Four days and counting.... bowel prep?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone.  This site has been so useful to me over the last month as my operation date approaches.  Your posts about your recovery rates, problems you've experienced and tips have been really helpful.  I'm due in on Monday 11th April for Anterior repair +/- Posterior +/- Hysterectomy +/-  SSF Stitch.  

Currently waking every night in a bit of a panic but feeling well informed thanks to this forum.  

Have been advised I don't need bowel prep for this operation but I know others who did have it.  What was your experience?

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Claire, 

wishing you all the very best for Monday. The waiting is the worst part. I was asked to eat low fibre to rest the bowel but each consultant knows what works best for them. Some post op tips: small sport top water bottles as the hospital jugs are too heavy to manage. Cough sweets for throat. Mahoosive knickers. Soft pads I've the old type of sanitary towels. A long phone charger if you have one. Travel sizes of toothpaste, shampoo etc easier to manage. Let us know how you get on X 

• Posted

Hi Claire I had anterior , posterior and perenium repair . No bowel prep. I was fine but just remember you'll struggle to have a bm first few days so make sure you empty your bowels as much as possible before surgery X best wishes xx
  • Posted

Hi Claire how you feeling Claire,u nervous hun?what time you have to be in?xx
  • Posted

claire research has proved that the more relaxed you are prior to surgery the better the outcome so please relax, try not too worry and keep in touch with us here. Good luck x
    • Posted

Afternoon lovely,I'm feeling OK about the op hun.. I km now it

Has to be done, or it will end up like n orange😂😂😂.it will ,be 2 weeks on that day oif

My op that I shaved own there,it would of grown by the time I Hasbro

That op lol.don't want any infection hun.xxx

• Posted

Sorry spelling is awful!!xx
  • Posted

Hi Claire 

Don't worry you will be fine. I read loads before my op and worried myself silly. I had Recto/entrocele repair, perenium repair and SSF for vault prolapse and am now almost 10 weeks post op.. I had 2 weeks post op buttock pain, which was bad, but have otherwise been fine. No bowel prep beforehand and discharged after 2 nights stay in hospital.  Make sure you have plenty of help for the first few weeks and rest as much as possible. Good luck   

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I had hysterectomy and anterior repair 3 years ago, was in so much pain before op that I was not in least bit nervous, was just so glad something was finally getting fixed.

This time round gad a anterior and posterior repair, almost 6 weeks post op.

Even though I knew there was nothing to be nervous about I got myself so wound up my blood pressure was slightly up.

They walked me down to theater, surgeon said she wanted to talk to me 1st meanwhile someone said ' just going to give you something to relax you, I looked at the clock and next thing I was back in the ward. Even missed the countdown to 10.

So there is really nothing to be worried about we are always in expert hands.

Good luck be over before you know it.

Phyl xx ☺☺☺

• Posted

Hi Claire, my dr asked an enema the night before but I went to the bathroom in the morning also because of the enema effect, I was totally empty for surgery at 1400. I was two nights at hospital and I didn't have BM, so my dr obliged me to do another enema just before leaving the hospital. I hope everything goes well!! Keep us updated!! Big hugs!!!
    • Posted

I think you have brought up a very good point Hijadeonagro and that having an enema or if not available take something like Senokot prior to the surgery is a good idea. A lot of consultants don't ask for this but particularly with a rectocele repair it can prevent some of the pain and discomfort. I definitely wish I had.
    • Posted

I'm guessing matron anterior rerpaur don't need to worry? I'll go any way

Because oif nerves. Xx

• Posted

No I don't think you need to worry when it's an anterior repair. xx
  • Posted

Hi I had a post and ant repair plus vaginal hysterectomy 9 weeks ago and my recovery is going well. 

The only thing I would advise as I have found it very helpful is too keep stools soft. I didnt do this and the 1st few weeks I struggled.

lactulose has been a god send and glycerine suppositories huge help in early days.

Everyone is different but I have managed my pain well with just paracetamol and anti inflams. I did suffer with terrible trapped wind pain while I was in hospital so maybe pack some wind eze. Apparantly they fill your stomach with air with this procedure (hysterectomy) and it takes some getting rid off.

Best wishes for your surgery I'm sure you'll be fine 😘 Rest and take good care after xxx

• Posted

Just a bit of advice if you take something into hospital with the intent to self medicate you must discuss this with the nursing staff. All hospital wards do stock medication for trapped wind because it's common in the majority of operations now not just gynae surgery. I know from experience as a ward sister what can seem to be the most innocent of medicine can react with other medication and cause problems for nursing and medical staff.
    • Posted

It's the pelvic cavity that is pumped with air not the stomach jill 
    • Posted

They didn't have anything for trapped wind where I was, they could only give pain relief which didn't help with trapped wind pain.

They did suggest using wind Eze or peppermint with water so sent my husband to get it. 

Its prescription Meds I was told I couldn't self medicate with.

• Posted

Peppermint tea isd wonderful for wind matron. I drank loads in hospital

After my op.. Really kept wind at bay,although the gas didn't affect me like I thought it would. Xx

• Posted

As I said most hospital wards do have medication for trapped wind and that's ok if the staff ask you to get something, that meant they were aware and obviously knew what other medication you had or had not been given.
    • Posted

I absolutely agree and when I had wind after my cholecystectomy many years ago the nurse brought me a cup. I'm not keen to be honest but it did the trick! 😘
    • Posted

Much better with honey. I took my own in.I will next week to.should help with bowels. Xx
    • Posted

Hi matron,all good at my pre assessment.. Amazing oxygen levels,she couldn't believe I was 48😁😁made Me feel as bit berttet.

She also told me how wonderful Mr monga is.I'm kind of looking forward

To getting it all done now.😘😘

• Posted

That's good news welshgirl. Perhaps you'll relax a bit now? I live in hope 😂
    • Posted

😁😁😁😁😁😁yes I will.I am working up yo Saturday so I have lots to take my mind of it.you will miss me when I'm gone☺☺☺☺

Well I hope dfo hahaha.😘😘😘

• Posted

You won't be gone for long and no doubt you'll be messaging from your hospital bed telling us you have a lovely quiet room and drooling over the lovely Mr Monga 😂😂😂
    • Posted

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁hahgahgahs

Have you seen him?he has lovely hands😊😊😊😊😊😊

• Posted

I haven't had the pleasure welshgirl 😂😂😂😘😘
    • Posted

😂😂😂😂😂😂☺☺☺☺☺ that sounds naughty hahaha.. 😊😊😊
    • Posted

Hi matron, what pain relive are supps? Do they give you I've effects

As I can only take paracetamol?😘will supps make you sick?

• Posted

There are many different pain reliever suppositories. Paracetamol (regularly given to children especially if they are vomiting) and ibuprofen. They rarely cause sickness because they aren't taken orally so ideal if you are a sickly person and can't cope with anything taken by mouth. 
    • Posted

So I could have a paracetamol supps?do they work quicker matron?
    • Posted

There's no reason why you can't have paracetamol in a suppository form. Discuss it with the anaesthetist and see if he will give you them whilst you're still in surgery unless he thinks you will need something a bit stronger. There are suppository forms of stronger painkillers. I'm not sure they work faster but if you are prone to feeling sick after oral medication then this is your best alternative......unless you want an injection of course 😡
    • Posted

Last time I had just paracetamol.. Probably to be safe I think the supps are best.at least I won't feel ewwwwie afterwards.

I may be OK but will see.thanks matron, you be glad when its all done.😘😘😘😘 more peace lol

• Posted

See how you feel because paracetamol may not be enough for the pain. You just don't know how you'll be. And yes I'll be glad when your operation is over.....for your sake. I don't need any peace 😘😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.