Forgot how to walk

Posted , 7 users are following.

broke ankle (21fractures) early November. After four plates and screws fitted, I have in last two weeks been allowed to now bear weight.

at times when I stand I just freeze, as though can't remember how to put one front of other. 

I was using moon boot and Zimmer frame. Now after 2nd time at physio told to use crutches and stop using boot. Terrified. 

Also after having ankle pulled and tugged the last two days found ankle to be more stiff than ever. Anyone else had these problems?

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yipee, progress today. Managed to walk for ten minutes on crutches outside. Very slow paste👍

Managed to come back indoors up two front steps.

able to pull myself at top of stairs without any help and also came half way down stairs before having to sit and shuffle down the rest.

Feeling good this evening, foot swollen and no doubt will keep me awake, but hey feel as though won the lottery.

• Posted

Well done Gill.  I was like you 3 weeks ago after the cast was removed and I have been amazed how quickly I have progressed.  Yes the foot does swell after walking but it's worth the discomfort just to do something normal again.  I manage around the house with no support now and just one crutch in town incase someone bumps into me as my leg is still not as strong as before the break. I have been driving again fo the last week but walking is still slow due to the stiffness.  Much more supple in the morning so take a couple of paracetamol and do housework or go out then and rest after that.  Keep positive and hope you progress like me.
    • Posted

Well done Gill. I'm really pleased for you and the progress made.

Its a great feeling isn't it?

I had enormous difficulties with steps and stairs initially, once you make your first steps, although at a slow pace, your confidence will grow and it will become easier.

I think the swelling is the hardest fact to accept in the recovery, but take some Paracetamol before bedtime and you should be ok.

Great news, keep it up 🙂

• Posted

Thanks, hoping this is start of onwards and upwards. Really was beginning to think wouldn't walk again. My friend has been brilliant, taking me to all appointments and walking outside with me today. She full of encouragement and not saying anything negative. Don't know what I would have done without her. She needs a medal
    • Posted

Hi Gill

saw your post on new physio, that is great news!! What did she do, I'm curious so I can see what my physio is doing. Finally up in my walker a few times a day. My foot move 5% more this week, I'm encouraged. What a slow boat this is we should be called inch worms.....haha. Keep on 

take good care 👣

• Posted

Saw a different physiotherapist today (the one I previously seen on holiday, hoping he taking long vacation). The one today asked if I minded if he could bring student in. He showed her how to exercise the ankle. Basically similar to stretching with bands. She held my foot pushing the foot backwards and forwards holding it to the count of ten. Then she held onto heel and tried to move foot sideways. This is where she said got the most tightness. Honestly she caused no pain. This is the most treatment today received. Walking out of hospital could feel the difference, less tightness. I ended up walking down corridor holding crutches up off floor. My friend was so flabbergasted she has got it on video. When I got home my son-in-law asked if seen a miracle worker.

This is what I have been expecting all along at physiotherapy. Next appointment in 10 days with the student again. So pleased. 

Still a way to go to become more steady on feet but so pleased with today's appointment I am on cloud nine.

Pleased to hear your improving, it's certainly one step at a time.

• Posted

Hi jannie, just wondering how things are progressing. Have you managed to take your first unaided steps yet? 
    • Posted

Hi Gill

good to hear from you. I'm up in my walker half time, not walking yet, but have tried to but my good leg just stands there as my injured left foot hasn't got the strength yet to support that motion. I'm trying all the time, I figure it will happen just don't know when. Working on  quad strength etc.  I'm up and about busy as ever and not possessed by my foot like before in the early days. How are you doing??  I know you've made great strides. Take good care, Jannie 👣

• Posted

Pleased to hear your making progress and keeping busy. You have the right positive attitude that got to help in your favour. I seemed to make good strides but now not seen much improvements over last few weeks and wonder maybe this is good as it gets. It amazing how we can adapt. On a good note my scar looks as though it's finally healing. Last week had the long awaited results from bone density scan, these showed I don't have osteoporosis. Yipee. 

Best wishes. Jill

• Posted

Thanks Jill, my physio says it plateaus and then goes again to take up to over a year......your doing good. I got a knee brace for extra support. I can't wait to take my first steps..take good care 👣 best, Jannie 
    • Posted

Be there cheering you when you do take first step. Agree will take at least a year to recover. When you think back to five months ago we all come on a long way. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.