Fracture Healing and Prednisolone

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I’m an active 59 yr old man who is currently on 4.5mg of Prednisolone for PMR. I have been tapering from 15mg since mid June this year :6 months. I am taking multi-vitamin supplement and drink lots of milk , cheese, eggs etc. My spine is osteopenic -1.5 (August).

Unfortunately I came off my bike yesterday and broke my clavicle and ribs. I also have a running injury to my knee. The Prednisolone i am taking may have contributed to the fractures and will also slow and prevent bone healing. Should I therefore quickly taper off the Prednisolone and risk a PMR flare and suffer stiffness and inflammation until my collarbone and knee have healed? I don’t want to take Alendroic acid as I have very bad teeth and frequent extractions and have also heard of other bad side effects. Taking it not have any effect for 6 monthsanyhow. I have also researched the effects of low dose Pred on bone healing and several studies have shown that doses 2.5 to 5mg do have a rapid effect on bone strength and increase fracture risk by 70% as well healing.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Gosh poor you! you didn't need an accident on top of PMR. Well done for tapering down so quickly.

I don't have a lot of experience but broke my ankle just standing up a year ago. I have been on pred for 4.5 years going from 20 to 3 and then back up with a couple of flares. Am currently on 8.

Although I obviously thought the break was caused by side effects of thinning bones my ankle healed really well in 6 weeks and even stood up to a pasting of falling downstairs and re tearing ligaments. I am hopeful therefore that the pred is not such bad news and would be very wary of coming off at this time.

• Posted

Thankyou for this. Its reassuring that your ankle healed so quickly even though on Pred. Hope your ligaments heal too - poor you. Amazing that standing up broke it, but falling down stairs did'nt ! I 've decided to try to drop to 3.5mg and then see how it goes from there. I havent suffered any side effects attributable to Pred so far so would have been happy staying at that level before this.

• Posted

It is not only the PMR you have to think about but also adrenal function - even after just 6 months you still need to taper slowly or there is the risk an adrenal crisis. You would need at least 2 or 3 months to get to zero safely - by which time the bones are likely to be healing well, providing you are sensible about what you do so as not to disturb the bones again.

There are a lot of people on the PMR forums who have had fractures and orthopaedic operations while still on pred and healed fine. Your bone density is pretty well normal and alendronic acid should not really be used at that sort of t-score, calcium and vit D supplements and weight-bearing exercise is usually considered by experts to be sufficient.

Like Jillian, I think you would be unwise to stop the pred particularly since a resurgence of the PMR affecting the shoulder girdle would be likely to make any rehab more difficult.

• Posted

Thankyou for the advice. I was quite worried about Pred as i have come off my bike at higher speeds and never had a fracture before of any sort. Very reassuring and informative re adrenals. I didnt even know they existed a few months ago! Think i will drop down to 3.5mg and leave at that for a few weeks as have had no issues yet and very little stiffness.

• Posted

Hi Tonche, I am an active Male also, bicyclist, ski instructor, I eat anti inflammatory organic diet, plus supplements calcium, magnesium, vitamin K2 and MSM. I would not rush off the Pred, I did once and had a debilitating flare. Good luck on the rest of your PMR journey. Try to think positive and stay active. I know this sounds crazy, but try to smile. 🙂

• Posted

Thanks to everyone. I'm still unhappy about taking Pred above 2.5mg after reading this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/15746991 Hopefully can get to this level in a few weeks to ensure i don't up with a weakened collarbone. Be good not to break it again when i next take a tumble.

• Posted

Have you read studies on aspirin or Ibuprofen or most other drugs? Most of them are pretty frightening. In fact reading the data sheets with your tablets are frightening enough. I would prefer to take long term pred any day against long term Ibuprofen. They do say that a bone that has been broken heals stronger than it was in the first place although that may be a myth, at least it is as strong as it was before if not stronger.

• Posted

I agree 100%, check side effects of over the counter meds. 🙂

• Posted

If I were you I would reduce exercise, not prednisone. If you were not on pred, how would you recover from the injury you have? Do exactly the same. While there are many scary studies about the impact of pred, (like the one that you posted), there are also studies like Mayo clinic that indicates that long term pred use is not decremental for health, when compared to the same age group individuals. The only exception is cataract incidents which are higher for PMR patients.

I have been on pred for 4 years now, and my bone density is higher then average and equal to young adult bone density. I think it is because of my life long active life ( ex triathlon ) and healthy diet. I do take calcium , Vit D and Vit K2 since the onset of PMR.

• Posted

Hi, Im 62 and on 2mg pred ,taken most of this year to taper to there. I fell off a patio step earlier this year and broke my fibula down near the ankle. I healed fine and had no troubles healing, my biggest concern. My Primary care MD also had me get a bone density test earlier in the year to see where I was and since I was going to be on the Pred for a while. It was great, no loss at all. I eat for optimal nutrition and really try to monitor my nutrients etc. Also in sept I was working in my garden and strained some intercostal muscles in my rib area. excrutiating! went to Urgent Care. I was tapering from 2mg to 1.5 at the time and though the Dr told me to increase for a while I wanted off the Pred and tried to force it and ended up in a big flare that lasted for 6 weeks. Ive since realized my body is not ready to go below 2mg so Im staying put for a while.I find that when the proper Pred dosage and my PMR are working together Im very clear headed, really good energy and strong feeling legs. When things are off I do feel funky and awkward at times. Ive found for me this is not the Prednisone but the PMR inflammation, a flare. This is a great support group helped me a lot thru all this. Dr's dont help much with living while on Pred.

• Posted

As I understand it the greatest effect on the bones is in the first three or four months of taking pred. I do not know why, perhaps because our dosage is higher then, or perhaps in some way the body adapts. In any event I think you should just do all the bone healthy stuff, eat right, we know you exercise, are you getting weight bearing in that, simply walking will do, and take a few supplements, including Vitamin K2. I improved my bone density between scans during a years when my dose was still above 5 mg for most of that year, although down to 3 by time of the second scan. Medication advised after first scan (refused by me) and recommendation dropped after the second scan.

• Posted

Amazing that you managed to increase your bone density. Have I understood correctly that you did this by diet and walking + vitamin supplement? How far do you walk and is this daily exercise?

Also be really interested to know about research into initial bone loss after first few months of taking pred. I wasn't aware of this although it makes sense as you say that is when we are taking the highest dosage.

• Posted

Several people seem to have improved their bone density this way. Also some people wear weight vests which seem to help.

• Posted

Thanks - yes i was doing lots of long distance and cross country race running, thats how i injured my knee i think? Unfortunately i cant run or even walk now as i have knee and hip pain. I may have injured my left hip in the fall too? I was already taking supplements including K2 etc and also weight training my upper body in the gym. Now completely sedentary and worried. However i will be back doing all my activities as soon as i'm healed.

• Posted

As long as it isn't BEFORE you are healed. And taking the PMR into consideration too.

• Posted

Is swimming a possibility? I originally thought that swimming wasn't good for bones, but apparently it's better than nothing because it keeps muscles strong and strong muscles exert more pull on the bones....

• Posted

Thank you for your help, but can't swim as i have left arm in a sling due to fracture, but as soon as i am given the all clear to , I will give it a try. Especially useful if my knee and hip aren't healed before the collarbone. At least PMR has taken a back seat and so I've managed to get down to 3.5mg now with no issues so far.

• Posted

Odd, isn't it? I noticed whenever I was sick with something else that PMR faded. There is probably a reason for it, but like everything about this annoying disease it is mysterious.

• Posted

Wow - good to know i'm not imagining it! Just hope it does not flare with a vengence after i've healed. Just getting my left hip checked out this morning as it is'nt getting any better and it may have a blow too?

• Posted

TonChe, when I joined the forum I could not walk was using a wheelchair and very depressed. Eileenh and other people on the forum told me I had to get up and start moving. In the middle of our town there is a little park with pond, there is a 1/6 of mile walking path around the pond. With the help of a cane I started walking around the pond, one time around sit on a bench, rest and one time around. Little by little I increase my times around the pond. Soon I was walking around the town. I had been a cyclist riding three to four thousand miles a year and a ski instructor in the winter. I could not walk! To make a long story short, I did ski the winter and worked as a ski instructor. It can be done with the help of Prednisone and careful management of PMR. It is up to you to take control of your situation, listen to your body and act accordingly. Try to stay active, positive and smile it helps! 🙂

• Posted

Anhaga, I am just the opposite, if I get something I get a flare!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.