Forced off HRT at 60?

Posted , 117 users are following.

I've been on HRT, very happily, since my menopause at 45 (I'm now 67).  My doctor is really pressing me now to come off it.  Personally, I believe in 'if it ain't broke, why fix it?'.   I am (as far as I know!) in very good health:  I walk for over an hour a day, work out, eat extremely well, don't smoke, am not overweight, I'm still working part-time, I don't have any cancer history in my family and feel full of energy and bonhomie!   The risks relating to HRT and breast cancer are now proved to be unfounded and anyway there is no breast cancer in my family.  The risk, apparently, that rises after 60 on HRT is stroke.  However, doctors also say that you are 43% less likely to have a stroke if you exercise an hour every day, which I do.  So, is it not reasonable to say that as long as I am low risk, and as long as I feel great on HRT, why come off it?  My age group are all one big experiment anyway and in America I know women can be on it till they drop.  The question is: can my doctor force me to give HRT up?

26 likes, 445 replies

445 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Met a lady today whose been on HRT for 40 years, she's in her 80s and has no desire to come off it. She's fit well and has boundless energy. Makes me wonder how many doctors are interested enough in helping their patients by keep up with research and facts !!!
    • Posted

OMG, HappyChic!   Did you ask her the question we all want the answer to - where does she still get her scrips from?   We'll all be tearing down to see that doctor!  So glad to hear this lady's still on it and good for her. On a Gransnet forum on this HRT debate, there are two women who refer to their mums in their 80s still on it.  One was so disgusted when her doctor took her off it eventually she filled her cupboards with HRT she bought online and offered to any friends who met the same resistance!  
  • Posted

It seems to me we older ladies that have been on HRT for years have a tuff fight on our hands.

in another post I said how my Dr gave me another script but she has got in touch saying she wants to take my BP I know for a fact it's going to go up when I go to see her she does that to me makes my Blood BOIL heheh. I'm ready for her have been taking at home and it's low if anything.

• Posted

If it's any help to anyone considering buying online but concerned about authenticity, I looked at some online reviews of Euroclinix, a site recommended by someone, either here or on Gransnet. We all have to be careful not to be conned by websites selling counterfeit stuff, but I looked at reviews of Euroclinix and people spoke very highly of their professionalism and also assistance over the phone.  I did a 'dry run' up to the point of payment to see if I could get what I want and that all seemed to work, so I think that will be definitely be my fallback position if I really come up against it with my GP.  Just wondering if anyone else has bought from this site.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been using EuroClinix for a long time and can report that it is a trustworthy source. As I explained in an earlier post it does ask you questions and will at the end of it tell you that your order will be clearned by their doctor after which they will send you an email to confirm this. Another one is sent to confirm when the item was shipped. They even tell you when to expect it.

As for the lady I met the other day who was in her 80s and has been on HRT for 40 years,  unfortunately I wasn't in a position to question her but rest assured I will when I get to see her stain. Have. Happy day 😃😃😃

• Posted

Brilliant.  Let us know her technique!  Meanwhile, thanks for the confirmation Euroclinix are OK to go.  I also googled 'buying hrt online' just to see how many - and what - sources there are, and found that Lloyds Pharmacy also do it - you can collect or have delivered - so they are obviously a reliable source.  I also noticed mine was £10 cheaper on there! 
    • Posted

EuroClinix does not ship to the USA  ;( , anyone in the US know where online we can get legitimate HRT ?
  • Posted

So does that mean when you say cleared by your Dr it still has to go through your doctor to get her approval? Differently won't get my doctor to agree. Shes really adiment about buying on line she said it dangerous. 
    • Posted

No it's cleared by their own Dr who goes through your medical history from the questions you will have answered on line
    • Posted

I worried about that too in the beginning as I thought they would get in touch with my doctor but they don't. It's a safety clause for them as they pass what your answers are onto a doctor they use and it covers them (I'm assuming).
  • Posted

Oh I see that's good. Are the HRT you get the same ones as your prescribed from your Dr? Also have you had a hysterectomy?
    • Posted

Hi, yes they're the same one's I've always had and yes I've had a full hysterectomy. 
  • Posted

I had a Hysterectomy when I was 37 and both ovaries removed. I'm now 70 and have been on HRT all that time, firstly implants for 8 years and now the wonderful Estraderm MX patches 100 at first and now 50micrograms tried going down to 25 a couple of years ago with devastating consequences after a few months of perseverence I was glad to return to taking the 50 size. I really would not recommend the tablet form as they have to go through the digestive system and through the liver etc.,My first consultants remarks not mine a big no no for him and that was his opinion years ago.

Has anyone seen the results of the HRT trials on women without ovaries ( Yale Medical School trials and Pennsylvania Medial School who have gone through the surgical menopause, it's quite sad that in USA alone up to 50,000 women have died needlessly through stopping HRT out of fear because of those "Womens Health Initiative WHI flawed trials. Yale Medical School results show that out of 2,000 women taking part 1,000 taking HRT and 1,000 given a placebo, the women taking the placebo not one lived beyond 70 years of age.

Pennsylvania University even said women without ovaries and have the mutant genes where there is a higher risk of breast cancer should still be given HRT because without it they would probably be dead even before they developed breast cancer.

• Posted

It's great to know that you are positive about HRT.I am on a low dose and feel well but thought maybe having been on it 12 years should come off.But when I tried to come off 2 years ago I felt terribly anxious and had trouble sleeping .Back on it but use patches because I read somewhere that patches were better as going through the skin was closer to natural than going through your stomach and liver ?Not sure which is best but patches have suited me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.