Fracture numerous head

Posted , 28 users are following.

I fractured the humoros head of my left shoulder on Christmas Eve as a result of a fall during ice-skating. It has been three weeks and my left arm is immobilized in a sling. I return in two weeks to the orthopedic physician who will then x-ray the shoulder again to be certain it is healing well. There was no displacement. I live in the US & wondered how long I will have PT. I'm also wondering when I will be able to use the left arm to hold a hair dryer so I can do my hair. I'm 57 years old & am so hurt when people say I was probably too old to be ice skating. Any replies on healing are appreciated. I'm really frustrated with slow process of healing.

2 likes, 93 replies

93 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Fractured my collarbone about years ago,and even though I was in pain,the medical staff at the hospital,didn't bother about an XRay as I could move my arm and fingers.It was a month later when my local GP arranged an XRay,it was found to be fractured.It was then immobilised with a foam support,and I had physio for three months.I think everyone heals at a different pace,and there is probably no way anyone apart from your physician,can determine when you have healed.Don't take any notice of people who are insensitive and rude,in sayingI Ng you shouldn't ice skate.Age is only a number,and I know a 70 year old couple who dance swing and rock 'n roll better than sone twenty year olds. Don't rush it though,as I have just been diagnosed with two rotor cuff tears and Bursitis,and have osteoarthritis also,and I have been told I am facing months of physio,and maybe surgery.I am 69 in May.Strangely,no one has suggested I wear any type of support for my shoulder,and the pain goes right to my wrist.

Good luck,and I hope you get back to your skating again in due course,

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is really difficult being at home and not being able to do much during this recovery period.I have been trying to regain my strength by walking several times during the day but just short distances. I am surprised at how weak I have become with three weeks of inactivity. I am sorry to hear that you have two rotator cuff tears and may be facing surgery or months of therapy.
    • Posted

Again I wanted to thank you for responding to my post. Do you have any idea how long it will be before I would be able to raise my left arm? I am doing passive range of motion exercises four times a day at this point. But I do not believe I will start physical therapy until two more weeks at which time another x-ray will be complete. I am not able to use a curling iron to do my hair at this point and that has been very troubling. Take care and I hope to hear from you again.
  • Posted

Thanks also for your kind words.When I had the collarbone fracture,it was about six months before I could raise my arm enough to use a hair dryer,and even before my fall before Xmas,because of the osteoarthritis in my neck and shoulder,there is always a degree of stiffness anyway.The exercises you are doing will be helping repair and strengthen,as the physiotherapist has told me to try moving my neck and shoulders gently,as one shoulder the muscles are bunching,and the right is higher than the left.I am more fortunate than you,in that I can go out,and try to do normal activities,but no heavy lifting or anything,as that will mean a complete tear.I am frustrated as I still work with my husband,and as good as he is,he doesn't understand the weakness situation,and I carried a very small box of China mugs to the car the other day,after telling him,I can't open the door,and carry at the same time,and promptly dropped and smashed the lot.He got the message...😄.It really does make you feel like crying at times,when something light just slips through your fingers.I am right handed,and now through favouring the left,it has made the osteo in that wrist flare up,so it is a vicious circle.Mine was a result of a fall on a piece of fruit on the floor,I didn't see.The hardest thing is the time factor with healing,and you can only follow the instructions of your practitioner,but like my therapist said,it is always a bit of a grey area with these types of injuries,as unfortunately no one can predict the full outcome.Take care.x

• Posted

Hi Alice,

How are you feeling? I'm coming up on week 5 of my humerus head fracture suffered on Christmas Eve. I'm so tired of the sling & doing everything with just one arm. I'll have an x-ray & then if all is well with that, I'll be starting physical therapy. I'm hopeful to return to work sooner rather than later. Recovery from an injury like this is very slow. I get out several times each day for short walks to gain more energy. Well, I just wanted to say hello.

Linda

• Posted

Hello Linda,

II have started Physio and massage,and it was good that afternoon,but the following day seemed to be worse.It still hurts when I pick things up,or turn indifferent ways..I suppose,at least once you start exercises,you will feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel,and it will be even better when you can go back to work.I was allowed to function normally when I fractured the collarbone,but maybe that was because of the weeks that the injury went undiscovered.The therapist noticed I have limited movement in my neck,and isn't sure if it is from osteo,whiplash,the fractured collarbone,or the whole lot.I had a heat pack on it las t night,as the stiffness and nagging pain was bad.I was so frustrated not being able to do anything for one week after Breast surgery last year,so I don't know how I would cope with weeks of inaction.

Take care.

Alice

• Posted

Dear Linda,

I am sorry to hear about your injury. Remarkably, I suffered the same injury as you in my left shoulder too Christmas Eve just gone and while ice-skating!!! How ironic is that. This happened to me in Ireland! I had an operation because it was a spiral fracture so a rod was placed inside. I was told to wear a sling but after a week I stopped wearing the sling and started doing gentle exercises for my wrist and elbow. I did not allow my arm to dangle though. When I got my staples out (after 3 weeks), I started doing my physio exercises straight away and now 5 weeks later, I am doing really great. The day after the operation I started walking 4 miles (2 miles uphill), every day and every day since. Since I got the staples out I have allowed my arm to swing as I walk. I believe gentle exercise such as walking, is needed to help the healing. I do my physio exercises A LOT and listen to my body as I do them. Regarding nutrtion and for bone repair, I drink a pint of warm milk with honey and cinnamon every morning and again in the evening. I also take 1 vitamin D 3 and Vitamin K tablet every day. We do not have much sun here in Ireland, so taking Vitamin D is important for bone repair. I eat Sugar/Custard apples. These you can find in an Asian store.They are high in calcium and are actually prescribed by doctors in India when patients present with broken/fractured bones!! I also drink lots of water which is required for the healing. The doctor told me that it would take 6 months to fully recover, but really I think this depends on every patient. The following factors will influence the speed of recovery - age, nutrtion, smoking, drinking alcohol, how often you take exercise, how often you do your physio exercises, how much  good quality sleep you are getting. 

I can understand your frustraion, but how about putting that energy into another activity/hobby. What would you love to do that you didnt have the time to do before? I used this opportunity to set up an online business!! Also, your injury only happened 5 weeks ago. Our wonderful bodies need time to heal - respect the wonderful work that your body is doing now. Furthermore, at least you can walk around. For those with a broken leg, walking would not be as easy!! Regarding drying your hair, how about going to your hairdresser once per week to treat yourself. This will lift your spirits too. Do you think you are too old for ice skating? Age is just a number when it comes to having funsmile Best wishes with your recovery and feel free to reach out if you have any questions

• Posted

Oh my goodness! It's a small World, isn't it? First, thank you for reaching out to me & sharing your positivity. Who would have thought there'd be another ice skating incident similar to mine only in Ireland! Did you fracture the humerus head as well? I fractured the greater tuberosity. Mine was a clear nondisplaced fracture. You mentioned yours was a spiral fracture. What day did you have your surgery? You're an inspiration. Do you mind if I ask your age? Have you ever broken a bone before? This is my first and hopefully my last. Like you I am taking a vitamin D3 supplement & loads of Tums for calcium. I am eating healthy & getting good sleep. Unfortunately I tweaked my right knee when I fell & MRI thankfully showed no tears. I received a cortisone shot & am now increasing my walks each day. I return to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow for additional x-Rays and then hopefully right on to PT. I'm only doing range of motion exercises. I've followed their directions but wonder if I'm doing too little. I am an audiologist & wish to return back to work sooner rather than later. Do you work? I've been having my hair done at least once a week, but it doesn't last. How much are you doing with your shoulder?

It was wonderful hearing from you. Plz stay in touch.

Linda

• Posted

That is wonderful advice you have given fionnuala.I have replied to Linda also,although my shoulder injuries are different.I work part time with my husband,but am going to start an online business.I have a lot of hobbies,but also enjoy doing puzzles,reading,and even trying to get back to my hand made buttons I make.We are lucky to have sunshine,summer and winter,but have to be careful of skin cancers,as I have had a few spots and lumps removed,so I am low in Vitamin D.Regular calcium and Vitamin D intake is a necessity,as is walking,which I enjoy.I have a good diet,with lots of fresh fruit and veggies,which we are lucky to have cheap,and in abundance.I don't smoke or drink,only a glass of wine on special occasions,and am slightly below weight for height.I am 69 in May,so life is pretty good for me,apart from the annoying inconvenience of Osteoarthritis,osteopenia,whiplash from accidents,fractured shoulder,and now rotor cuff tears and Bursitis.I figure that I can get up and still accomplish a lot in my day,and I really enjoy life.I think of three friends who all have terminal bowel/brain cancer,and will be lucky to see the end of the year,and appreciate my lot.Your positivity is awesome,and I wish you well in your recovery,and future.
    • Posted

Who says 57 is too old to skate? 

(i fell off my roof while fixing the cooler at 59.)

i wrote my shoulder/full body sob story in the frozen shoulder section.

Vitamens:

Please look into vitamen K2

it's supposed to be absolutely essential for bone growth, especially if you take D3 and calcium, and to avoid osteoporosis. There are many videos on youtube.

My best friend kept bugging me until i finally listened and started taking it.

Also, the PTs and OTs insisted that i needed 1000mg of vit C for pain; don't know if it helped, but i bought some and took lots until recently.

ibuprofin can complicate things:

i found out (on pub med and nim websites) that nsaids like ibuprofin (prostoglandin inhibitors, esp.) can slow certain types of healing and cause excessive hypertrophic and keloid scarring; not common knowledge, the doctors don't know this and gave me huge bottles of the stuff, but after developing painful and ugly hypertrophic scarring i now avoid them,.

Best wishes to you. if your break was simple, you should heal quickly, i sure hope so. (Mine was a mess, so it's taking a long time).

57 ain't that old. i don't even consider 59 old, and will argue with anyone who says so.

• Posted

Mary,

So nice to hear from you. I was feeling pretty young while I was ice sharing, but not so much after the fall & shoulder fracture. Ha ha

I'm back at work part-time as an audiologist and doing pretty well I guess for being at 8 weeks post fracture. I continue to do my exercises 4 times each day, but I am not able to raise my arm straight forward & up yet. It's pretty discouraging. I return to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow for a recheck. If I'm laying down, I can raise my arm overhead, but not while standing. Maybe I'm rushing it.

I am taking all the vitamins you mentioned & no ibuprofen. My doctor did mention that it interferes with healing a fracture like this. Who knew? I'll check into the vitamin K2 you mentioned. Thanks.

How long ago was your fall? Thanks for saying I'm not old @ 57! It's just what I needed to hear.

My best,

Linda

• Posted

i fell in may of 2014, but mine was a very complicared injury (compound fractures, pneumothorax, blood transfusions, brain trauma, etc.), so you're probably healing  faster than me. i hope you are.

i thought it would take about a year for me, but it will probably be longer. 

( guess i'm not as tough as i thought.)

Still, i'm OK, getting better, and back to work a little. Not as much as some people think i should, but doing my best. i think all the tylenol and ibuprofin was draining my energy, and feel much better now, on tramadol. So far.

Don't forget your K2!

• Posted

Hi Linda, how is your shoulder doing now, did you regain full motion and external rotation?
  • Posted

Dear Linda, Yes for sure it is incredible that it happened to us both the same way and the same day!! I had a spiral fracture which means the bone was twisted apart which is why a rod was needed. A clean break would have been better! The operation took place the following day - Christmas Day and I was very grateful for it becuase the pain was so intense! I am 31 and never broke a bone prior to this. That is really great that your knee is doing good and that you are taking Vitamin D and getting good sleep. If you feel like you can do more exercises then go for it. Just take it slowly and really listen to your body. There will be a little pain on the bons as you do your exercises which is normal,  but too much pain puts stress on this area and will hinder healing so yes, listening to your body is keysmile Best wishes with your healing recovery x
  • Posted

Dear Alice,

Your enthusiasim and positivity is just as awesomesmile That's super to hear that you are getting out there and making the best of your situation. Regarding osteoarthritis, have a look into cryotherapy. I recently heard of someone who used this for their arthritis and found it amazing. 

• Posted

Thanks so much fionnuala,I will certainly look into it.Unless I get a flare up,it is not too bad in summer,but once winter sets in,that is when it is at it's worst. Sports physiotherapist has said to use a soft splint for the wrist,but this could be interesting,now that the right wrist has started playing up as well,probably from the fall.I will wrapped up like a mummy.😄

Take care,

Alice

• Posted

Hi there! I went to the doctor yesterday & the x-rays show the fracture is fully filled in at the 5 week mark so I took the sling off & started physical therapy today. I have a long way to go but I am moving around better. The goal is for 2 weeks of range of motion therapy followed with 2 weeks of strengthening. The exercises have proved challenging but I am determined to do them @ least four times a day & have the best outcome possible. How are you doing at our 5 week anniversary?

My best,

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.