I was feeling depressed and said so.  It's more costly to give you pills and further treatment for depression than it is to give you HRT.  I have now got an oestrogen patch, which is HRT so will see how I go.   Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Laura, i had to come off HRT as needed to have a procedure, was off them 10 weeks, My results were all fine! I felt great on HRT INDIVINA, My symptoms came back, my Dr reluctantly gave me Premique low dose. I feel worse now. am going bk to see my GP I need to be able to function as before. I have been on HRT for seven years,. My Dr goes on about the risks of taking them?
    • Posted

Hi Jane, I too am 62 and have been on HRT since 48. I take Premique and absolutely love it. I started on the normal dose and now take the lower dose. I’ve tried coming off it twice, once about 10 years ago then again about two years ago and my symptoms were utterly horrendous. I’m very lucky as I’ve suffered no adverse symptoms from being on HRT - only that I feel great and everyone remarks on how good I look, my skin, etc. I’m never, ever, ever coming off the HRT. I think it’s barbaric the way these doctors treat their patients telling them they can’t have it because of their age, or whatever etc. obviously one cannot be too careful and if they’re suffering from adverse symptoms then of course they cannot continue- in which case must be hell - as do these doctors offer an alternative?!
    • Posted

Hi Rayner. I was on Premerin atthe same dosage as yoy. I am now 71

I have just started the patches and have to change them tuesday and friday so far I feel okay and waiting for a repeat prescription.

Marea

• Posted

Hi Lily, it was great to read your post, as I had my usual traumatic visit to a locum Dr today trying to explain why I wanted/needed my HRT. I'm 61,full hysterectomy, 20+ yrs ago, on Zumenon from day 1, and I love it!. However, I've had to beg, convince and plead with various 'professionals' to continue receiving HRT. It's very tiring, as there appears to be no consensus on this matter, with some young women being the worst to deal with, but their day may come!!! I will continue to ask to be treated as an individual who places quality of my current life over possible quantity of life to come.

• Posted

I couldnt agree more.  I left the UK having been on HRT for many years. I tried to come off the Tibolone before I left the UK but with terrible results to my health.  I therefore continued to buy my own, but eventually the country I am in decided to stop selling them over the counter I have and still are sourcing SERM s called Evista from abroad as I cannot bear the thought of the consequences of coming off totally. I am now 70 and very fit and healthy and like you exercise a lot.
  • Posted

Hi. This is such a bad situation to be in. I have been warned by my Doctor not to buy on line. Have you had any problems or feel different with the ones you buy? My doctor come out with  "if I get something wrong with me that was caused by taking HRT from her she could be suedby me" Can you believe it! 

I know women that are younger than me who have lots of problems with there health not half as fit as me and look older. They have never taken HRT. If it's good enough for joan Collins and the queen mother it's good enough for me. Look how great joan looks in her eighties and the queen mum lived to a great age.

These doctors are quick to put you on them. I never wanted to go on them in the first place.

• Posted

And conversely, can we sue the dr for allowing our health to disintegrate, suffer heart disease, osteoporosis, and other, including relationships disintegrate to the point of divorce, becoming homeless, financially deserted, being found at the bottom of a cliff, because they would not prescribe hrt which would prevent all that happening.

• Posted

hi there thanks for your input, I'm with you this the benefits of HRT outway the risks in my opinion,the divorce rate will be going threw the roof and the bottom line is we have been told the risks, smokers get patches, junkies get methadone, alcoholics get pills the obese get diet pills or gastric bands all these things are self inflicted we have done nothing to cause the menapause but can't choose to get HRT to make our lives better, its just not right

• Posted

My Dr wouldn't prescribe Premarin any longer as she said I had been on it too long (about10 years). Since then I have gone from having a great life and fantastic sleep quality to not sleeping or poor sleep quality, hot flashes, memory problems etc. i have never smoked, don't drink alcohol, am in the normal weight range, eat healthily, reasonable exercise, no family history of cancer, blood pressure avg 120 over 80, cholesterol average results. The only medication I take is for hypothyroidism.

When I went back to ask for HRT again, I was offered medication for epilepsy as the side effects were shown to reduce hot flashes, to which I said no. I was also offered depression medication, and other medications and said "why can't I just have HRT again" and she refused. Now, 2 years later, a gynaecologist has just prescibed Estradiol patches. I have had to have a Fenton's procedure and had been using Ovestin twice a week which doesn't seem to help.

My point is that I wish I had just kept insisting on having HRT and changed my doctor when they refused.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.