Found the cause of the bleeding.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi every one, 

i had my 6 month check at the respitory clinic the other week, spent a good half an hour with the doc who was brilliant, she listened to me & gave all the answers I wanted & needed so that was great. 

She has said the cause of the bleeding is due to blood vessels in the lungs bursting when I get an infection as there attached to the airways. I have bronchiectasis in both lungs & its spread all over the lungs from top to bottom. The airways that are affected look like rings as there circular & have what looks like a diamond on them which is the blood vessel. It's these vessels that burst & bleed when I have an infection. Was good to find out the cause & now she said she will be keeping a close eye me & has got me on a four month review instead of a six month one. Being sent for loads of tests over the coming months to find the cause of the bronchiectasis as still not known. Had bloods & next week going for a full pulmonary lung function test, all go here lol. 

Well I hope every one is ok & your all smiling & laughing, take care all & hope to speak to you soon :0)

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

it was good to hear that explanation because when i cough up blood it really frightens me. thanks for that and hope the tests go well for you
    • Posted

Hi dancing queen,

it was brilliant to find the cause as I was starting to think it might be due to something else so yeah it was a relief. I was frightened when I first coughed up blood but just got used to it to be honest & now I know the cause & it can be sorted with antibiotics. The doc said if the bleeding lasts for more than 15 mins then I need to call an ambulance & get to A&E, even if it stops as they might be able to help, will see what happens. 

Hope your well & feeling strong, take care & speak soon :0)

• Posted

Hi!

I have bronchiectasis in my right lung, when i coughed blood doctors can't find any infection. Just told me that i might need an operation if i get big hemorrhage again. I don't cough blood since last winter, hope it won't happen with anybody ever again x(

• Posted

Hi larrylarry,

the doc couldn't give me a reason for the bleed at first until I had a CT scan with dye, then it showed the blood vessels next to the airways which would burst when I had an infection. She said to just keep an eye on the bleeding in the future. Not sure if I could have an operation on my lungs as the bronchiectasis is so widely spread in both lungs. 

Well I hope you're  well & I hope you don't get anymore bleeds, take care & keep smiling :0)

• Posted

I am so pleased for you Dave, answers and a doc who listens? wow..you hit the jackpot..

good luck with all the test, and is there ever a proven cause of bronchiectasis?exclaim

• Posted

Hi nanooskar,

thany you :0)  it really was refreshing to speak to someone who had all the answers & was willing to listen & willing to help, there are some Drs out there with some compassion :0). 

As for a cause of bronchiectasis there are a few, whooping cough, measles, mumps, lots of chest infections & cystic fibrosis as a child can all cause it. Sometimes they can't find a cause so it's a funny old disease! 

If they find out my cause I'll let you know, take care & keep smiling :0) speak soon. 

• Posted

When i was ~13 years old i had pneumonia, i think this is the cause of my bronchiectasis. Did you have something in your childhood that may be cause of yours ??
    • Posted

I don't know if it is the cause so much as the trigger Larry, but I have had multiple bouts of severe Bronchitis since nov-dec 2013. I was told by GP's (4 of them)..it was asthma, COPD, nope..got it wrong..Asthma..nope..not COPD, seasonal allergies; tested for pertussis( whooping cough) on 3 different occassions..anyway..I requested referral to private respiratory doc ( my income is aged pension only) and result 1 was COPD , had CT scans, result 2 Bronchiectis.. back to see him in 2 weeks for final Dx...I also have high rhuematoid factor..and I understand that the conditions can go hand in hand.. Good luck with your life's path Larry!
    • Posted

Hi larrylarry,

too my knowledge I only had the mumps as a child but my mum said I used to suffer from a lot of colds until I had my tonsils out. 

Hopefully the tests will find the cause but you can also have undiagnosed bronchiectasis so will wait & see. 

• Posted

I also had high rheumatoid factor few years ago (had tonsillitis), it's reaction to inflammation or infection. my rheumatoid factor went to normal when i got rid of infection. your rheumatoid factor will go low, don't be worry about that. Good luck you too!
    • Posted

as a child i had a lot of colds too until i remove my tonsils smile ...well i removed it when i was 23 ( 3 year ago ), so i had a lot of colds whole my life smile
    • Posted

No I didnt, and had my tonsils out at 25yrs old. and that was the only time I had tonsillitis. I did have all the childhood illlnesses ie Mumps Chicken pox, measles.. and 2 bouts of rheumatic fever..so who the heck knows, because I don't!

• Posted

Yes my husband Joe also has R.A. and the Dr said the 2 can be linked up
    • Posted

Oh the possible links...and yet..these lung things get us out of the blue in my case!!

Hope your husband stays well..and you too, jeannie4243

• Posted

Thank you naooskar joe still in hospital and still not responding well to I.V. had rhumi doctor this afternoon to make sure it was not his R.A. causintg problem, which he says not. On top of this he has a problem with his eye, oh happy days.

• Posted

oh you poor love, thinking of you, and Joe of course.. It is hard for you as well, and i understand that..I was my late husbands carer for 23 yrs ..a full time job with more downs than ups. Blessings. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.