Four days and counting.... bowel prep?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone.  This site has been so useful to me over the last month as my operation date approaches.  Your posts about your recovery rates, problems you've experienced and tips have been really helpful.  I'm due in on Monday 11th April for Anterior repair +/- Posterior +/- Hysterectomy +/-  SSF Stitch.  

Currently waking every night in a bit of a panic but feeling well informed thanks to this forum.  

Have been advised I don't need bowel prep for this operation but I know others who did have it.  What was your experience?

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Claire, just wanted to wish you luck for today. I didn't do bowel prep but nerves did clear me out. My doc told me not to worry. Take stool softeners is great advice I did a few days before op as well after reading about them on this forum. I got hubby to bring me in some degas tablets which helped with wind. A lip balm for your helps is good too. Your own pads -overnight thins are good as the hospital ones were too short. Slip in slippers are great as you don't have to bend down as well as slip in shoes to go home. Don't be brave, ask for painkillers as sleep is important .Like Matron says we heal better when not in pain. Big hugs xx

• Posted

I have had a bowel prep each time and despite being unpleasant it was fine, not really a problem. I too found the forums a great support for my hysterectomy and the other gynae surgeries. It's good to understand what other women are experiencing and everyone had a unique story and helpful advice on recovery. I have had a lot of gynae and urology surgery some major, since my late 20's, I'm now 52 and each time I've pushed the boundaries of recovery, mind over matter as it were but this time feel it's knocked me for six! Good luck with your surgery it's quite a big one so take it steady.
  • Posted

Hi hun,thinking of you today. Keep us updated on how you are.💕💕💕 healing vibes coming through.xx
  • Posted

A short update:

I was first down which I was glad about as I was really really apprehensive. My anaesthetist and surgeon were both very reassuring. I went out like a light and woke up an hour and a half later but it felt like 2mins. I ended up having just the anterior and the hysterectomy - apparently didn't need the posterior or SSF.

Tramadol knocked me for six and I was a zombie until 5pm. Now I've had a suppository for the pain (exactly like labour pain which is ironic ) and I'm feeling much better. Blood pressure is still low but I've a tendency towards that.

Kids and hubby on the way to visit. Feeling positive xx

• Posted

Great news claire so now rest, rest and more rest xx
    • Posted

That's great news Claire.I'm so pleased its all over.mynturn next Monday for my ant repair.

Lots of healing hugs? Do you know hjow long you will be in hun?xxxc

• Posted

Hoping to come home this evening. I've managed to wee enough without the catheter and have had a little walk up the corridor. But feel very weak and have a bad dragging pain when I'm standing upright or on the loo. Just gave myself my first blood thinner injection- not pleasant. Blood pressure was low but now back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.