Fracture Healing and Prednisolone

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I’m an active 59 yr old man who is currently on 4.5mg of Prednisolone for PMR. I have been tapering from 15mg since mid June this year :6 months. I am taking multi-vitamin supplement and drink lots of milk , cheese, eggs etc. My spine is osteopenic -1.5 (August).

Unfortunately I came off my bike yesterday and broke my clavicle and ribs. I also have a running injury to my knee. The Prednisolone i am taking may have contributed to the fractures and will also slow and prevent bone healing. Should I therefore quickly taper off the Prednisolone and risk a PMR flare and suffer stiffness and inflammation until my collarbone and knee have healed? I don’t want to take Alendroic acid as I have very bad teeth and frequent extractions and have also heard of other bad side effects. Taking it not have any effect for 6 monthsanyhow. I have also researched the effects of low dose Pred on bone healing and several studies have shown that doses 2.5 to 5mg do have a rapid effect on bone strength and increase fracture risk by 70% as well healing.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How much K2 are people taking? Can those on K2 weigh in, please? I need to start on this.

In addition to PMR, I have IBS-C, and calcium supplements have caused me a lot of trouble, so I'm struggling to get calcium through diet, but foods high in calcium also seem to cause me trouble. Any advice on this would be welcome.

• Posted

Australia has only "official" recommendation I've heard of. 180 mcg K2 mk7. I take two 100 mcg capsules a day, which is close to that recommendation. The dosage for mk4 is very different but as the body produces its own mk4 from mk7 it's easier just to take the mk7. Vitamin K2 is also available as an oral spray although I haven't used that form.

• Posted

Hi Jeannecat, I been taking 45 mcg with MK-7,MenaQ7, for about 2.5 years. Good luck 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.