Forced off HRT at 60?

Posted , 117 users are following.

I've been on HRT, very happily, since my menopause at 45 (I'm now 67).  My doctor is really pressing me now to come off it.  Personally, I believe in 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?'.   I am (as far as I know!) in very good health:  I walk for over an hour a day, work out, eat extremely well, don't smoke, am not overweight, I'm still working part-time, I don't have any cancer history in my family and feel full of energy and bonhomie!   The risks relating to HRT and breast cancer are now proved to be unfounded and anyway there is no breast cancer in my family.  The risk, apparently, that rises after 60 on HRT is stroke.  However, doctors also say that you are 43% less likely to have a stroke if you exercise an hour every day, which I do.  So, is it not reasonable to say that as long as I am low risk, and as long as I feel great on HRT, why come off it?  My age group are all one big experiment anyway and in America I know women can be on it till they drop.  The question is: can my doctor force me to give HRT up?

26 likes, 445 replies

445 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Here we go again having trouble getting my HRT. Have to make an appointment before she will give it to me. I'm fit and healthy strong bones, don't smoke don't dring never eat process foods and walk every day. I only take 1ml aday of easrogen only. I'm 68 and been on HRT for 20 years+ what can I do? I'm not going to go through the menopause at my age. I'm going to have to buy them on line. Does anyone recommend a good on line chemist I can buy them. Has anyone ever bought their HRT on line? I have tried to come off felt so ill and that could go on for years if she refuses to give them to me. She worried I might sue her if I get something wrong with 
    • Posted

Hi Lilliepop, so sorry to hear you're battling again. I've got my annual MOT coming up and dreading it. Basically, I am going to say 'look, my risk of stroke is minimal. I'm far more concerned about the risks of insomnia, amnesia, depression, lack of energy etc.' if I come off. I'm still working or looking after my 4 yr old grandson, and another one due in January, so literally and metaphorically running continuously; my husband's 20 years younger than me; I can't afford to lose sleep or any of the above symptoms, and worse! We 68 year olds aren't sitting around watching daytime TV any more. In addition, practically every bit of 'scary' research turns out to be discredited - think, the HRT/breast cancer scare, fats being bad for you (thank God I never gave up butter and cream and ate those dreadful low fat things), the truth about Statins and how they can affect you (give you diabetes, for God's sake!), also the alcohol unit debacle (one of the committee that designate the units admitted they hadn't really got a clue and plucked figures out of the air).  So, all in all, Mrs Doctor, I think we patients actually have to plough our own furrow through all this misinformation and, as I read that most women who are taken off HRT are soon put back on because they are suffering so much (only to find, sometimes, that even going back on it doesn't solve the symptoms which arise from coming OFF it), I'm just not going to give in and I will sign a waiver letter if necessary promising not to sue if I die of a stroke! biggrin  I suggest you change your doctor - or practice - and see if you can get an older, male one.  There are doctors out there who can actually weight the benefits and risks and if the latter outweigh the former, I reckon you have a case.
    • Posted

Words well spoken, groovygranny! I'm 68 too and feel the same as you. I've been through complete hell the past three years getting back to normal since my doctor cut my estradiol to almost nothing. I'm very close to being completely back and I'm not ever going through that hell again. Patient heal thyself is my new moto. Oh yes... and find another doctor, which I did.

• Posted

thanks for your reply like you i am sick of this but i am still being told no from the doctor although i feel my symptoms are getting worse instead of better im 62 just now and there is no way i am putting up with this crap for how long ????? i just wonder how the young doctors saying no to HRT will react when its their turn to put up with this. where do you live ?  Im in cenral Scotland 
  • Posted

Thanks for reply. I'm really thinking of buying on line it's such a struggle every three months. Been looking for the best place to buy them looking at UK phamacy they have the ones I want but a Drew back. Looking at the reviews on line and some people say they are very good and some say that they had card froud and lost money so don't know what to do now. Would like to tell my Dr to stick her prescriptions where the sun don't shine. I feel you just can't argue with them about it they give you this look like IM THE DR I know best some of them don't know daff all about HRT. You have a very good argument and you put it so eloquent. I also have a good argument. I have a kidney transplant and it's very bad for me to loose so much fluid and also bad for me to have high blood presser and I get both when I try to come off. So that's my next argument. Will let you know how I get on.
    • Posted

like you i am thinking of buying it online but like you have heard bad reports. we should not have to think about getting it online we have paid our national insurance all our lives and can@t get what we need to have a good life
  • Posted

Hello everyone. I just wish GP's would just listen to us the patient. Every woman is different and while I accept HRT is unsuitable for a small minority of women GP's just seem to have made their minds up before we get through the door. If we are well on our HRT then I see no reason why we shouldn't continue. If I have no luck and can't get a repeat prescription in November I will hassle them with every little ailment associated with the menopause!
  • Posted

I had a hysterectomy last year. I have been put on estradiol but the doctors are caustious because I had a heart attack at 42. I am now 45 so they are worried about how long I will have to take hrt. I have read research recently discrediting the connection between hrt and strokes or heart attacks and mentioned this to my gp. He has agreed that as my blood pressure is so low I have postular hypotension there is no need for concern. Also as I am so young quality of life is more important than what ifs. My daughter is a midwife so he is happy that I have my blood pressure taken regularly at home and as long as it doesnt go up I can take the hrt. The heart attack was never explained as I don't drink, smoke, have caffiene.I walk dogs and own horses so have an active lifestyle. I do worry that I may have to be on hrt for longer because of my age but the alternative is unthinkable.
  • Posted

Hi I'm in the same situation as you. I'm 60 I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 40 and went straight onto Evorel 100 patches. I've been perfectly fine and healthy all the time I've been on them. Unfortunately my doctor who I have been with for many years who incidently told me I could stay on it indefinately, has retired. The new doctor as soon as I saw him said I have to stop taking it and it is no longer precribed for me. I have felt totally abandoned and have been searching on line for the right thing to do. Unlike women who have not had hysterectomies I will not produce any hormones at all. I am taking vitamins, calcium, glucosamine and probiotics as well as a good diet of fruit, veg, and fish. I exercise daily and am not over weight in fact for my age I look good. I have been off HRT now for two months and have noticed my energy levels have dropped, my skin is very dry, I now have low back pain which I've never suffered with, my eyes are very dry and my focus is wavering, I'm feeling stiff and although we do get forgetful with age I'm experiencing brain fog and to top it all I'm getting belly fat and my weight seems to be increasing. The more I've read up on estrogen the more it seems that in the long run it's better to stay on it. All the trials they started were all stopped so they can't ascertain whether it is safe or not. Why don't they test women like us that have been on it for a long time. Sooooo... yesterday I'd had enough and I started back on it again, I have to admit I'm very teary today so I'm not sure if it's the estrogen going back in or what  but I'm going to stick with it. You can buy it on line at EuroClinix and don't be put off by the questionaire, they will say that they check it out with their doctor but it usually goes through ok. I'm so glad I found this today I just wish we could do more about it as I'm sure there are many distressed women out there. All I can say is go with your feelings, you know your body.
    • Posted

Hello HappyChic. When I talked to my GP about stopping HRT at some time in the future he told me on no account stop it completely but to reduce it VERY gradually. He did stress that. So by stopping it suddenly will cause side effects. I suppose it's like any drug someone has been taking for a long time.
    • Posted

I did come off it gradually. I cut the patches in half so I stuck with that for a month then I cut it to a quarter and did that for a month and then I put the quarter on only once a week instead of two. I have had mild hot flashes but I was handling it. It's what is happening to me now I don't like and believe me I have been very positive about the whole thing. I just don't feel like me any more. 
    • Posted

I went on Evorel Conti patches 12 years ago and have been great on them and felt like myself .I have tried twice before to come off by cutting patches and now I am undecided whether to come off or not ?

I have half a patch twice a week so it's quite a low dose but when I tried to come off before I couldn't sleep and seemed full of aches and pains and skin became very dry.i also found when  reducing to a 1/4 patch it come off so hard to reduce gradually.

• Posted

Hi, as you can see in my post I started using my patches again on Sunday. I was on Evorel 100 so I thought I’d cut them in half (which takes it to 50) and see if the lower dose would help and by late yesterday afternoon I was feeling so much better. I chose this method in the beginning as it takes it directly into your system as opposed to going through your liver. I’ve never had any problems being on these. I have been watching all the comments and stories and feel so sad that we are in this position. I have done a lot of research on line and still find it confusing, one says it’s ok and another says it isn’t. Even the bioidentical hormone therapy is considered unsafe as plant hormones are being used which is still alien to the body. For me now I’m going to stay on my HRT but make sure I get checked out regularly. If I have to buy it then ok, I’d rather be happy and well than tired, achy, teary and miserable. I do think a positive attitude helps enormously and I tend not to listen to the hype of it all as it screws you up and can have a physiological effect. You can only do what you feel is right for you, unless your doctor has a valid reason for you coming off them. The nice thing with this site is that you are not on your own and it's good to know that.
    • Posted

I agree and so far so good will go for checks and hopefully stay on patches at least till my husband retires as when I don't sleep or become so hot it disturbs him it isn't fair when he has to go to work.i retired at Christmas and had intended to come off but keep delaying as it is so hard to come off HRT unless one has a strong reason when one feels fit and well seems crazy to upset ones body that has become so use to the additional hormone.I need a doctor or scientist to explain to me the benefits of giving up !We know the risks of smoking (which I gave up 30 years ago ) but HRT is confusing as some sources say it's good for us others say not ?
    • Posted

I agree about asking for the benefits of giving up!   All we ever hear about are risks and not benefits - or, more significantly, the balance between the two.   I think GPs are becoming quite robotic, just following mantras from on high - usually NICE - which they then pass on to patients, completely indiscriminately, not taking into account individuals' health history and/or lifestyle.  The end result is that a lot of their advice makes no sense at all relative to the latest 'research'.  For example, I've been told to come off Livial because after 60 because there's DOUBLE the increase of stroke.  Turns out , when I researched this online, that the 'double' means a rise from 1.1% of women to 2.4% - AND it clearly says 'in women already at high risk'.  So, surely the risk of the ghastly symptoms from coming off HRT - which so many people here have listed here - is a far greater risk to my health, and, to boot, I might lose so much energy I won't do the daily exercise which can prevent a stroke!  I'm due for my MOT any day now and I'm going to ask my doctor to work out exactly what my stroke risk is (now that I know it's only 2.4%) relative to my level of exercise which, I have read reduces my risk by 43%, and eating tomatoes 4 or 5 times a week - which I do - which reduces it by 59%!   Ha, ha, I'll let her do the bloody maths!
    • Posted

I am being forced off my patch at age 62.  I have been on them since menopause at 50.  At first when I cut them in half I thought I was doing ok.  A little weight loss and a bit of energy was all I noticed.  But then the energy turned into anxiety and irritability and now I do not feel like myself at all.  I have NO libido and it is horrible.  I have a call in to my ob/gyn to see what the chances are of continuing the patch.  I sure hope I get a positive response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.